426 hemi - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
426 hemi

did anyone see the show on Speed the other day about old motors. I couldn't believe the power those old, 100% stock, motors were pushing.
427 was about 660 hp, the 422 was about 620 and the king 426 hemi dyno'd in at 880hp, they said it was one of the most under-rated motors of all time, and it was rated good.
It was a cool show they took apart all the motors and talked about the internals, those hemispherical combustion chambers looked different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 08:11 AM

I heard about this, but could not believe it. I assume they were rating them at the crank right?

Still.... Holy crap.... I can't believe it....

If the 426 hemi was 880 why is the new 6.1 hemi only around 425? New Technology, blah blah...

Tough to believe, are you sure they didn't dyno on a dynojet.

2014 Nissan GT-R
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

I missed alot of the show but I know it was at the crank, the motor wasn't in a car. I don't know much about dyno's but I think the jet uses water and I didn't see any water.(jet or not the hemi was still pushing 220hp more than the next highest, 427)
they were saying the motors was complete original parts to(no aftermarket).
It really made me want a Hemi.
I'd bet the new 6.1 are way under-rated also. probly 425hp at the wheels and with the motor hot as hell.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 AM

Most wern't stock motors. Pretty useless tests imho i've already seen hemi's make big power they just did it and put it on tv.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...gonew=1#UNREAD
" In defense of the Hemi, we had a week (at our expense) to put together 3 motors, none of which are easy to get parts for. The hemi is an iron headed motor with steel rods, and a flat tappet cam. FAST motors make 850 and SS motors make over 900 now. Yes that motor has more work in it than it should, but we used what we had at the shop for motors in progress.

Remember television is for entertainment, much like the internet, so don't read too much into it. Also, it's not like it was a secret kept from the production."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 01:52 PM

That's what I thought... Not a motor as it was made from Factory...

Still impressive none the less.

2014 Nissan GT-R
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:46 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
One thing about HP ratings. I believe in the old days, including the Muscle Car era, is that HP ratings were SAE gross, where as modern day HP ratings are SAE net. It's like comparing crank HP to wheel HP. (Gross vs Net)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngel
Most wern't stock motors. Pretty useless tests imho i've already seen hemi's make big power they just did it and put it on tv.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...gonew=1#UNREAD
" In defense of the Hemi, we had a week (at our expense) to put together 3 motors, none of which are easy to get parts for. The hemi is an iron headed motor with steel rods, and a flat tappet cam. FAST motors make 850 and SS motors make over 900 now. Yes that motor has more work in it than it should, but we used what we had at the shop for motors in progress.

Remember television is for entertainment, much like the internet, so don't read too much into it. Also, it's not like it was a secret kept from the production."
Its a different show man. Theses guys said the motors had original parts and that "they belong in a museum not in a car" .They claimed absolutly no aftermarket.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:41 AM

"For anyone interested, The American Muscle Car TV show was taping at Engine Systems in Tucker Ga. A few weeks ago for the show that airs tonight on Speed vision @ 9:30PM.

We built 3 motors for the show titled “the fastest muscle car engines of all time”. We did an L88 Chevy, a 427 tunnel port FE Ford, and a 426 HEMI for them to dyno test. The motors were to have things done to them that would have been done by places like Yenko, Mr Norms, and so on. I have no idea what kind of spin will be put on this show, but I can assure all you guys that MOPAR will be properly represented. Though the Hemi is a pump gas motor, it may have a couple more twists of the wrench than the others, but don’t tell any of the Chevy or Ford brethren. Everything had to be put together from the parts we had available. The carbs on the Hemi were a little small, and gave us a small hiccup transitioning between circuits, but the end result should please all you guys."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode