Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
NOTHING else will fit the SRT manifold because the turbo exhaust housing is built right in to the exhaust manifold. The only way you are going to put a 20G on it is to replace both turbo and manifold. HAHN racecraft makes a manifold that will bolt to the 20G, and the NA PT Cruiser head which theoretically will fit, if you want to call them about it.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kyle said:
NOTHING else will fit the SRT manifold because the turbo exhaust housing is built right in to the exhaust manifold. The only way you are going to put a 20G on it is to replace both turbo and manifold. HAHN racecraft makes a manifold that will bolt to the 20G, and the NA PT Cruiser head which theoretically will fit, if you want to call them about it.
Are you referring too the GT Cruiser head?

What is max boost on the 20g vice the 16G? I am looking to propell the HP range to 300.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hemidakota said:
What is the difference between the Mitsu 16G (currently on the SRT-4) vice the 20G on the Mitsu Evolution? Will the turbo fit on the turbo exhaust manifold?
Where did you read that the Mitsu Evo has a 20G? Last I knew it has had a IHI turbo and then some 16g variants. There are different types of 20G turbos - some are hybrids (built from 16g's with bigger compressor housings), others are real 20g's with bigger exhaust housings. I would prefer a ball-bearing turbo instead of a 20g.

Check out http://www.dsm.org for more information.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1slosrt said:
hemidakota said:
What is the difference between the Mitsu 16G (currently on the SRT-4) vice the 20G on the Mitsu Evolution? Will the turbo fit on the turbo exhaust manifold?
Where did you read that the Mitsu Evo has a 20G? Last I knew it has had a IHI turbo and then some 16g variants. There are different types of 20G turbos - some are hybrids (built from 16g's with bigger compressor housings), others are real 20g's with bigger exhaust housings. I would prefer a ball-bearing turbo instead of a 20g.

reading the Automobile mag test done on the 04 Mitsu Evo (19psi boost level)..

·
Registered
41 Posts
hemidakota said:
1slosrt said:
hemidakota said:

reading the Automobile mag test done on the 04 Mitsu Evo (19psi boost level)..
I've got to believe that Automobile mag is wrong. A 20g turbo at 19psi should be making MUCH more than 271hp on that Mitsu 2.0L. I would guess it is going to be around a 16g size turbo.

·
Registered
449 Posts
hemidakota said:

What is max boost on the 20g vice the 16G? I am looking to propell the HP range to 300.
No, HRC makes turbo kits for the normally aspirited PT cruiser, which has a very similar head. Same bolt pattern, same exhaust ports as the SRT/GT head.

Do a google search and you will find 50 different compressor maps for different configured 20G turbos, and don't get hung up worrying about boost pressure, you need to think more about CFM than pressure if you are going to fit the engine with a new turbo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kyle said:
hemidakota said:

No, HRC makes turbo kits for the normally aspirited PT cruiser, which has a very similar head. Same bolt pattern, same exhaust ports as the SRT/GT head.

Do a google search and you will find 50 different compressor maps for different configured 20G turbos, and don't get hung up worrying about boost pressure, you need to think more about CFM than pressure if you are going to fit the engine with a new turbo.
Ok, I've owned a DSM for over 7 years know - I have been to HRC and used to go to TAD Motorsports all of the time. I have had lots of tuning experience with them - my friends all owned them too (we have had everything from IHI turbos to 18g's to custom turbos)

Second, what are you talking about? A normally aspirited PT cruiser has a similar head to a Mitsu Evo motor? Are you nuts? We are talking about the Mitsu EVO not the SRT/PT Turbo.

20G turbos are not very "supported" by Mitsu, so I would be very surprised to find one on the Evo. Evo's up to this point have had IHI turbos (I had one of my Talon) and 16g turbos (different sizes). They also ran much less boost from the factory (I think normally at most 16psi). So, like I said, I would be shocked if they are running 19psi on a 20g turbo. So there are 50 compressor maps for 20g turbos - they all flow similar numbers (around 650cfm). A "big" 16g from the EVO III will flow around 550cfm (gee, the same numbers as HRC's Super 16g) Some are TD05's with a 20g compressor wheel, some are TD06H's, TD06S's, etc. And then you can add porting of the housing and clipping of the wheel to this equation. And yes, I know all about CFM. But I still think Auto mag has it wrong - come on, look how much wrong information was printed in the mags about the SRT-4.

·
Registered
449 Posts
1slosrt said:
Second, what are you talking about? A normally aspirited PT cruiser has a similar head to a Mitsu Evo motor? Are you nuts? We are talking about the Mitsu EVO not the SRT/PT Turbo.
What are you talking about? I never mentioned a word about the Mitsu Evo motor. I don't see how you think I even implied that the head of the PT Cruiser and the Evo are similar. Maybe you are more interested in the Mitsu Evo, but the original poster wanted to know how to put a 20G on his SRT, I answered the question, I guess that makes me "nuts". :roll:

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I found it funny that the srt4 tdo4 has a stock 16g. I know PVO has an upgrade turbo for the srt. Its a td05. I wonder how they will have that thing fit. The turbine housing is very small on the srt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kyle said:
1slosrt said:
What are you talking about? I never mentioned a word about the Mitsu Evo motor. I don't see how you think I even implied that the head of the PT Cruiser and the Evo are similar. Maybe you are more interested in the Mitsu Evo, but the original poster wanted to know how to put a 20G on his SRT, I answered the question, I guess that makes me "nuts". :roll:
You need to worry about boost pressures because what do you think CFM's are rated at?! :roll:

Interesting point, though, that you can take the exhaust manifold for a 2.4 and bolt it up to a SRT-4 motor. Just have to put a BOV somewhere else....

Unless you are going to drag race only, I would stay away from a 20g. A friend of mine has a FWD Talon with a 20g turbo and it has MAJOR traction problems, even on the freeway at 60-70mph. Also, 20g turbos don't have the greatest reliability record as the center sections/bearings are too small for the size of compressor wheel. They have a tendency to destroy center sections. Read some of the archives on www.dsm.org.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i'm pretty sure that the only difference in a 16g and a big 16g is the exhaust housing....and the compressor wheel ....could be wrong though...but the 16g has a 6cm exhaust housing and the big 16g has a 7cm exhaust housing......i know that much....

·
Registered
41 Posts
silversrt4 said:
i'm pretty sure that the only difference in a 16g and a big 16g is the exhaust housing....and the compressor wheel ....could be wrong though...but the 16g has a 6cm exhaust housing and the big 16g has a 7cm exhaust housing......i know that much....
505cfm vs. 550cfm

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
SRT4finally said:
damn, an EVO has a 16G twin scroll, an SRT has a small 16G turbo. An evo does not come w/ a 20G!
damn, you replied to a post that has been over for a year

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
man o man.

The current EVO has a 'BIG' 16g tdo5 (same as mopar stage 3 turbo)

The SRT4 has a tdo4 (14b mistu turbo) with a 16g compressor wheel on it hence why they call it a tdo4-16g.

A true 16g IIRC was a straight tdo5, the only difference with the BIG 16g would be the wheels.

A 20g(straight tdo6) will support upwards or 350-400whp! I have seen many 2.0liter MR2's make an easy 300rwhp @ 17-19psi and 390rwhp around 24psi. This turbo is llaaagggyyyy.

A feasable upgrade would be to port the SRT4 stock manifold and squeeze in a TRUE tdo5 16g, this will give us an easy 300whp at around 18-19psi.

variants:
tdo4-16g
tdo5-16g (various housings)
tdo5-20g (called an 18g)
tdo6-20g

·
Registered
336 Posts
silversrt4 said:
Incorrect...16G's come with 7cm housings as well and the only diff between the two are the compressor wheels and the internal size of the housing.

Ummm...I don't think so that the Evo comes with and IHI either. Try a mistsu turbo. If you saw and IHI it was aftermarket.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
blusrt-4 said:
Ummm...I don't think so that the Evo comes with and IHI either. Try a mistsu turbo. If you saw and IHI it was aftermarket.
True dat!

For those of you who think that an evo creating 19psi should be making more power...you need to consider that this is Stock...remember...10.0:1 or less A/F ratios! if you lean that sucker out I would expect much higher numbers ;) But yes, a 20g EVO w/ 19psi would have awd traction problems ;)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
you guys also have to remember the EVO tapers off at redline just like our cars do.

I believe I read it hits 19 and ends up at around 13 or 14 at redline. I may be off a # or two though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
Dark-SRT4
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing