Dodge SRT Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yep looks like a stock head car the way TQ nose dives

My car with similar turbo....with tiny .63 back half on single scroll. His powerband is almost 1000 rpms smaller. On a twin scroll with a large back half

My cams are Crower Stage 1, the head details are in the thread. The head is ported, with +1mm valves.

I think the power band is being affected by the small turbine housing, I think it's 0.83. I think that's on the low side for twin scroll.

I've probably going to stop here, but there's a lot left in the turbo. I figure I need a race intercooler, FIC 1650 injectors, larger turbine housing over 1.0, and Stage 2 cams to max it out. Power band is still better than the 60 trim.

·
Premium Member
6,835 Posts
0.83 is not that small. That might explain the late power band start or the wastegate control. A larger turbine housing will basically affect how soon you start to see boost power vs RPM, it generally comes in later. A number of factors affects this though; Compressor Housing Size, Compressor Wheel Size and Design, Turbo Manifold, Back Pressure Before the Turbine and Exhaust Outflow to name a few.

You definitely need larger injectors than 888cc for e85 and a better intercooler. Are these things you said above coming from Nigel, as to why you only have 500 or so RPM power window?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts

My car with similar turbo....with tiny .63 back half on single scroll. His powerband is almost 1000 rpms smaller. On a twin scroll with a large back half

My cams are Crower Stage 1, the head details are in the thread. The head is ported, with +1mm valves.

I think the power band is being affected by the small turbine housing, I think it's 0.83. I think that's on the low side for twin scroll.

I've probably going to stop here, but there's a lot left in the turbo. I figure I need a race intercooler, FIC 1650 injectors, larger turbine housing over 1.0, and Stage 2 cams to max it out. Power band is still better than the 60 trim.
My housing is smaller....and my cams are milder (bc s3). Yet your power falls off harder up top. Something is going on there and it's not the .83 back half

·
Premium Member
6,835 Posts
Jondahl, please do not take my feedback as attacks. Not bragging or perfect in anyway, this is an old sheet from Project Blue before I had 5 rebuilds, the shape of your curves should look something like this. Then you start making changes with input from your tuner on how to move the power band around and extend it. It is more cost effective this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Jondahl, please do not take my feedback as attacks. Not bragging or perfect in anyway, this is an old sheet from Project Blue before I had 5 rebuilds, the shape of your curves should look something like this. Then you start making changes with input from your tuner on how to move the power band around and extend it. It is more cost effective this way.
Holey moley! That's some big power on a Dyno Dynamics.

I think we sped the dyno tuning up a little too much, I wanted the car back but Nigel had a lot of trouble just getting it going. I haven't had a chance to do any logging at the track yet.

My BWS dyno curves looked great with a very smooth and flat power band with Dave's custom tune and E85. I've had troubles innumerable since going big turbo, and the powerband never looked as good. I thought about going back to the BWS last year, but the compressor was chewed.

·
Premium Member
6,835 Posts
Don't think you want to spend the money at this point, did you ask Nigel and Duster to get their input on the mods you have and where you should be. I recommend you don't rush things to just get the car back, make sure it is done right. Nigel should have suggestions on how to get the car where you want it.
Matt at Turbo Bay does good work on BWS turbos or any turbo, contact him for either turbo.
For example he did this for me on an 'old' T4 Turbonectics.:wink:

I think mine is a .70 AR Split Turbine housing

Attachments

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

I have a larger twin scroll AR cheap if you want it. Ill get the specs on it later if you want.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Adding the MpX FMIC with crash bar. Piece of spark plug got loose in Cylinder 4, so Nigel is going to do,some work. He'll be pulling the head and fixing at least one bent valve; might tell him to put in +2mm exhaust valves. Saw 564 avg for three runs on a Dynojet, hope for a bit more with the bigger intercooler. The car conked out in March, then i went in for radical cystectomy. I was out of action for quite a while, plus Lovett's Automotive kept it five months without looking at it. I bought a trailer and dragged it up to Nigel.

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
I saw your post on FB about your issues. Hopefully that bit of spark plug didnt completely ruin that cylinder, though i wouldnt get my hopes up.

BTW, do you know if nigel is still using the same dyno he had in the old shop?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Don't know about the Dyno Dynamics. Didn't he have a Mustang before?

Nigel found a melted valve, no piston melting! Assuming no bits damaged the turbine on the turbo, maybe this will be fairly cheap. Might put in +2mm exhaust valves while the head is apart. Big FMIC is going on next week.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Vehicle

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
New FWD Performance head going on, though we're reusing some parts. Also getting a big FMIC and 1650cc injectors hoping to get at least 480 on Nigel's dyno. Valve fragment punched a hole in a cooling channel.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
In Nigel and BST we trust :) Hoping for 480 on his dyno. I'll probably cut boost and run at Atlanta, then go to House of Hook or Silver Dollar and open it up. I got a new type of leg bag for the urostomy pouch hopefully all will work well and not leak. More worried about me leaking than the car leaking. Hope to pick it up on the 17th.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I'm getting it back Monday. The new FWD Performance head and BFMIC from Modern are working well. The AGP injectors were having problems. Two weren't flowing well. This probably caused the melted valve. Adding fuel with the Intune didn't work because of the injector problem. Nigel cleaned them, but we decided to go with 1650 injectors anyway.

He saw 505 whp on his DynoDynamics, 31 more than the previous high. Almost as much added power as a 58 Volkswagen! The cutout is busted and Needswings won't have the motor until next week.

My trailer was stolen from the area beside Nigel's garage, but they found it 4 days later about a mile from BST. The fool had it beside his house, uncovered. Thanks to God and the Maiden PD.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Dyno Dynamics curve attached. This is quite different from all previous tunes. Nigel ran this after the MPx FMIC was installed, along with FIC 1650 injectors and the FWD Perf. head. The top end is way different. It was rolling off above 6500, and now it's producing good power out to 7000. It's amazing, almost like going from Stage 1 to Stage 2 Crower cams. Waiting to get a motor for the electric cutout, but hope to race it Friday. Th
Text Line Technical drawing Parallel
is is with 30 psi and E85.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
BST installed the BoostBox and sensors. His vacuum line setup looks very different from what I've seen. I thought we'd get a power boost, but it is pretty much the same with the EBC, 503 hp. He says the fuel pump is probably a bottleneck now. I have a Walbro 450. The car was in shops from March 2020 to April of this year. Going to an 1/8 mile track Saturday.
Map Rectangle Schematic Slope Font

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
BST installed the BoostBox and sensors. His vacuum line setup looks very different from what I've seen. I thought we'd get a power boost, but it is pretty much the same with the EBC, 503 hp. He says the fuel pump is probably a bottleneck now. I have a Walbro 450. The car was in shops from March 2020 to April of this year. Going to an 1/8 mile track Saturday.
View attachment 147449
Got a 7.324 in the 1/8. Will install 525 pump and possibly Hydramat this winter. I beat the crap out of it 9 times Saturday, and it didn't blow up.The Intune 3 locked up every time I tried to log!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts