Dodge SRT Forum banner

Strange whine under boost?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  srt4lemon 
#1 ·
When under full boost, there is a whining noise that is hard to explain. It starts off and then becomes higher pitched as you move through the rpms. It only boosts to about 11 or 12 psi, and is somewhat inconsistent. I copied a link to the video I posted on YouTube. You may need to turn the volume all the way up, happens right at the beginning when the car enters boost.

https://youtu.be/k3qAFJa9RA8

#2 ·
It's difficult to tell with a recording. Do you have an aftermarket intake or is it stock? Same for downpipe and exhaust?

If you're hearing a possible whooshing noise and have reduced boost pressure than a boost leak is quite possible. Check the intake manifold gasket, vacuum lines, built-in surge/diverter (blow-off) valve, intake air temp (IAT) sensor, etc. Then either build a boost leak tester or alternatively start at the turbo's compressor outlet and start removing the hoses and charge pipes, working your way to the throttle body. Clean all hoses/couplers and mating surfaces and inspect the hoses and tubes for damage. If they look good reseat and make sure the clamps are seated correctly and not crooked (preferably using T-bolt style clamps) and put everything back on working your way from turbo back to throttle body.

Reactions: HybridKid
#5 ·
That's it right there. I have the Injen short-ram intake and it sounds exactly the same - the short-rams are famous for making these sounds in SRT4 (search for 'srt4 short ram' on youtube, you'll find a lot of clips that sound just like that)
My guess is that it's totally normal, nothing to worry about!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.