Lifetime Premium Member
Fuel

RACE GAS | Racing Fuel Concentrate

New Product = Ultra

FYI
HybridKid likes this.

1986 GLHS #329
2004 SRT4 Powered by DCR & Forward Motion
FM Stock Appearing Stage 5 Buildup (E1 Turbo, Factory cams/gears) Turn Key Ready
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 PM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Yes 100%

I did use Torco Accelerator (Unleaded) for a few years with no issue. Then (for some reason) it wouldn't prevent KR and it would separate out in the can rather quickly. Maybe the QA got away from them.

Went to Race gas and never looked back. Great product IMO.
HybridKid likes this.

1986 GLHS #329
FM Stock Appearing Stage 5 Buildup (E1 Turbo, Factory cams/gears) Turn Key Ready

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:13 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Does it provide more power without making changes in tunes?

They're using MMT's as the primary octane booster, which is nothing new in fuel. In fact most unleaded fuel already uses it today just in lower concentrations.

What peaked my interest was this phrase:
"The oxygenates that are used in RACE GAS are not derived from alcohol (like methanol or ethanol) and therefor do not damage fuel system or engine components."

So I'm curious how they're oxygenating the mixture. I didn't see any mention of MTBE. Alcohol is by far the most common since some areas banned MTBE's. Perhaps they're using ETBE's?

I may give it a try to see if HOM holds just to see if it works as advertised.

Last edited by dirtbag; 07-21-2018 at 09:33 PM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Would be nice for the track. Or track events to use. I have 93 out here. So 2 ounces of the "race gas" per gallon. To get 97 octane. 32 ounces in a can. So that would treat 16 gallons for around $40 shipped. (guessing on shipping)

I might just switch to e85.

05 PW1 SRT-4
AGP 50 trim and supporting mods
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post

They're using MMT's as the primary octane booster, which is nothing new in fuel. In fact most unleaded fuel already uses it today just in lower concentrations.

"The oxygenates that are used in RACE GAS are not derived from alcohol (like methanol or ethanol) and therefor do not damage fuel system or engine components."

So I'm curious how they're oxygenating the mixture. I didn't see any mention of MTBE. Alcohol is by far the most common since some areas banned MTBE's. Perhaps they're using ETBE's?

I may give it a try to see if HOM holds just to see if it works as advertised.

Iím sure this question can be answered many different ways. This is the best way I can answer your question. Feel free to shoot a hole in it.
Iíve been tinkering around with Turbo Dodges since 1993. Done many modifications some worked, some not so much. If you address the structural integrity of engine/trans components. The only limiting factor (at that point) is fuel. Address the fuel requirement for said application and youíre in good shape. Regardless what tune you have and what youíre asking the engine/car to do, you have to have good fuel.
With that said, what has Race Gas done for me? Itís given me 100% confidence or call it insurance whatever. When Iím at WOT/Full boost Iím not concerned about knock and I can shift my concerns in other directions.

I also own an 86 GLHS and when Race Gas is used in that car. I can honestly say the idle quality is better, starts quicker and seems more snappy (if you know what I mean) when driving around town.
So yea, try a can and see what you get. My advice, follow the mixing instructions and donít over octane the blend. Iíve had success doing just that and never been disappointed.

Iíll try to answer your question on ETBE's? But not tonightÖ

Good luck and happy motoring

1986 GLHS #329
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member

Race Gas does use MTBE as an oxygenate. EMTBE is an alcohol derived version of MTBE and has the same hydroscopic issues as ethanol, so they (Race Gas) donít use it.
While MMT is one chemical they use to increase octane, there are actually three chemicals that get used in concert to increase octane. As a result, far less MMT is used than other products to create the same effect.

Race Gas (105) contains the following: (Reading off the back of the can) 2-methoxy-2-methyl propane (1634-04-4), Heptane (64742-49-0), Methylcycolopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (12108-13-3), Toluene (108-88-3), Petroleum hydrocarbon (64742-94-5)

The above is what I found. Hope this answers some of your questions. Apologies' in advance for any spelling errors on the chemical names. Thanks!!!
HybridKid likes this.

1986 GLHS #329

Last edited by dave gregory; 07-24-2018 at 04:31 AM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:35 PM
"Made" Member

I am wondering which to try, Ultra or Regular. They say not to over octane if not needed. Hmmmmh!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridKid View Post
I am wondering which to try, Ultra or Regular. They say not to over octane if not needed. Hmmmmh!
I use the 105 (regular) because it best fits what I'm trying to do with the car. And it meets the power goals Id like to obtain.

1986 GLHS #329
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:50 AM
"Made" Member

Thanks! My tuner says maybe 650 on race gas, I say the car can do more but traction will be an issue. Do you think 105 octane will be enough?
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
My horse power (and torque) goals are essentially Mopar Stage 3 HOM levels. Race Gas (105) more than covers that spectrum.

650 horse out of the 2.4 would be an amazing accomplishment. Not knowing your combination and assuming the boost levels/RPM would be on the high side. And your tune is spot on, Race Gas Ultra would be a safe (and smart) bet. Not just from a performance prospective but also consider protecting your investment. My opinion.

650 HP wow that would be fun...

1986 GLHS #329
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:05 PM
"Made" Member

Ultra was what I was thinking too!! Thanks!!
Well this is the 5th rebuild over the last 13 years (try to forget stuff like that) and a lot of time, heartache and money like you said. Used to run a 50/50 mix of C16 and 93 back in the day on the first engine. Could have been the dyno but it made 670 with that mix and it was a lot of fun, until the failures started. I am not worried about the tune and RPM will be limited to 8K. Using a standalone ECU and a Lot of other mods to support that HP number. I think boost will not be more than 40 but we will see as this car doesn't seem to like the dyno and I am just trying to enjoy it being a 'weekender'.
Thanks for posting this BTW.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
No problem

Good luck with the build...

1986 GLHS #329
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:26 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Will this stuff turn your spark plugs orange like Torco? Or leave any sort of deposit or residue? Wonder if it helps with ethanol too. Since our BP out here has up to 10% ethanol in their 93.

05 PW1 SRT-4
AGP 50 trim and supporting mods
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3*ps2 View Post
Will this stuff turn your spark plugs orange like Torco? Or leave any sort of deposit or residue? Wonder if it helps with ethanol too. Since our BP out here has up to 10% ethanol in their 93.

From the Race Gas Web Site: [I]"I noticed that my spark plugs have an orange dust on them after running RACE-GAS in my tank. Are my plugs fouled or scorched?
[/I
No! The dust you are seeing is the bi-product of burning fuel with manganese. This dust does not affect plug or exhaust components in any way.
If you are old enough to remember burning leaded fuel, or look at the plugs from someone burning leaded racing fuel, you will see a greyish white dust on the plugs and exhaust pipes. This is the bi-product burning leaded fuels. This dust has no effect on plug performance and will not damage the engine either.
To insure that this dust doesnít affect engine performance we have been burning fuel blended with RACE-GAS in many cars for the last 3 years. We have added RACE-GAS to every fill up in a Toyota, BMW, VW, Porsche and a Ford for 3 years with no negative effect on the plugs, catalytic converter or O2 sensors).
HybridKid likes this.

1986 GLHS #329

Last edited by dave gregory; 07-29-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode