Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I noticed recently my car won't shift into first until I come to a complete stop or under 5mph I've owned the car almost 12 years now and it has never been like that any idea what could cause that???? I don't have any grinding or popping issued at all shifts smooth as butter. I did install the agp extender and selector today for shits and giggles. It almost feels like a clutch engagement issue i did a clutch in the car a few years back with new motor fork I feel maybe the forks worn again??? I do have a spare I was going to modify when I install my act clutch. Just wasn't sure why all of a sudden my car is doing this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could be the worn clutch fork but could also be the crossover adjustment. Try doing the adjustment and see if that fixes it first. Does the car go into gear fine when the car is off? Also do you have any issues with other gears? I know when my fork was bad 1st and reverse were a pain. If it is indeed the fork get a modified wikyd fork from Rob Moreno.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Also could be a shift cable bushing issue. Check those out too.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done the cable adjustment also installed new booger bushings. It goes into every gear smoothly if i roll in reverse it will go straight into 1st not matter how fast im rolling but if I drive normally and go to shift into first it won't unless I'm under 5mph or completely stopped. Its never done this before so I'm not sure. I am leaning towards the clutch fork I did replace it but it's got some miles on it now. I was either going with a wikyd fork or just do the stainless screw mod. Other then that the trans shifts great no other issues at all. I bought the car with 33k miles it now has 128k but I've replaced the clutch somewhere in between cant remember the exact miles. I do have a act 6 puk waiting to go in.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
sorry i cant be of more help... I never attempt to place the car into 1st while rolling.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its alittle wierd going into first unless I come to a complete stop. When I try to shift into 1st above 5mph it feels like a clutch engagement issue like the clutcj isn't pressed in when trying to go to 1st. Even if I double clutch it won't go unless I stop or under 5mph. It's not a major issue just a slight inconvenience when in traffic and what not. I talked my brother into buying a 05 orange blast srt4 got it super cheap because the rockers were rotted out. I welded rockers on it out a clutch in it and this really wierd modified clutch fork it had some what looked to be stainless squares tie welded into the fork. I plan on doing my clutch soon so maybe it will fix my issue who knows lol.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Out of curiosity today on the way home from work I attempted to do what you’re describing. I attempted to put it into 1st at about 20mph and it didn’t go. Around 15mph it slid right in. (Keep in mind, every one of our cars has had a differing array of abuse) this is with basically a brand new ACT clutch and wikyd fork.
The other observation I’ve made is that at under 10mph my car will still easily pull up to speed in 2nd gear. (Hell some guys used to launch these cars in 2nd at drag strips). So I can’t really see a time when it’s necessary to shift into 1st at anything over 5mph.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car don't pull out for shit in 2nd neither does my brothers idk how people launch these cars in 2nd. I've owned the car for 12 years put 100k miles on it myself. I plan on putting my new clutch in soon anyway but its an inconvenience having to pretty much stop completely to shift to first to pull out again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is very confusing and odd bc even toasteroven's old write up about buying a used srt stated how 1st is a no go unless youre almost at a total stop. I take off in 2nd often for a rolling stop and bc 1st is so picky I dont even use it unless its at a light. Sometimes using 2nd I may ride the clutch a little more than needed but it takes off great and seems to do ok.

Shift selector maybe? Besides tranny internals, Im about to do everything to mine aswell... so maybe it changes.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did just install an agp shift selector and gear extender thinking it may help it didnt lol. It definitely made the shifting more positive and firm which I'm happy about atleast. This has been an issue now for a few months it only recently started doing this. Hell my car use to down shift to 1st even doing 30 I just lied annoying my neighbors lol. I may pull the trans apart when I do the clutch I've been running synchromesh in the trans for years now but I may try 10w40 mobil 1.

Reactions: DarKKnight54

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hell my car use to down shift to 1st even doing 30
Wow, yeah I def have never been able to do that... Im going to search the forum tonight see what comes up. I have probably only seen 1 person on FB ask about 1st gear, youd think with all the new owners that come along that it would be brought up as a 'issue' w the car. Interesting to hear you put 100k on it and it just started. Good luck man

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks yeah I love this car I've had it close to 12 years now. Finally talked my brother into buying one. Just did a clutch in his and magnaflow exhaust system. He got the car for 2k wish I paid that for mine lol I paid 13k for it back then with 30k miles.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
common issue.. clutch not fully disengaging because fork worn.. simple work around. is to replace the clutch pivot and adjust it out a tad more.. dcr and others sell them on ebay for $30

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was leaning towards something like that i did replace the fork and pivot but its got probably 70k on it now. I'm gonna get another pivot and install my act clutch with a modd3e fork and should be good to go hopefully

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna see about changing my bruce jenner fluid again I'm running pennzoil synchromesh i have no complaints but didn't notice much of a difference from the atf4 I was thinking of trying mobil 1 10w40 but not 100% sure what I wanna do quite yet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts