Dodge SRT Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of SRT Engineers will be monitoring only this thread on Thursday, October 27, 2005, from 6:00 p.m. EST–8:00 p.m. EST. They will answer any question posted here until 8:00 p.m. Check back between 6–8:00 p.m. EST this Thursday evening for answers to your questions. You can even carry on a live discussion with the SRT Engineers by posting back and forth during this time period!

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
ricekiller said:
why did dodge under rate the srt performance, like say its got 230hp when it has 225 to the wheels?
They are SAE-corrected numbers, probably. Current rumor has it so that they could sell more to the under-25 years of age crowd due to the low insurance rates on "Neon" sedans.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
ricekiller said:
why does the a/c smell funny?
This can be answered aswell.

It is condensation in your system or you are using the "fresh air" side of the air system instead of the recircualted and are getting a nasty smell from the car/truck/rig infront of you.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
ndswngs said:
why was the stock BOV placed back at the turbo instead of much further upstream near the throttle body? in the stock form the pressure needs to backfeed thru the system to get back to the bov for release.
Because you want to unload the compressor wheel to keep it spinning.....

The closer to the compressor wheel the BOV is, the quicker the pressure at the compressor wheel can be bled off = less drop in turbo rpm.

This is one of the reasons Psi-Fi designed their system with the BOV located in the compressor discharge tube............

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
It will be hard for us to moderate this thread, so we ask that the users please show proper respect and keep your questions short and simple and the 'gossip' and off topic discussion in another thread.

I did receive a call from the SRT Engineering team and they are definetly going to be sticking around answering questions until 8, so get your questions in!

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SRT Engineers are online now!

Just a note that due to corporate requirements we are not able to answer any questions regarding future product.

Also, we will answer as many questions as we possibly can until 8 pm tonight. We will continue to answer them at another time this week or next.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks!

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
iball said:
EXACTLY how many SRT-4 were built? Final numbers, please.

Since those of us with SRT-4 over here in Germany have really proven that the stock wing is practically useless on REAL roads, what was the REAL reason for the BAW (Big-Ass Wing)?

Exactly how many SRT-4 models will there be in 2007 when the much-maligned (for all the right reasons) Caliber hits the street? Will there REALLY be an SRT-4 Caliber?
And is the Caliber the REAL replacement for the Neon line or just another horrible "crossover" concept?

And is it me or is DCx model styling going to a more "Euro-like" approach? Is Europe having that much of an impact in the way Dodge is designing their U.S. market automobiles?
Around 25,000 SRT-4 units were built versus 5,000 originally planned. We will post the actual number in a few days.

BAW wing was done for appearance and there is some level of improved down force.

When we style vehicles, we look at styling trends worldwide and develop our own vision. The styling for Chrysler Group vehicles is completed in our US styling studios.

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Hi N Mity said:
can we run an aftermarket Oil Catch Can without any hassle from the dealerships and warrenty issues? Also, how about running Amsoil ATF with the friction modifier already mixed with it, in our trannies? will it void warrenties or affect the performance or life of the tranny?
What do you want to run the Oil Catch for? We don't test aftermarket products so we are not able to answer the question on the Amsoil. It is possible that it could void your warranty.

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
ricekiller said:
are 05s detuned. why do they not respond well to mods?
In 2003, the power was 215 HP and 245 ft-lb of torque.
In 2004, the torque was increased to 250 ft-lb and power to 230 HP.
There were no changes for 2005.
Therefore, the effect of the stage 1 Mopar package is not as significant on 2004 vehicles and beyond.

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
drizze99 said:
Yea, I want to know what's up with my 03 tranny or should I say the 03-05 trannies? As the weather gets colder, my tranny becomes more stubborn. Down shifting into 3rd & 2nd is a chore because it does not want to go into gear. Even when I am at a stoplight, and try to get the car to go into 2nd it gives me grief. I have 31+K on this tranny and it has shifted like this since day 1. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with it but I beg to differ. I have owned nothing but manual transmission cars in my 16 years of driving and this is the first car I have owned that fights with me to put it into gear. This is the only thing that really bugs me about the car and I would like a clear cut answer as to why this particular transmission does this.
The SRT4 transmission shift effort has been higher by design than other FWD transissions. A number of items to consider. The transmission was designed to operate on ATF+4 with a limited slip additive . All transmissions will generally shift with higher efforts cold and the type of oil , especially its viscosity, will greatly affect the spin time of the synchros. Other things to consider, A short throw will greatly increase the shift effort. Also, as a clutch wears its effort will go up and if not fully released, will affect the shift time and effort.

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Hi N Mity said:
whats with the 6" wide wheels? couldnt design the car with wider wheels?
The wheel and tire clearances required for street driving, and our desire to lower the suspension did not allow for a larger wheel and tire on the Neon platform. The Neon was not originally designed with an SRT in mind.

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
ENapa said:
1. Will there be a sedan version of the Caliber SRT that is not a mini suv/station wagon?

2. Any plans on dropping the price of S3R?

3. Also would like a complete list of production numbers.
Sorry, we are not able to comment on future product per corporate guidelines.

There are no plans to change the price of S3R.

Production numbers are approx 25,000 units versus 5,000 originally planned. Exact numbers will be posted at a later date.

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
srt364 said:
I have a vibration under my dash on both sides, it seemsto be coming from somewhere around the air vents. Have you encountered this problem? If so, what is it and how did you correct the problem? Thanks for your time.
There are many potential causes. Do you feel it in the steering wheel?

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
iball said:
Will future SRT-4s be sold in Europe?
Will ANY future SRT trim level model be sold in Europe?
If not, why? (I'm guessing TUV restrictions)

Did ANYONE at Dodge expect that SRT-4s would be sold in Germany through Military Car Sales and that they would be driven at top speeds on German autobahns?

By the way, the MCS SRT-4 "demo cars" are the most abused SRT-4s on the PLANET.
Sorry can"t answer questions about future products. There are SRT's sold in Europe today - Crossfire SRT6, Chrysler 300C SRT8, and Viper are sold there now. And no, we would have never guessed that the SRT4 would sell so well in Germany but frankly we love it

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Hi N Mity said:
whats is with the problem of the PCV valve problem we are all having? why wasnt there something designed to address the problem of getting oil down into the intercooler pipes? Should we get oil catch cans for the problem, or should we leave it as it was from the factory?
Blow-by from engine combustion is pulled off thru the PCV system. In the case of the SRT4, the hose vents it to the throttle body. If the engine has been heavily used, has seen many hours at excessive boost, the rings may be worn, which will cause more oil vapor thorought the engine. Catch cans are not recommended as they may be a fire hazzard and do not pass the emission regulations for the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.