Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i was at school today and we were taking a tour of the machine shop.. they have all this equipment to bore/stoke/port&polish and all that good stuff... i am wondering.. were can i get just the 2.4L block? I am gonna expirement with one...

I really think its possable to turn it into a 2.7L if bored .30 over... however not sure how far it will go... my idea was to somehow turn it into a 3.0L...

If i could figure out the set up on this... i could garentee you that you would see gains of over 150whp/150tq.... it worked when i did a test on a 109 block that came out of an wrecked 86 t-type... with boring .40 over (aka the stage II set up.. but not quite...) i was able to increase the Litres from 3.8.. to a 4.2... i got it back together and put the new pistons and rods in it.. and put the engine in a test car.... it dyno'd at 327whp and around 456lbs of torque... that was over a 100tq gain... and almost 100hp.. on stock boost.

This leads me to believe... that if i could successfull get the SRT engine to around 2.7Litres that would push the car to some were in the neighborhood of 325whp and 350lbs/tq on stock boost... however the hard part about this project is the compression and finding pistons that will fit a srt that has been bored out.. my friend has a bunch of stock Ls1 and mustang v8 pistons.. laying around...

So were gonna play with it until we figure out how much it would take to get that Ls1 piston in it...

With a formula i found on this website... and basic calculations... if i could squeeze that LS1 piston in the car.. it would come out to around 2.8-2.9 litres... if i can get the thing to around 3.0... this engine.. would become a HUGE powerplant for massive amounts of torque... if i can get this to work,..

We could be looking at around 375whp and 400lbs of torque... on stock boost... however... cryo treating the block.. sleeves and Anchoring the head down... would probaly have to be done... this is why im trying to figure out how much this engine could be bored out.. then agian.. i could be TOTALY WRONG about this...

but if im not.... and this lil formula is correct.. im sure there will be a few 600whp-700whp SRT's on the streets...

Any comments or Critisim is welcome....

ONCE AGIAN THIS IS JUST AN EXPIREMENT!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
WOW, if I'd known 3 weeks ago, I could have helped you out. I just did a new short block on mine and gave away my old one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spineshank385 said:
interesting.......good luck

thank you.. but i have to get my hands on a block first... of course there is a huge chance the engine will go boom... but then agian.. its a risk someone has to take for the good of the SRT community..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slow79ford said:
Wanna work on a rwd conversion experiment while you're at it?
your right slow79ford

you know that would be a great idea... cause with all that torque and power... i forgot about putting that to the ground :lol:

all that power is useless if you cant get it to the pavement...

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
its can be done with a combo of a lil boring and new rods/piston combo. I have a friend who is running around with a 2.7L turbo 1g neon....

·
Registered
626 Posts
check the srt problems/dealer service section. there are enough people there complaining about how they have a CEL for like a misfire and wish they never bought the car :rofl:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Sounds like it'll be a monster. 3.0 L on a 4cyl. Daayum. What did the Mopar teams do to their blocks that are pushing 800+ hp?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
2.7 is about as far as you can go.. Any more and the Cylinder walls are too thin it has been tried. What is done now is a a 20 Overbore with a stroker Crank to make it to 2.7. Good luck with your endeavor I can tell you that torque will be through the roof with a 2.7 Litre.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NeonDan said:
its can be done with a combo of a lil boring and new rods/piston combo. I have a friend who is running around with a 2.7L turbo 1g neon....

Neondan thanks man, now that i see 2.0 (or was it the SRT engine?) has become a 2.7.. this gives me hope for possably a 3.1-3.2 litre.. but im gonna try not to push that :lol: :lol:

........yet :eveilgrin

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
BigWoody said:
2.7 is about as far as you can go.. Any more and the Cylinder walls are too thin it has been tried. What is done now is a a 20 Overbore with a stroker Crank to make it to 2.7. Good luck with your endeavor I can tell you that torque will be through the roof with a 2.7 Litre.

who's done it how much and where :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JustANeonButBadass said:
check the srt problems/dealer service section. there are enough people there complaining about how they have a CEL for like a misfire and wish they never bought the car :rofl:

they should try induction cleaning and a new set of wires/plugs perferably the NGK's 8.5mm and some denso iradium... my brother had a horrable misfire.. and when he got the NGK's and denso's in.. and did an induction clean.. the misfire went away... now all we gotta do is get rid of the back fire the 3" exhaust makes.... :crying:

·
Banned
27,026 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GAngel said:
i'd definately line up with money if this could safely be done without the boom factor.
give me time... when i finish school in the next 6mo,.. ill save up some money from being a techition and fiddle with it btw,.. the school said i could come back and use the shop any time i wanted!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
stock manifold/turbine scroll area is small enough for the 2.4 as it is, lets not try to squeeze that much more exhaust through it...try it with a new manifold and turbo IMO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dark-SRT4 said:
stock manifold/turbine scroll area is small enough for the 2.4 as it is, lets not try to squeeze that much more exhaust through it...try it with a new manifold and turbo IMO.
good idea... once agian,. keep the comments comming.. thanks dark srt4

btw i was off on my calculations..

ima try to get it to a 2.8L

2.4L conversion to a 2.8L... thats aroudn 275whp and 300lbs of torque..

but of course this is were more boost comes in... new waste gate... and 20psi of boost... 6.5more psi than stock.. lets just estimate thats around 65 more whp,...

were around 340whp/360lbs/tq

add a nice intake, throttle body and a turboback exhaust.. to open her up a bit.. and a bigger exhaust manifold.. ive seen supras when given a turbo back exhaust with all the resonators cut out... intake.. probaly 5-7 throttle body... probbaly another 5-7.. and i wouldnt be suprized to see with that much more boost... and with .4 more litres.. i wouldnt be suprized if i saw a 50hp gain from a turbo back exhaust w/o a cat.. or w/ a gutted one.

So our new est. hp is.. 400whp... and since the extra litres.. the torque will rise even faster.. so by this point.. 435-450lbs/tq could possably be atainable....

time for a bit of head work.. and a raised rev limiter to 7,000... and of course.. lets add a upgraded fuel system.. fuel pump.. 750cc injectors..
and add alot of tuning... i could see 435whp/500lbs tq

time for a bigger turbo... and a FMIC and I/C sprayer... now lets add 5more psi of boost...

new estimate... 500whp/575lbs tq....

intake manifold (since we have the forged crank, pistons, rods, and so fourth.. from the 2.8 conversion.. lets add more boost..) 5 more psi of boost...

550-575whp 630-675tq

oh god now im day dreaming agian.. :rofl: :rofl: this will probaly never happen

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Hahaha. All I know is that I'm never selling my SRT-4 and when I put too many miles on it it'll be time to rebuild the block and turn it into an all-out race car. So if you could do all that stuff I will be following you! SRT-4's are reaching 500 hp on stock internals - make everything even more beefier and open up some more breathing room in there and I'm sure 650+ hp is attainable.

Go man go!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts