Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make it through the 1/4 in 3rd gear without hitting fuel cut? I tried but couldn't do it. I literally shift into 4th for like 1 second. Now my other question is would it be better to shift into fourth a little earlier, maybe 5600 instead of 6000?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Good question.. I have heard people saying they were able to stay in 3rd, but I don't see how.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I shift at 6100rpm from 3rd to 4th. I am doing 88+mph and this is at the 1/8th mile mark. To be able to leave the car in 3rd for an entire 1/4, you would have to trap only 90mph. Not sure about stage 2 mph for 3rd because you have an extra 250rpm.

Steve B.

·
Registered
169 Posts
SDSrt-4 said:
Does anyone make it through the 1/4 in 3rd gear without hitting fuel cut? I tried but couldn't do it. I literally shift into 4th for like 1 second. Now my other question is would it be better to shift into fourth a little earlier, maybe 5600 instead of 6000?
I always have to shift into 4th. Depending on how well my launch is will determine where on the track I will shift to 4th. If I do it right I still take 4th up to about 5000 to 5500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
adam1371 said:
I always have to shift into 4th. Depending on how well my launch is will determine where on the track I will shift to 4th. If I do it right I still take 4th up to about 5000 to 5500.

So what are your quarter times if you hit 5500 in fourth...like 10 seconds @ 140?? Redline in fourth is somewhere around there..doesn't make much sense...I usually shift a bit before redline in 3rd to avoid shifting right at the line.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
SRTIZZLE6 said:
So what are your quarter times if you hit 5500 in fourth...like 10 seconds @ 140?? Redline in fourth is somewhere around there..doesn't make much sense...I usually shift a bit before redline in 3rd to avoid shifting right at the line.
huh i thought it was like 120 125. My friends goes almost to the top of fourth.
but he also has a huge snail. Me I get into 4th for a couple and its over.

·
SRTforums Member, SRT of the Month
3,015 Posts
I've found my 1/4 mile times to go down after I started shifting a little earlier and staying in 4th longer, and my mph went up. 3rd is a hard pulling gear but as we all know, on a stock turbo our cars die at around 58-5900 rpm, even with stage 2. I believe that 6500 w/S2, is actually there for S2 or for people going with bigger turbos. I like to shift around 5000 from 1st to 2nd, and around 52-5500 the rest of the way. On 04's powerband is 4300-5200rpm, I think.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
BluFlame said:
I've found my 1/4 mile times to go down after I started shifting a little earlier and staying in 4th longer, and my mph went up. 3rd is a hard pulling gear but as we all know, on a stock turbo our cars die at around 58-5900 rpm, even with stage 2. I believe that 6500 w/S2, is actually there for S2 or for people going with bigger turbos. I like to shift around 5000 from 1st to 2nd, and around 52-5500 the rest of the way. On 04's powerband is 4300-5200rpm, I think.

Agree... When you get Your best MPH is where you want to set shift points (this is where you measure the horsepower of your car). The rest of it is chassis tuning to get the ET(this is getting it properly to the ground) to match your MPH.

·
Registered
234 Posts
well the powerband is some where in between 4300 and 5.5k true but wouldn't you want to wind out each gear to get the fastest time? the car does start to drop off after 5k but no that bad. Nothing compaired to a mr2 or anything like that. But just common sense I think to wind out the gear due to the power multiplication of the lower gear ratios. My best time has been shifting at like 5.9k through 1-3.

·
Registered
169 Posts
SRTIZZLE6 said:

Traps are right around 100, time is a little slow, you should be going into 4th about 3/4 of the way down the track and shifting at 6000. Once you shift your RPM only drops to about 3500-4000. If you stay in 3rd your times will be worse than mine. You may be right, its probaly closer to 5000 flat or right around there. I usualy look after I go through the trap before I let off.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i had also found "powershifting" or WOT shift to make my time slower. and i wouldn't say i'm a complete rooking cause was pulling pretty good nighte the other friday .506 on a .500 bulb so i've practiced before haha might be my car though since i'm having problems with the shitter

·
Registered
757 Posts
I can't wait until Feb.
I don't know what it feels like to have to shift into 5th in the 1/4 :)
I was pulling pretty strong through the 1/4.
My 1/8 was 92-93 mph and my 1/4 was 120-122mph although my best et was 12.7 on street tires.
My goal is 130+ trap speeds...I will be there soon enough...it took my only $2500 to do 120+mph traps but man does it take some $$$ to get into the 130s. So far I'm adding up around $5k to build it correctly.

·
Banned
10,541 Posts
Corrado Kid said:
i had also found "powershifting" or WOT shift to make my time slower. and i wouldn't say i'm a complete rooking cause was pulling pretty good nighte the other friday .506 on a .500 bulb so i've practiced before haha might be my car though since i'm having problems with the shitter
if you are doing it right, then there is no possible way it will slow you down. and if you have problems in the shitter you shouldnt be at the computer. heheh. andyone can break a lucky light, so the .506 doesnt really shed much light on the situation.

j.r.:king:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
in my exp, 4th gear redlines around 130........but yeah, how can you make a 1/4 mi pass without going into 4th gear? I am damn near redline in 3rd gear when running the 1/8th (83pmh) I cant imagine staying in 3rd for the 1/4!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts