Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Very confusing. I have a 2005 GT PT turbo cruiser. It's running a little rough. Absolutely no rhyme or reason for any of these things-seems to happen whenever it wants to lol:

Once in awhile it starts to overheat. It will also rev up on me, and/or accelerate on me. I can take my foot off the gas and it will stay the same speed. Or it will accelerate faster on me on its own, and I have to really press on the brakes hard to slow it down.

The engine light is NOT on.
Fluid levels are fine as well.
Ran a diagnostic and these are the two codes I have:
P0300
P0304
Spark plug wires were changed out not long ago.
Has anyone else had these weird things happen? Or any ideas of what on earth it could be?

Thank you for your time and help!😊

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Hi everyone!

Very confusing. I have a 2005 GT PT turbo cruiser. It's running a little rough. Absolutely no rhyme or reason for any of these things-seems to happen whenever it wants to lol:

Once in awhile it starts to overheat. It will also rev up on me, and/or accelerate on me. I can take my foot off the gas and it will stay the same speed. Or it will accelerate faster on me on its own, and I have to really press on the brakes hard to slow it down.

The engine light is NOT on.
Fluid levels are fine as well.
Ran a diagnostic and these are the two codes I have:
P0300
P0304
Spark plug wires were changed out not long ago.
Has anyone else had these weird things happen? Or any ideas of what on earth it could be?

Thank you for your time and help!😊
How many miles are on your PT GT?

Those are cylinder misfire codes. I had a 05 PT GT 5 speed and had the p0304. fuel Injector number 4 was gummed up. Put new orings on all of them and it fixed my P0304 code.
Good idea to change the spark plugs if you have no idea the last time they were changed. NGK 4306 are great on these motors. A good gap for a stock vehicle is .040-.045. I believe OEM is .050 though. I also replaced the intake manifold gaskets too on mine. I had the composite intake manifold so there was an upper and lower set. (The intake gasket did not fix my p0304 BTW)

Overheating is not good. Cheapest thing is the thermostat. On one of my old SRT-4's it seemed to run a bit hot around 195-200. Put a new thermostat and radiator cap on for good measure and the issue was solved. If you have no idea when the coolant was replaced good idea to do that. Mopar 5yr/100k coolant or Zerex G05 are the only 2 coolants that should be used and can be mixed. Do not use anything else. IF the vehicle has over 100k miles and no idea on the timing belt, good idea to get that replaced along with the waterpump/tensioner/idler.
Check your throttle cable to make sure it is not binding up or hitting something. I know the TPS needs to be rewired on the SRT-4 over time. Not sure if the PT GT has the same issue.

As for your brakes, you need to take your wheels off and inspect them. Inspect your brake fluid level. If your brake fluid has never been changed and is very dark, get your brakes bled.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
if the car is revving on its own, this is usually only caused by one of two things. Either air is getting in when it shouldn't be (faulty gasket on the intake side of things), or the throttle position sensor (TPS), or its associated wiring is giving the cars PCM faulting readings. I don't know about the PT GTs, but the neon srt-4s had a known issue with the wiring harness pulling too much on the TPS sensor and damaging the wiring. What you can do it have the vehicle idling and wiggle the wiring around the throttlebody and see if the idle changes.

Reactions: fixit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh thank you so much for your reply and info! That's a good idea. I hope it is just wiring and not a gasket or something a lot more serious 😬

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles are on your PT GT?

Those are cylinder misfire codes. I had a 05 PT GT 5 speed and had the p0304. fuel Injector number 4 was gummed up. Put new orings on all of them and it fixed my P0304 code.
Good idea to change the spark plugs if you have no idea the last time they were changed. NGK 4306 are great on these motors. A good gap for a stock vehicle is .040-.045. I believe OEM is .050 though. I also replaced the intake manifold gaskets too on mine. I had the composite intake manifold so there was an upper and lower set. (The intake gasket did not fix my p0304 BTW)

Overheating is not good. Cheapest thing is the thermostat. On one of my old SRT-4's it seemed to run a bit hot around 195-200. Put a new thermostat and radiator cap on for good measure and the issue was solved. If you have no idea when the coolant was replaced good idea to do that. Mopar 5yr/100k coolant or Zerex G05 are the only 2 coolants that should be used and can be mixed. Do not use anything else. IF the vehicle has over 100k miles and no idea on the timing belt, good idea to get that replaced along with the waterpump/tensioner/idler.
Check your throttle cable to make sure it is not binding up or hitting something. I know the TPS needs to be rewired on the SRT-4 over time. Not sure if the PT GT has the same issue.

As for your brakes, you need to take your wheels off and inspect them. Inspect your brake fluid level. If your brake fluid has never been changed and is very dark, get your brakes bled.

Thank you so much for your reply and all the info and advice! I have over 150,000 miles on my car. Sounds like many good ideas of things I really need to get checked out! Hoping one of those will do the trick! And finding someone who won't charge an arm and a leg to check all those things. Thankfully the engine light isn't on... yet lol

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
No problem. Hope you get it fixed and get your PT GT driving good again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts