Serious car issue - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Serious car issue

I have a 2004 srt4 w/100k miles with many mods that came with the car. The car does not accelerate. It feels sluggish when I floor it. There are no cels ever. I boost leak tested the turbo and it seemed to be holding boost good. Car seems like it’s getting enough fuel. Things I have done to car so far is tps sensor and wiring harness, New spark plugs, new coil pack, new act street clutch, new turbo kit borg Warner s256 agp kit, all new vacuume lines catch cans and check valves. I am very confused with car as I am stumped at what to do now and need some help. I keep covering bases and car still feels sluggish almost no power in third gear car doesn’t go anywhere. It feels a lot like a boost leak but I do not think it leaking boost anywhere. I feel like I will do everything and the problem will always persist never go away. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:39 AM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
when this is happening, what does your boost gauge show? what does your wideband show?

435 HP & 438 TQ -E85
Tuned by Turbo666 on his mustang dyno

Best ET to date: 12.1 @ 124 on DR's
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:42 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Are you throwing any codes? I had this issue on a different car, ended up being the throttle body.

-

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
blocked cat.?
Poss.bad Cam position sensor/magnet?
clogged fuel filter?

_____5TOEZ______ 1967 Cadillac Calais 429 2dr.,.... 1967 Chevelle 4sp. Conv.... ,1978 Dodge 318 "Factory Custom"van.,..... 2004 Dodge Srt-4,Stage1.5(E-Blue) & a couple motorcycles.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Boost gauge shows boost slowly building to only a max of 10 psi never enough to even open the waste gate. Turbo never really spools like it supposed to slow spool. Wide band says 12s all the time. Not throwing any codes. So when you say your throttle body did it go bad or something. Do throttle body’s go bad? I thought it might be the cat so I brought it to a muffler shop and the guy came out to the car and immediately said there’s no blocked cat because the car is way to loud, he assured me that a blocked cat would be dead quiet. Is a new cam sensor what I need maybe I will get that too I suppose. Car shows fuel is 12.5 across the board so I don’t think a fuel filter is clogged. Fuel pump assembly has been replaced recently also.

Last edited by Pwnr; 04-30-2019 at 01:16 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:57 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnr View Post
Boost gauge shows boost slowly building to only a max of 10 psi never enough to even open the waste gate. Turbo never really spools like it supposed to slow spool. Wide band says 12s all the time. Not throwing any codes. So when you say your throttle body did it go bad or something. Do throttle body’s go bad? I thought it might be the cat so I brought it to a muffler shop and the guy came out to the car and immediately said there’s no blocked cat because the car is way to loud, he assured me that a blocked cat would be dead quiet. Is a new cam sensor what I need maybe I will get that too I suppose. Car shows fuel is 12.5 across the board so I don’t think a fuel filter is clogged. Fuel pump assembly has been replaced recently also.
Yeah it was for a Mini Cooper but got 2 codes saying it was stuck open and stuck closed. Replaced it and its back to normal. You can try cleaning it as a cheaper solution, or just inspect it to see if its opening and closing properly.

-
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:09 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Don't just throw parts at the car and hope for the best. What does "it seemed to be holding boost good" mean? It is either leaking or it isn't. How do you have your vacuum lines hooked up?

DiabloSport tuned by Brian (Mindmelt101) at Drag-On Resources.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmodo View Post
Don't just throw parts at the car and hope for the best. What does "it seemed to be holding boost good" mean? It is either leaking or it isn't. How do you have your vacuum lines hooked up?
Well the last time I boost leak tested it I pumped in about 7 psi and it held the psi so I assume there are no boost leaks anywhere. My vac lines are run really simply. A check valve at the evap system and lines going to wastegate, bov, s3 fuel rail, tip sensor. All Stock vac lines have been removed and solenoids unused.

Last edited by Pwnr; 04-30-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:49 PM
SRTforums Member

Well there's your problem. My bet is on a boost leak. Checking to 7 PSI doesn't tell you anything. You should test at or above the level of boost you're trying to achieve.

How are your vacuum lines connected? You aren't giving much info, and without it you won't get any help.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Oh I see. I should boost leak test again then. See I am not a professional mechanic but I do know the basics and how to work on a car. i do not have an air compressor to test this now but I will get it done I can assure you. The vacuum lines are connected to the fitting on the throttle body and run to the emissions line, bov, the wastegate, fuel rail, tip sensor. There are check valves at the emissions line and on the pcv line.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 PM
SRTforums Member

All that is off of one boost source? I don't see any mention of a boost controller, how are you controlling boost? What port are you connected to on the wastegate, top or bottom? Personally, I kept the solenoids in play and used an N2MB Boost Box. If you go to N2MB Racing and click on "Instructions" under the Boost Box, and scroll towards the bottom you'll see some pretty good diagrams. Granted, these are assuming you're installing a boost box but it should give you some idea.

I also don't see a wideband mentioned. Is this car tuned? If so, how? What about injectors? Give a full list of what you have on the car.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I do not have a boost controller I’m controlling boost with waste gate only. I have the top connected to the waste gate. I don’t use the solenoids anymore I removed all the stock vacuum lines and use all new vacuum hose. I do have a wide band. The car is tuned with a custom tune on an diablosport Intune. Mods are borg Warner s256rs agp turbo kit, diablosport intune, id 1000cc injectors, Mopar stage3 Computer, ngk iridium plugs gapped at .032, Mopar spark plug wires and coil pack, mopar 3 bar sensors. Mopar cat back exhaust, act street disk clutch w/agp tob fork, Mopar stage 3 fuel rail, HKS bov agp hard pipe, ais big intercooler, aem short ram intake, 180* thermostat, ported throttle body, all 4 new solid engine mounts, bc coilovers, aem wideband, scan gauge, 30 psi boost gauge. I think that’s everything that should be all performance mods anyway. I don’t remember where the custom tune came from I just know it was a member on this forum.

Last edited by Pwnr; 04-30-2019 at 10:57 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:23 PM
SRTforums Member

I think your problem is the way you have your wastegate hooked up. I would get a boost controller, the N2MB Boost Box is one of the best. Here is a good read about boost control: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_controller

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

I boost leak tested the car after an adventure trying to get it done at different gas stations. From what I can tell there is a boost leak somewhere down in no mans land by the firewall. It wouldn’t let me put in more than 9 psi and over the loud air compressor i could barely hear anything. I only have a common parking garage to keep my car in so I cannot really work on my car there. That Why I have to rely on shops to do the work. It’s a pain to because you try to tell the guy what needs to be done and he doesn’t believe you and just does whatever the hell he wants and nothing gets fixed. The car has been to like 3 different shops now and no one can do anything right because I get the car back and it’s exactly the same as before. You think the wastegate is the problem do you believe the waste gate is leaking or something. How should the wastegate be done. I had the waste gate connected to the fitting on the turbo compressor housing But decided to just run a vacuum line to it. The boost box seems good can it be run with out factory vac lines.

Last edited by Pwnr; 05-01-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:58 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I had a blocked cat and it was still noisy as usual.

_____5TOEZ______ 1967 Cadillac Calais 429 2dr.,.... 1967 Chevelle 4sp. Conv.... ,1978 Dodge 318 "Factory Custom"van.,..... 2004 Dodge Srt-4,Stage1.5(E-Blue) & a couple motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode