Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALCON,

I have an 06 Magnum SRT8 that ran horribly after I gutted the catalytic converters. A also installed a 3' cat-back exhaust at the same time. My check engine light showed an error code for the O2 sensor. I had it professionally tuned the next day to override the gutted cats, replaced the 02 sensor, and spark plugs. I drove 45 mins to an hour and it ran fine, until I ran low on gas. I noticed a stuttering/sputtering/surging/misfiring or whatever similar term afterwards. I took it back to the tuner and he reprogrammed it just to run fine for the day. The sputter began again the next day.
I decided to change the plugs again (thinking I had bad plugs) and that didn't help. I finally took the car back to a professional (different one this time) and they had no clue what the issue was. Afterwards I took it back to my tuner and he tried a new tune with no success.

Based on the description, can anyone provide guidance on what the issue could be and steps to repair it? Below is a list of upgrades and maintenance:

MOPAR CAI
180° TSTAT
3' MF Cat-back Exhaust
Gutted Catalytic Converters
Oil Catch Can

After the sputter:
BBK 85MM Throttle Body
BBK Long Tube View attachment 146447 Headers (pending installation)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
How many miles are on the car? What CEL codes do you have? You posted that after the exhaust setup and gutting the cats it started to sputter? What about your "BBK 85mm TB" You installed that even though you still had an issue with your car?

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 70k miles, no CEL Codes. After gutting the cats it had a horrible idle and misfiring because it was running rich. Once I got the tune it ran perfectly, until I ran low on fuel to to gas light coming on. It began to sputter on acceleration at low rpms. I installed the TB as recommended by my mechanic as one of the steps in his diagnostics.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 70k miles, no CEL Codes. After gutting the cats it had a horrible idle and misfiring because it was running rich. Once I got the tune it ran perfectly, until I ran low on fuel to to gas light coming on. It began to sputter on acceleration at low rpms. I installed the TB as recommended by my mechanic as one of the steps in his diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
4,372 Posts
do you normally run the gas down that much, or was this an odd occurrence for this car? If the car doesn't normally run that low on fuel, you may have sucked up trash from the bottom of the tank and clogged a fuel filter/fuel pump/ or injector(s).

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First time I've gotten that low. What's the best solution to unclog the filter/pump/injectors?

·
Premium Member
4,372 Posts
i dont know if they magnum has a traditional style fuel filter or a retarded one like the neons, but typically fuel filters just get replaced. as for pump/injectors, you could attempt some fuel system cleaner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts