Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is it possible...no NOS,....no turbo.....no supercharger....and it runs on 91 Octane gasoline? Where are the so-called advance Japanese engines with the same setup? NOT...................like always.....all hype.

<SNIP>That's right--more than 1,000 horsepower and almost 900 lb-ft of torque from 565 ci on pump gas. No nitrous, no blower, no turbo--plus a single four-barrel and no need to twist the daylights out of the thing. It idles happily at 900 and maxes out at a fairly mild 7,100, but get this: The beast is already making 1,000 hp by 6,000 rpm. And in our day of dyno testing at Westech, this mill repeated the feat 20 times as tuning was optimized.<SNIP>

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
My 94 supra:
payed $23k 4.5 years ago with 55k miles.
Sold last month with 160k miles for $23K.

At 160k I was still over 400hp to the wheels with only about $1500 in mods and the only thing to fail besides the stock turbos at 100k(boosted them hard) was teh waterpump gasket! Now thats japanese reliability. :)

Alot of my buddies are over 1000 hp on stock internals. As Ekool about it.
:)

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Now if we could only fit that into our car! :wink:

I would have to throw some F/I at it. Can you say 1500+HP easy! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Thats not your normal engine either. Show me the internal setup. I know the Japanese engines are not going to be like that but I know that is not a regular beast kinda like the 602.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Youdrivewhat said:
Thats not your normal engine either. Show me the internal setup.
It may not be your preferred engine, but IT'S STILL AN ENGINE! :roll:

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RUgoinup said:
Youdrivewhat said:
Thats not your normal engine either. Show me the internal setup.
It may not be your preferred engine, but IT'S STILL AN ENGINE! :roll:
Not to forget...NO TURBO...NO NOS REQUIRED......NO SUPERCHARGER.....and running on 91 Octane.

Well? I am still waiting for any so-called advance Japanese engines with VTEC technology or other so-called better than the push-rod technology.

If that technology was that great, wouldn't you think that Dodge V-8 technology team would adapt? Maybe that is why Hemi design motor are notorious for most power for size ratio.

E

·
0 Posts
When you try to make power without using technology, it all boils down to displacement.

Imports (Japanese, at least) have not really concentrated on displacement -- It doesnt really make sense. Sure, its nice for "bragging rights" just like its nice to be able to say I make 200 hp/liter or whatever... but for all practical purposes, it doesnt really matter.

If a turbo car can make good power on 91 octane, why not use it? If you can get the fuel economy, and the durability and still do it on 91 octane (with a turbo) why not?

My supra has 112k miles and it runs 131mph in the 1/4 -- Its still on all factory internals, fuel system, etc.

I have yet to see a 560+ cubic inch motor making over 600hp do that.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
ekool said:
My supra has 112k miles and it runs 131mph in the 1/4 -- Its still on all factory internals, fuel system, etc.

You won't find too many factory 560's, so comparing that motor to a Supra's motor isn't fair.

If you consider the cost to build each motor, the cubes will win in HP per dollars spent.

I think they're both great motors actually!

E

·
0 Posts
I agree..

Based on the vehicles I have, you know that I have no preference as far as Import vs. Domestic, etc..

I believe you use the right tool for the job.

Saying a motor is better just because it makes 1100 hp on 91 octane without any power adders doesnt work, unless you describe the situation that this motor needs to fit.

I can think of ALOT of situations that a 3L turbo charged that can put out 450hp on 91 octane will fit the bill much better... such as in a car that is used for daily activity where gas mileage matters.

·
Registered
390 Posts
This is true motor, I mean turbos and superchargers have been used in race cars as early as the 30s, thats one of the main reasons I get really pissed when ppl think this is new tecnolagy, well learn the hisory of cars and you learn its not new at all. In fact making a 1000 hp N/A motor take way more knollage and skill then just pumping the engine full of psi. Heck you can still use forced induction on that motor and make a ton more power. Turbos can make up for N/A displacement but a turbo and displacment is the best, look at top fuel dragsters, theres no 3.0l there.

E

·
0 Posts
And quite a few of them cant even last 4 seconds..

Alot of people miss very basic points.

No one motor fits everyones needs, so its okay to admit that one motor may be better at something... especially in someone elses eyes and situations.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ekool said:
When you try to make power without using technology, it all boils down to displacement.

Imports (Japanese, at least) have not really concentrated on displacement -- It doesnt really make sense. Sure, its nice for "bragging rights" just like its nice to be able to say I make 200 hp/liter or whatever... but for all practical purposes, it doesnt really matter.

If a turbo car can make good power on 91 octane, why not use it? If you can get the fuel economy, and the durability and still do it on 91 octane (with a turbo) why not?

Lets used your logic....turbo 500 cubic and what happens? Supercharged 500 cubics and what happens? Never meet the same level of power.

Get back to 600HP thats old. It already been done with the Viper engines 842RWHP (TTurbo at 6PSI per each) and still running. Then we have the 505 cubic 500HP and next the 8.7ltr that will produce over 600HP (coming for the GTS version).

With mileage, it goes back tothe owner take care of the car. I had a Toy and not impress with anything but the engine. The rest of of the car fell apart.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ekool said:
I agree..

Based on the vehicles I have, you know that I have no preference as far as Import vs. Domestic, etc..

I believe you use the right tool for the job.

Saying a motor is better just because it makes 1100 hp on 91 octane without any power adders doesnt work, unless you describe the situation that this motor needs to fit.

I can think of ALOT of situations that a 3L turbo charged that can put out 450hp on 91 octane will fit the bill much better... such as in a car that is used for daily activity where gas mileage matters.
Same logic as with the Supra producing 300HP at the crank but the reality is 240 or in that neighborhood. Depending on the setup, your losses are based drivetrain losses. Not more than 22 percent on any new Dodge driveline.

E

·
0 Posts
hemidakota said:
ekool said:

Lets used your logic....turbo 500 cubic and what happens? Supercharged 500 cubics and what happens? Never meet the same level of power.

Get back to 600HP thats old. It already been done with the Viper engines 842RWHP (TTurbo at 6PSI per each) and still running. Then we have the 505 cubic 500HP and next the 8.7ltr that will produce over 600HP (coming for the GTS version).

With mileage, it goes back tothe owner take care of the car. I had a Toy and not impress with anything but the engine. The rest of of the car fell apart.
Can you please show me _any_ viper with over 100k miles on it? Much less a twin turbo version?

Can you show me a viper motor that gets 22 miles to the gallon? Most stock version get about 12.

Like I said, smaller displacement motors definetly have their place in the world.

Im not going to argue the issue anymore, anybody who cant see the point I'm trying to make isnt worth the time it takes me to argue with.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I beat my supra and drove the piss out of it. And with 160K miles putting down 400 to the wheels is bad ass. These are the only problems I encountered:

Blew turbos at 100k miles (boostin it)
Water pump gasket started to leak at 110k miles.
Radiator gasket started to leak about 110k miles

Electric anttena 115k miles.

Fuel meter slow to respond 150k miles.

At was driving to NY from FL and I hit 100k miles at south carolina. I was still getting 25mpg on the highway!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Supra TT's don't sell for less than 20k not only because they are great cars that are easily modded and retain reliabilty, but also because a lil movie called "The fast and the furious"

98 tt's still sell for almost 50k, thats rediculous.[/quote]

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
About this Discussion
171 Replies
24 Participants
hemidakota
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing