Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was going to get the mopar lsd, but for a few hundred dollars less, i've found a complete transmission (20k mi) so i thought i'd take a crack at it. anyone know of any issues w/ swapping a stock 05 tranny (w/ lsd) into an 03? i've been reading up on some of the awesome & dramatic ptperformance vs. powertowin debates and some of the poll threads and it seems there might be an issue with particular 05 trannies having weaker parts, but this seems to be rather limited in scope.

i've got no big mods, stock turbo, < 300whp, so i'm not that worried about beefing it up right now. besides, i've still got my stocker if i need to reappropriate any parts. any ideas on issues or other insights are appreciated.

for the record, i can't exactly make out the build date, but it looks like 5/16/04 or something like that.

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
it should just bolt right in

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.

yah, i know it'll bolt right in, but is there anything special like "03 trannies had XYZ that was replaced by a crappy ABC on the 04s and 05s" or anything like that?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay that's the kind of info i'm looking for. anyone back this up or got something new to add?

thx owner.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
my 05 tranny has progessively gotten worse over the course of a year.

the shifting into the third is blocking me out at some times and doesnt seem to be getting easier and i dont think it will.

i have been reading around and it doesnt seem to be a power problem.

i have a spare o3 tranny that i picked up and will be swapping my lsd into that.

i highly suggest you do that as well.

but you never know it might be a good idea to see how you like the 05 but im almost sure that you will have third gear problems.

to answer your question it will swap right in.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay so your idea is to pull the lsd and drop it right into my current '03 then sell everything i didn't use... interesting... i might try that, but it's just so much easier to drop the old one and mount the new one.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nothing else then, eh?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
NEW QUESTION: i wonder if i should get a whole used '05 tranny for $900 (20k mi) or a used '04 quaife for $500 (28k mi)?

seems like the tranny is a better idea and i wouldn't have to get the tools slc is referring to in another thread. i could just bolt it right up and go, plus i'd have a spare tranny. but i'm not going overboard w/ the power and i don't abuse the tranny (very often) so i might just be paying for stuff i don't need.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
I've owned plenty of DCX cars and it's always been good idea to have a spare tranny laying around for parts. ;)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you know, now that you've reminded me, it was the tranny that went south first on both my '83 Charger and '86 daytona... your point alone has me 80/20 in favor of complete tranny vs. LSD alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts