post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:29 AM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
Mine is a little hard to put in 1st if I'm still rolling too. I have the extenders, new fork, new pivot ball, new TOB, DCR clutch pedal pivot, and all new hydraulics when the motor went in. Tranny is stock with 114k, so maybe it's getting tired. I don't know how hard it's first 100k miles were since I bought the car with a hole in the block then, lol. I just try to remember not to shift into 1st until fully stopped like I should anyway.
I thought 1st, rolling was common on all of them? The buyers guide write up talked about that and sure hell I cant put it in first unless im almost stopped...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:40 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
After a cold start, with the clutch in and before driving away, I always take the time to run the shiftier through all four gears a few times.
This seems to free up the shifting "stiction" which allows for smoother cold shifting without forcing the Mopar short shift lever.
I also change the fluid about every 30K miles or so using Mopar ATF+4 with no friction modifier in my 03 trans with Quaife LSD retrofit.
So far, so good but clutches seem to wear out quick although my 4th one, an SBC STage 3 from RealTune, seems to be holding and so is the AGP TOB.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:43 PM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
I don't recall having the going into 1st challenge with Andrew's '03, the '04 didn't seem to be an issue either until I started messing with the location of the shifter cables bracket on top of the transmission. Hopefully when I get done this time with some changes it will be like it was, going into every forward gear without any issues.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:42 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Garage
hmm....can't say my car gives me any issues getting into any gear ....all the way to 7200 rpm no issues flat shifting, downshifting or otherwise. 210k miles on original gear set and even original shifter cables; no grinds, no notchy shifting.

When I did encounter issues in the past....it was always related to the clutch or the clutch fork. Either the clutch was toast or the fork was. After moving to a billet fork I haven't changed the fork in over 7 years

go ahead...change yours too now; again
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have an 04, after purchasing I noticed a few times that the car wanted to jump forward when in neutral after i started it. Also very rough taking off sometimes unless you revd it up some and tried to slip it out but it always grab quick. Act 6 puck clutch in it. After racing a mustang I had a hard time getting it back into 3rd or 4th. It did after a few tries. Then I get home, let the clutch out in neutral and holy growl sound coming from somewhere. Push in clutch, goes away, let it back out starts growling like a bearing. Drove it down my driveway and back and now it's in neutral but stalls as if it's in gear and want to lunge forward. No one seems to be sure of what it is? Tranny? Input shaft bearing?
Pilot bearing? I think the input shaft bearing and it's allowing for the shaft play and that why it's not coming out of gear completely??? Would like to hear what everyone thinks. I'm in Vermont if someone knows someone....thanks
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:01 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
FWIW, I bought my '04 new with 2 miles on it, and it's always been hard to shift into 1st unless it's stationary. It's at 217K miles now! Just installed the 3rd clutch, which isn't bad for the miles.
HybridKid likes this.

'04 SRT4, '87 Shelby CSX, '89 Shelby CSX, couple of others
2006 One Lap of America LER Media Crew

2009 Midwest SRT Nationals Attendee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode