Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

It’s been awhile since I bought my 04 in October 03. She’s got 91,200 miles. Everything is stock/OEM/original except filters and shift bushings. Impetus for the restore: peeling clear coat, cheaper than buying a new car, and I LOVE my SRT-4.

I got a number of dealer parts the other day (retiree discount, lots of things discontinued). Searching junkyards for many of the trim pieces.

I have relied heavily on Modern Performance for information and will probably use them for some parts too. These forums have been invaluable, despite some pics no longer existing. The internet videos available are somewhat lame. I might make my own, we’ll see.

Work checklist:
Rear struts, mounts, camber kit, alignment
Front struts, lower control arms, alignment
Timing belt, water pump, tensioners, idler pulley, belts, plugs, wires
Clutch, clutch fork, pivot ball, clip, rubber
Paint and clearcoat
Window trims (doors, windshield)
Console box cover replace
Moonroof rubber and flush adjustment investigate
Check speakers
Clean upholstery

Other items may be added along the way.
Project done in pieces, estimate 2 months + paint.

I live in Charlotte NC. If anyone has more resources in the area, feel free to share. Anyone know where you can get original rebuilt calipers? 3 of my originals are long gone.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Dealer has reman calipers in stock. They are not painted if that is an issue. I've also seen reman and finished in other colors @ rockauto,com.

Link to one example here:
"https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-caliper-disc-brake~r5086360aa.html?Make=Dodge&Model=Neon&Year=2005&Submodel=&Filter=(E=EDV;T=DDR;M=SRT-4)&Location=service-brakes-brakes-front,00i89507,1"

Cheaper would be used off e-bay and rebuild yourself if your budget doesn't permit new car smell.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I’m actually trying to go for “all correct” but driven. You know, if we had an SRT Concours, I’d be in the period correct category but not the trailer queen. I’ll be hunting the internet for parts for sure. Immediate needs are squeaks and difficulties. Also, if it has any markings or logos that can be seen, then they’ll need to be factory correct.

Yes I’m weird. I still have the original witness marks on the plastic covering the drain holes.

Any resources for my efforts are hugely appreciated. I won’t say cost is no object, but if I can save a few pennies I will. What I’ve noticed is that dealer trim parts change appearance over time, but mechanicals are usually only engineered the same or better.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Awesome man! Im in the same boat w maintenance lists.

If you want "your" original calipers then rockauto or local parts store should have the rebuild parts. Be alot easier to just buy oem remans and paint them red. Just use a brush type of paint and not spray. If you have 3 gone then check the fluid, lines and inspect caliper parts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found a junk yard near me. He claims to have original painted ones. I’ll stop by tomorrow to check. Any links for rebuild kits, or rebuild companies?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
G2 makes a decent caliper paint system. I've seen up close paint jobs on calipers that look great. Now with my lack of talent and patience it won't look great, but I'm sure you can do a good job if you are patient, bud. I bought a kit, but I haven't done it yet. Been doing other stuff to it. Now its too cold. 50* here or so.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
G2 makes a decent caliper paint system. I've seen up close paint jobs on calipers that look great. Now with my lack of talent and patience it won't look great, but I'm sure you can do a good job if you are patient, bud. I bought a kit, but I haven't done it yet. Been doing other stuff to it. Now its too cold. 50* here or so.
I repainted my calipers when I completely rebuilt them a couple of years ago. Spray is fine, but spray or brush, the important thing is to cure the paint before reassembling. That greatly increases the durability. I think I used VHT's red caliper spray paint, and baked them in the oven for an hour afterwards. The color was nearly perfect, and they still look good now, 2-1/2 years later. Pic before curing...

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Wow that looks good! I don't know if I'd have the patience to completely remove the caliper +rebleed the system. I know its all about the prep but wow.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
all about the prep
Definitely. The company I work for has a big industrial powder coating line, so after I stripped them down, I removed the original finish completely in our burn-off oven. It's something like 900 deg F.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ll probably find a set of junk yard calipers and rebuild them to save for a later changeout. Csx321, your resources may be sought.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I’ll probably find a set of junk yard calipers and rebuild them to save for a later changeout. Csx321, your resources may be sought.
Feel free to PM me. I'm a computer programmer myself, but our company makes park and sports equipment. We powder coat a lot of other things in addition to our own stuff (and do related things like burn-off and blasting). We have one of the biggest curing ovens in the country, about 50ft long. We sometimes powder coat entire tanker trailers! Also we could bake a LOT of cookies at once. :)

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Feel free to PM me. I'm a computer programmer myself, but our company makes park and sports equipment. We powder coat a lot of other things in addition to our own stuff (and do related things like burn-off and blasting). We have one of the biggest curing ovens in the country, about 50ft long. We sometimes powder coat entire tanker trailers! Also we could bake a LOT of cookies at once. :)
as someone who used to be co-owner of a very small (from home) powder coating business... that sounds amazing!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Currently storming in southern California. Chocolate chip cookies sound amazing right now.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Bumping your thread out of boredom. Made any progress yet?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tqeMLZXG82y0E0R2qIqswDM0XKznn3SY/view?usp=drivesdk

First video, poor lighting. Not going to be a how-to, just info and progress.

Tasks:
Loosen lugs
Jack
Place jack stands
Remove wheels
Remove abs sensor bracket
Remove caliper sliding pins and hang caliper on tension strut
Disconnect stabilizer link
Loosen lower attaching nuts
Loosen and remove upper strut mount nuts
Disconnect lower attaching bolts and nuts
Remove assembly
Compress spring
Remove strut nut with Miller 6864 (purchased from Freedom Racing)
Transfer and install all necessary new/previous parts
Install (reverse of removal...video will have torque specs taken from Service Manual)
Do the right side

1 - 20 of 64 Posts