LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
How-To: Add Aux Input to Factory 6 Disc

*****THIS ONLY WORK ON THE FACTORY 6 DISC, it does not work without it.*****
This mod adds an auxiliary input to your factory head unit/6 disc changer combo for only a few dollars. With this little modification you will be able to use things like MP3 Players, Cell Phones, DVD Players and more with your stock factory head unit. We splice into the data cable that runs in between the head unit & the 6 disc changer. You will not lose functionality by adding this AUX input. When nothing is plugged into the auxiliary input - your 6 disc changer will function like normal. When something is plugged into the auxiliary input - the 6 disc changer will effectively be muted, and whatever is connected to the jack will be the primary input source. Video demonstration at the bottom of post 2!

Items Required
Head down to your local Radio Shack and grab a 1/8" Stereo Phone Jack - P/N 274-0246 - should be under 3 dollars. You can order it online or get it from else ware if need be. Be sure to get this specific jack, or one that is 5 pinned/breaks the signal when an auxiliary cable is plugged in. Using a regular 3 pin L/R/G stereo phone jack will not break the signal from the 6 disc.

A soldering iron, solder, heat shrink tubing or electrical tape is require to correctly do this. Please don't cut/strip/splice without soldering! Your wiring harness will thank you. You will also need some wire. It doesn't have to be anything hardcore, I used some 22/20ga wire that was for an internal USB cable from a computer. I chose that because it was ribboned together...keeps things clean. You will need enough wire to go to wherever you chose to mount your stereo jack. I gave myself about 18in. You will also separately connect your ground wire to the back of the head unit, or the body of the car.

The Mod

Start by removing the 2 vents. You can get them off easily by making them face down and tugging on the inside first.

Remove the 2 phillips screws circled in red & pull off the 4 knobs for AC/Fan Speed, Vent Selection, Temp & Air Recirculation.

Remove the bezel. Start by pulling off the top, then the bottom. Don't force it off, work with it.

Pop off the 6 disc changer bezel.

2 philips screws hold in the 6 disc changer (wow that is dirty...don't go down there often enough ).

Disconnect cable from back of 6 disc.

4 philips screws hold the head unit in - remove these.

Disconnect the smaller cable from the back of the head unit & pull it out.

Peal back some of insulation crap they used...

In combination with the next instruction, the wiring diagram on the top of the 6 disc changer gives some insight to the wires we need to mess with.

Give your self at least an inch from the plug and clip the 2 wires in the picture - green w/ white stripe & grey w/ white stripe. These two wires are the left and right channel from the 6 disc to the head unit. Strip about 1/4" off each wire.

Here is where things get interesting. Strip, splice, and solder the 4 wires you chose to run to the stereo jack to the 4 exposed wires. Tape/heat shrink them accordingly.

Take your 4 wires and connect them to the stereo jack accordingly. TAKE NOTE: 'to 6 disc changer' are the 2 wires that came out of the plug that connects to the 6 disc changer. 'to head unit' are the 2 longer wires that go up to the grey plug. GET THIS RIGHT!!!

The eye holes on the jack are pretty small...22ga barely fits.

Attach a wire to the pin marked ground. You will ground this wire to the body of the car or the back of the head unit. If you chose the body of the car - make sure the surface is clean, interference is a bitch. If you chose the back of the head unit - you can easily get a screw/bolt out of it and just screw it to it.

DO NOT GROUND THE STEREO JACK TO THE HARNESS! You will hear static/interfence from the moving parts in the 6 disc in the speakers and it will be very annoying. I gave it a try and it was unbearable. SO:

Cleanup your work at the harness.

DONE! With that part at least. Run out to your car and hook the harness up. Pop a disc in the 6 disc changer, turn your head unit on and make sure your 6 disc is playing music, right and left channel. Once you've done this, plug in your aux cable to whatever source and things should go quiet until you play something on the device. If you hear left/right correctly, congrats! It worked. If not...go back and check your wiring. It's a bit confusing the wiring that goes from the harness to the jack...but just take your time and you should have no problems.

Scroll down to the next post to see how/where I mounted my jack at.

Stone White 05 - Built Bottom End - Built Head - Arias - Eagle - BC - Crane - MPX - DCR - Borg Warner s257sx-e .82 AR T3 - e85 - tons of supporting mods

Last edited by ziggo0; 04-06-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Here is where I chose to install my jack. It's concealed and out of the way. I originally wanted it connect on the front panel somewhere but decided against it as I plan to mount a phone as a touch screen mp3 player so where the jack goes I don't care, somewhere out of the way. (also a hole for my phone car charger)

Fits tight, like a tiger.

All soldered up & plugged in.

Some hot glue to make sure it stays still.

After the car charger I added, it's a bit messy but whatever - it works!

Where I grounded the jack (later replaced with a crimped O fitting).

How it looks installed.

My eventual plan...

Here is a quick video demonstrating how it works...

Stone White 05 - Built Bottom End - Built Head - Arias - Eagle - BC - Crane - MPX - DCR - Borg Warner s257sx-e .82 AR T3 - e85 - tons of supporting mods

Last edited by ziggo0; 04-06-2017 at 07:10 PM.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice!

Highland Kustoms /Instagram- Highland_srt
SRT-4

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
intersting..but cant i buy a cable to connect to the power outlet to play music off my ipod?
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Premium Member (Lifetime)
SRTotM Moderator

Lifetime Premium Member
Yeah and use the radio station and it sounds like crap all the time.. This is under $5 if you choose to spend more then spend more.. I like this idea and I'll be doing a spin off of it sooner or later
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Forum Moderator
Maeda Path Champion

Lifetime Premium Member
looks good, great job.

Stage 3+

New England SRT Owners Club Association
www.nesrtoc.com
100,000 mile club

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo666 View Post
I would still rather have AIDS then a LT1. I wouldn't care if your car went low 6's on pump in the 1/4 bone stock with a Tornado.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Great job!!!!!! Ill be doing this for sure
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 AM

Great write up. Sticky this for sure.

iPhone

MODS: garret 60-1 trim kit Tial wastegate ATP o2 and manifold ,boost box,return line, AEM CAI, wally 255, innovative motor sports wideband, dusters injectors, Godspeed BFMIC, tuned by duster360 for gas and e-85
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
note the part number for the plug he used. they have different ones and if you DO NOT get this specific one it WILL NOT break the signal coming from the 6-disc. it also won't have enough pins (5 instead of 3).

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER
Soon to be a Felon in NJ.
"This is NJ. The pursuit of happiness is prohibited."

the navy will christen their next warship the USS Gabrielle Giffords
"I'm betting that when the USS GG is commissioned, it will be notably slower than the rest of the fleet, list slightly to one side, and tend to turn gently to port while attempting to sail on a direct heading."
I'm SO going to hell for how hard I laughed at that.
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sota View Post
note the part number for the plug he used. they have different ones and if you DO NOT get this specific one it WILL NOT break the signal coming from the 6-disc. it also won't have enough pins (5 instead of 3).
Very good point, gonna update the post to stress that. Thanks bro.

post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Here is a more proper video demonstration...wasn't enough light last night lol.

post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM

jus got the part gonna do this up in a bit
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM

ive noticed i dont have that bottom cd changer part..will it still work?
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

^^afraid not, only the cars with the factory 6 disc will work. You could pickup a 6 disc & cable on the forums used perhaps - but at that point you could probably find a new head unit or go with Mopar's version of the aux/ipod port.

I haven't had any success emulating what that 6 disc tells the head unit it is to trick it into thinking I have a 6 disc plugged in, don't really have the equipment to do it.

Here are a few more pictures..

Where I grounded the jack (later replaced with a crimped O fitting).

How it looks installed.

post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM

ohhh i see yah i understand how your tricking the six disk thing...yah dont think its gonna work eiter :/

thanks for the reply before i ended up taking it apart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode