Dodge SRT Forum banner

too bad the new Cayenne will be faster

5K views 58 replies 22 participants last post by  XCLR8TN 
#1 ·
Kind of disappointing... on Wednesday I'm flying to Miami to pick up my SRT and today I find out the new Cayenne will have 520 horsepower and bump the SRT down to #2 or #3 on the list of the fastest production SUV's. Oh well...

So Porsche is claiming 4.8 seconds, so does Jeep, but honestly I don't think a stock SRT will could do a 4.8 considering the horsepower, weight, and gearing. At best I think it could do 5 seconds flat, more like 5.1 or 5.2 as testing has shown so far. Now the Cayenne with 520 horsepower, and 530 torque at 2000rpm (!) you can see why 4.8 seconds seems accurate.

automobile.com article

#2 · (Edited)
uhh Nevertheless, this particular breed of Cayenne will be a rarity, considering its price starts at $111,600, more than three times of what the Grand Cherokee SRT-8 costs at $39,995. Of course, for those who want to own the worlds quickest and fastest SUV, not to mention one of the most prestigious, the Turbo S is the only answer.
ok goodbye troll this is a section for discussing the srt8 jeep not a truck that costs 3 times as much and will be slighty faster OR just as fast seeing as both their CLAIMED speeds are the same. i dont think this will weigh much to anyone on here considering if ur buying a cayenne turbo s and can actually afford it i really doubt ur considering the srt-8 9/10 times

#3 ·
idealrides said:
Kind of disappointing... on Wednesday I'm flying to Miami to pick up my SRT and today I find out the new Cayenne will have 520 horsepower and bump the SRT down to #2 or #3 on the list of the fastest production SUV's. Oh well...

So Porsche is claiming 4.8 seconds, so does Jeep, but honestly I don't think a stock SRT will could do a 4.8 considering the horsepower, weight, and gearing. At best I think it could do 5 seconds flat, more like 5.1 or 5.2 as testing has shown so far. Now the Cayenne with 520 horsepower, and 530 torque at 2000rpm (!) you can see why 4.8 seconds seems accurate.

automobile.com article
Well testing has shown so far has shown the SRT8 to be hitting 4.8 - right out of assembly line. It will most likely follow the rest of the SRT's in that after some good breaking in, the number will drop a bit. The porsche with all its turbo won't be able to match. The only thing Porsche will have on the SRT8 is top speed - and that won't be a big deal.

On a road course - all things being equal (same driver ability etc.) the jeep will will (due to it's better handling etc.).

#5 ·
This is funny. Back in the day, SRT used to just piss off Honda boys, we're going global now:) SRT has a product to piss off everyone:)

#8 ·
4.8 seconds with 520hp and over $110,000? I'm not impressed. It should run 0 - 60 in under 4 seconds

Besides, the Cayanne is not a very tough looking car. Like a castrated 911 on steriods. A vehicle more for successfull, ***** little Jewish men in their 40's or 50's.

For that money I'd go with the RRS, BMW, or Mercedes

#9 ·
This is like comparing the SRT4 to the Evo....Just a tad faster costing more. Equal out the price tag with mods and it would destroy it.

Now going from 40 grand to almost 120 grand is just stupid and you should really look at urself in the mirror and slap urself 3 times and realize how stupid this thread really is.

#10 ·
glhs837 said:
This is funny. Back in the day, SRT used to just piss off Honda boys, we're going global now:) SRT has a product to piss off everyone:)
Trust me, SRT has already gone global. There are several of us tearing up the Europeans on a daily basis!

#11 ·
idealrides said:

automobile.com article
Huh? The Cayenne is not bumping the SRT "down" at all, at best it is going to tie the Jeep SRT8. Pretty embarassing for Porsche considering that with almost 100 more HP all they can do is match the 4.8 0-60 time of the Jeep. Top speed of the Cayenne S is 168 mph, right there with the Jeep. The Porsche is also heavier than the Jeep and as mentioned costs nearly 3x the price. The over-priced Cayenne has been plagued with major problems and complaints, a lot of unhappy owners out there.

#12 ·
The Cayenne Turbo S weighs over 500 lbs. more than the GC SRT-8. Weight of course is the great Horsepower eater. The 4.8 0-60 times Porsche quotes for the Cayenne Turbo S are a match for the Jeep SRT-8 time recorded by R&T magazine. MPH magazine got a 4.7 0-60 time for the Jeep SRT-8. So, while the $111,000+ Porsche is indeed impressive the Jeep SRT-8 is it's match for 1/3 the price.
Oh, and for over $111K couldn't we make the CD Changer standard? Sheesh...

#13 ·
adrenalineaiax said:
..Of course, for those who want to own the worlds quickest and fastest SUV, not to mention one of the most prestigious, the Turbo S is the only answer...
The "world's quickest and fastest SUV"? Say's who? "Most prestigious?", how so? About all the Cayenne (aka "Tourag") has going for it may be "most expensive SUV" and "most problematic SUV". Cayenne sales are way down (more than 50% last October and more than 25% for 2005) and reliability has barely improved the past couple of years.

#14 ·
I don't care what you guys say, but if you had a ton of cash, the decision would be easy. You would get the Porsche. Its still a Porsche and a status symbol!

People who buy that Cayenne are probably millionaires, and if you can afford it, are you gonna say, "well maybe I will just get the Jeep because its a better deal!"...HELL NO, you are gonna say "I am getting this Porsche so I can show off how much $ I have, and its fast as hell!"

#15 ·
webmaster@revitup said:
I don't care what you guys say, but if you had a ton of cash, the decision would be easy. You would get the Porsche. Its still a Porsche and a status symbol!

People who buy that Cayenne are probably millionaires, and if you can afford it, are you gonna say, "well maybe I will just get the Jeep because its a better deal!"...HELL NO, you are gonna say "I am getting this Porsche so I can show off how much $ I have, and its fast as hell!"
No matter how much cash I had I would NOT buy the POS Porsche.

"and it's fast as hell".... ??? But it's NOT faster than the Jeep so there go the "fastest SUV" bragging rights.

#16 ·
webmaster@revitup said:

and it will be funny as hell when that snoody ass rich guy gets smoked by joe blow in an srt8 :thumbsup:

#17 ·
webmaster@revitup said:

I agree. If I had more money, I would probably buy a more expensive SUV. But not the Porche. Awesome sports cars (911 in particular) but the stylin of the Cayenne is just too sissy - luxurious interior and ultimate performance but just not tough looking outside at all.

Now that I think about it, with the Mercedes/RRS/BMW, I'd still have enough money left get Jeep - which has Ultimate performance.

#18 ·
But at the end of the day, the rich guy is still driving a better car. No, maybe its not faster, but thats not everything in a car!

Its like in F&F, yes, the Supra smokes the Ferrari, but the Ferrari is still a better car, and you cannot argue otherwise. Yes the supra is faster, but the Ferrari is about Style, Status, and Speed!

#19 ·
webmaster@revitup said:
But at the end of the day, the rich guy is still driving a better car. No, maybe its not faster, but thats not everything in a car!

Its like in F&F, yes, the Supra smokes the Ferrari, but the Ferrari is still a better car, and you cannot argue otherwise. Yes the supra is faster, but the Ferrari is about Style, Status, and Speed!
oh i deff agree its still the better car...but i know it would get under his skin to have a jeep run with him.....i know it would piss me off.

#22 ·
webmaster@revitup said:

honestly i wouldnt buy any suvs i would get a lambo probably ferraris too but i would still have fast cheaper lil bastards like the supra, srt4, evo, sti etc. i honestly think i would still itd be cool to have a 800 hp evo if i were rich besides i would have the moeny to easily afford it so why not do it and i wouldnt go blowing money on the 'better' 'fast' suv because it was more and i could afford id get the srt8 cause to most people it is still impressive cause not everyone can afford a 40g car and id but a blower on it and some other shit have a mean fucking suv that no other suv could touch

#23 ·
ResumeSpeed said:
Huh? The Cayenne is not bumping the SRT "down" at all, at best it is going to tie the Jeep SRT8. Pretty embarassing for Porsche considering that with almost 100 more HP all they can do is match the 4.8 0-60 time of the Jeep. Top speed of the Cayenne S is 168 mph, right there with the Jeep. The Porsche is also heavier than the Jeep and as mentioned costs nearly 3x the price. The over-priced Cayenne has been plagued with major problems and complaints, a lot of unhappy owners out there.
Since when does the Jeep have a 168mph Top Speed? Thats news to me.

Porsche also nailed the handling and off road capability of the Cayenne. Notice how the Jeep SRT8 is NOT "Trail-Rated"

I love the Jeep, but some people have to admit when its been beaten. The Cayenne Turbo S just did.

#24 ·
nolimits said:
Looks like I was off by a couple mph. "Although the SRT-8's top speed is electronically limited to 155mph, parent firm Chrysler says a desresticted version of the V8-engined machine can eclipse the Porsche's 165mph maximum by 5mph".

nolimits said:
...I love the Jeep, but some people have to admit when its been beaten. The Cayenne Turbo S just did.
Please explain to me how the Cayenne Turbo S "just beat" the SRT8????

nolimits said:
...Porsche also nailed the handling and off road capability of the Cayenne. Notice how the Jeep SRT8 is NOT "Trail-Rated"...
Off-road, definitely. "Handling", if you are talking on-road, how so?

#25 ·
nolimits said:

Porsche also nailed the handling and off road capability of the Cayenne. Notice how the Jeep SRT8 is NOT "Trail-Rated"

I love the Jeep, but some people have to admit when its been beaten. The Cayenne Turbo S just did.
There are a lot of charger srt8 and 300c srt8 owners that are surpassing the estimated top speeds of those said cars by 5 - 10 miles per hour. Of course after some good breaking in. The same will be said about the jeep.

I am not worried about the jeep not being trail-rated. You can either make a super suv good for off-roading and for on-road speed. Or you can make an suv great for either off-road or on-road speed. But not both. The Cayenne can't compete with trail-rated jeeps for off-roading, and it can't compete with the srt8 with it on-road handling, quickness, and agility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.