3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
New transmission

I need to buy a new transmission for my 05 neon srt4 and am having the hardest time finding one. Any recommendations on where to find one or get one rebuilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:29 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
post location
if tristate bogdan did mine

405hp, 450tq
https://www.srtforums.com/forums/f451...w-123k-612933/
PCM=S0, DSP rescaled, 3bar map/tip
injectors= Siemens 80# (ebay $200)
built motor, 8.8:1 weisco, eagle-h, strap & windage
S3R DCR manifold ($500) w/evo8 turbo (ebay $150) - 20G/47# ebay ($200)
Evo 8 WGA
24x12x4 w/cast ends - CXRacing (ebay $200)
DataLogger DataQA, $25
Wideband UEGO (ebay $150)
vette rims 275/40/17
needswing v5
SouthBend S3
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
The T850 transmission is the weak link at this point on our cars. They tend to be what fudges up most frequently, and because are an SRT-4 ONLY product, only 25k were made and they are very hard to come by. Currently you will pay about 750 dollars for a no warranty ebay purchase to get one, with no idea what you are getting, could be just a piece of junk as bad as your own. And that doesn't count the cost of shipping.

The aftermarket route has a couple of options, I won't say good or bad because I don't know and they each seem to have not so pleasant things to say about the other. Expect to pay about 2 grand for a rebuilt option from them however, and you may have to give them your transmission in trade along with the 2 large.
HybridKid likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTShadow View Post
The T850 transmission is the weak link at this point on our cars. They tend to be what fudges up most frequently, and because are an SRT-4 ONLY product, only 25k were made and they are very hard to come by. Currently you will pay about 750 dollars for a no warranty ebay purchase to get one, with no idea what you are getting, could be just a piece of junk as bad as your own. And that doesn't count the cost of shipping.

The aftermarket route has a couple of options, I won't say good or bad because I don't know and they each seem to have not so pleasant things to say about the other. Expect to pay about 2 grand for a rebuilt option from them however, and you may have to give them your transmission in trade along with the 2 large.
Seems more driver related....I've yet to rebuild my 200k mile transmission. All I've done is upgrade the input shaft after 500whp
s3*ps2 likes this.

go ahead...change yours too now; again
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lVlemphizStylez View Post
Seems more driver related....I've yet to rebuild my 200k mile transmission. All I've done is upgrade the input shaft after 500whp
Good for you???

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:08 AM
SRTforums Member

Garage
countering your point of calling transmissions capable of 10 second passes in near stock form...."the weak link". Wasn't about what's good for me

Transmission gets bad rap due to bad owners....don't want to keep spreading that misinformation when there's a plethora of evidence out there to the contrary
s3*ps2 likes this.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:37 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonzofun4 View Post
I need to buy a new transmission for my 05 neon srt4 and am having the hardest time finding one. Any recommendations on where to find one or get one rebuilt

Try asking Aaron at Realtune Performance over on Facebook.
If he can't help you, which would be a surprise, he may be able to refer you to someone who can.
Good luck.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
countering your point of calling transmissions capable of 10 second passes in near stock form...."the weak link". Wasn't about what's good for me

Transmission gets bad rap due to bad owners....don't want to keep spreading that misinformation when there's a plethora of evidence out there to the contrary
It is not "bad owners", there are hundreds of people on here with documented issues with their transmissions. If that were "bad owners" then there would be a lot of issues with other parts of the car that would add up the same way. They do not. Why is it that you have to make everything personal with so many people on here by being argumentative about every little thing you see that doesn't add up to what you've experienced in your own tiny bubble of existence?

"If it didn't happen to me, then it's not true". You might want to consider accepting the fact that, just because it's not something you yourself have seen, doesn't mean that it simply CANT be factual. Lots of people who took excellent care of their vehicle have had major issues with the transmissions. It is not "misinformation", stop making everything so damn personal.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:42 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've been lucky with my transmission so far. I have a worn clutch fork. I made my first adjustment to the clutch pedal and it shifts like brand new. I know a new fork is in my future. I shift it slow pausing in neutral before going into gear, especially third. I double clutch my downshifts. I hope it holds together. I would hate to buy an "as is" tranny with an unknown past for a grand.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:05 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit View Post
post location
if tristate bogdan did mine
thank you for the mention!

i currently have a 20k mile 05 trans for sale. PM for price. DM on IG if no reply within reason

*1st stock-PCM 5-speed in the 9s
*Quickest 5speed SRT-4 7/15-5/17
6yr record broken (street driven):
https://youtu.be/BSdIg4qVAbU
2/19: 9.29 @156MPH
All builds & tuning in house
-Flame Red Performance LLC central NJ
@FlameRedPerformanceLLC - IG
God above everything!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:47 PM
SRTforums Member

Garage
Quote:
It is not "bad owners", there are hundreds of people on here with documented issues with their transmissions. If that were "bad owners" then there would be a lot of issues with other parts of the car that would add up the same way. They do not. Why is it that you have to make everything personal with so many people on here by being argumentative about every little thing you see that doesn't add up to what you've experienced in your own tiny bubble of existence?

"If it didn't happen to me, then it's not true". You might want to consider accepting the fact that, just because it's not something you yourself have seen, doesn't mean that it simply CANT be factual. Lots of people who took excellent care of their vehicle have had major issues with the transmissions. It is not "misinformation", stop making everything so damn personal.
wow....didn't mean to trigger you. This is a discussion board;as such there are people on multiple sides of a discussion. I've seen something different than what you are claiming about the t850. Far more than just my experience with it too....multiple credible shops have put immense power through otherwise stock transmissions aside from an input shaft....for years (you should go attack them for that too; I imagine your experience trumps theirs as well). We don't agree...you'll live. I never made it personal; I just disagreed with you (I realize now you might be offended by this).

You however....have clearly made it personal by trying to attack me directly after I disagreed with you. I won't respond in kind; I'll be the bigger man.

Last edited by lVlemphizStylez; 04-01-2019 at 03:16 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:35 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
wow....didn't mean to trigger you. This is a discussion board;as such there are people on multiple sides of a discussion. I've seen something different than what you are claiming about the t850. Far more than just my experience with it too....multiple credible shops have put immense power through otherwise stock transmissions aside from an input shaft....for years (you should go attack them for that too; I imagine your experience trumps theirs as well). We don't agree...you'll live. I never made it personal; I just disagreed with you (I realize now you might be offended by this).

You however....have clearly made it personal by trying to attack me directly after I disagreed with you. I won't respond in kind; I'll be the bigger man.
When you want to say:

Quote:
Transmission gets a bad rap because of bad owners
That makes it personal because you are basically calling out every owner who has had issues with their transmission as "bad owners". I've owned around 20 manual transmission vehicles in my life, this is the only one I've ever had where there were significant transmission issues, and they started early, before the car was at 40k miles. I'll take Chrysler and SRT-4 team statements about this transmission, including Ed Peters, who all back up the fact that the T-850 is prone to significant issues. It was a surprise to me to find out that the issues I had were in no way related to my fluid, which is what I had thought was the culprit.

These issues are not meant to be mutually inclusive, just because one person has issues does not infer that all persons have issues, nor should it infer that the owners were "bad owners" either. Engine problems on the car come from a variety of areas. The transmission issues by and large are the same: grind, then pop out, then failure. I see it day in and day out when I move these threads from New Members to the correct area of the forum.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:32 PM
SRTforums Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

When you want to say:

Quote:
Transmission gets a bad rap because of bad owners
That makes it personal because you are basically calling out every owner who has had issues with their transmission as "bad owners". I've owned around 20 manual transmission vehicles in my life, this is the only one I've ever had where there were significant transmission issues, and they started early, before the car was at 40k miles. I'll take Chrysler and SRT-4 team statements about this transmission, including Ed Peters, who all back up the fact that the T-850 is prone to significant issues. It was a surprise to me to find out that the issues I had were in no way related to my fluid, which is what I had thought was the culprit.

These issues are not meant to be mutually inclusive, just because one person has issues does not infer that all persons have issues, nor should it infer that the owners were "bad owners" either. Engine problems on the car come from a variety of areas. The transmission issues by and large are the same: grind, then pop out, then failure. I see it day in and day out when I move these threads from New Members to the correct area of the forum.
My statement was general.....I spoke to bad owners; if the shoe doesn't fit then don't wear it.

You keep saying "one person" when the truth is multiple ppl and shops have put immense power through mostly stock transmissions.....for over a decade now.

I saw your episode of a failed transmission rebuild.....so I'm not sure why you think you cant possibly be wrong about the transmission

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
You are being mutually inclusive again, just because one may happen doesn't mean all may happen, the 3rd gear grind leading to bigger problems has happened to thousands of owners of this car. It is factual.

It is also factual that people have put a lot of power through these transmissions. One fact does not offset the other fact.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode