Are both cooling fans suppose to turn on when engine off & key on ON? - Dodge SRT Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By blackbird_R/T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Are both cooling fans suppose to turn on when engine off & key on ON?

So I noticed today after taking my car for a spin that when I put the key on ON I could hear a fan turn on. So I popped the hood and checked it out and noticed that only 1 fan is turning on. The driver's side one. Is this normal or are both fans suppose to turn on when the key is on ON and engine hot but off? By the way I can't inspect under the hood with the engine on sadly because the handbrake doesn't work. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:00 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I know when the air is on both fans will turn.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecanmin View Post
I know when the air is on both fans will turn.
I'll try that today but I'm pretty sure it's not working at all because the temperature got up to 225-230 today... I got scared and the only thing I could think of was to blast the AC on Full Heat and it actually brought the temp down to 205. But yeah my car is pretty dang strange... for some reason the Fans are split/ broken into two and the drivers side one is tilted at an angle not even pointing at the rad properly. Thanks for the reply

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:52 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Some higher end scan tools that have solenoid and other testing capabilities can manually activate the fans. If you don't have access to one you might be able to jumper the fan relays to verify if the motors are working but would nee to verify wiring and make sure not to damage the computer which normally activates the fan relays by grounding the relay if I recall correctly.

If your temps slowly climb to the 230-degree range at lower driving speeds it might be possible a fan is broken. If it tends to spike up to those high temps and suddenly drop you could also have a bad thermostat or excessive air in the cooling system that can't be purged.

Depending where you live and operating environment, there's a chance the A/C condenser (which sits in front of the radiator) and possibly radiator are clogged with grime and debris over the years reducing cooling efficiency. You should also have the small plastic air dam "blade" that sticks down under the radiator core support which helps force air up the front of the bumper cover intake and creates a negative pressure area behind the radiator to help draw air through it. There's also a chance the cooling mix could be way off and not effectively transferring heat or if it wasn't serviced correctly, the radiator core is clogged (if the heater core is working great that's not as likely as it generally clogs first).
HybridKid likes this.

Eric H. - '04 Neon SRT-4 (eBlue/S2) - '92 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T
'91 Dodge Spirit R/T - '19 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - '14 CTS-V Wagon
'08 Cobalt SS Turbo - '14 Cruze Turbo Diesel - '02 SVT Focus (S/C)
'04 SVT Focus (EAP) - '07 Ram 1500 - '81 & '85 Chevy Citation X-11
'90 Pontiac Turbo Gran Prix (ASC/McLaren) - '93 Olds Achieva SCX W41
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird_R/T View Post
Some higher end scan tools that have solenoid and other testing capabilities can manually activate the fans. If you don't have access to one you might be able to jumper the fan relays to verify if the motors are working but would nee to verify wiring and make sure not to damage the computer which normally activates the fan relays by grounding the relay if I recall correctly.

If your temps slowly climb to the 230-degree range at lower driving speeds it might be possible a fan is broken. If it tends to spike up to those high temps and suddenly drop you could also have a bad thermostat or excessive air in the cooling system that can't be purged.

Depending where you live and operating environment, there's a chance the A/C condenser (which sits in front of the radiator) and possibly radiator are clogged with grime and debris over the years reducing cooling efficiency. You should also have the small plastic air dam "blade" that sticks down under the radiator core support which helps force air up the front of the bumper cover intake and creates a negative pressure area behind the radiator to help draw air through it. There's also a chance the cooling mix could be way off and not effectively transferring heat or if it wasn't serviced correctly, the radiator core is clogged (if the heater core is working great that's not as likely as it generally clogs first).
Thanks for the info! Yes only 1 is turning on. Right now the cooling system has rusty water in it haha. Which is of course bad so I'm gonna flush it out good and put in the HOAT Mopar mix. Walmart sells some online for like $10.50. And I think I'm gonna have a mechanic I know change out the fans for me because I want it done right (so he can check the relays and wires to make sure they're not burnt, etc.) I don't want to risk doing it myself because I want a mechanic to properly relocate the ECU or whatever that computer is that's in the way of the drivers side fan. I'll send a pic to show what I'm talking about

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwn1C2VF...d=acqc3c3zr7gz

Last edited by Hamlet; 04-23-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Picture links
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:57 AM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
to clear up a couple of things... both fans will turn on when the A/C is turned on. (if the motor is running. idk about with it off.) if you need to check this, chock the wheels with a brick or something and check under the hood with it running. FYI, its very likely the parking brake just needs to be adjusted to work again.

The fans should be one unit, all attached, and they are very easy to remove/replace. the PCM is not in the way to take them out. I would also pop the coolant cap off (engine cool, not hot) and see if you're low on coolant. i'm betting you are.

435 HP & 438 TQ -E85
Tuned by Turbo666 on his mustang dyno

Best ET to date: 12.1 @ 124 on DR's
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump1114 View Post
to clear up a couple of things... both fans will turn on when the A/C is turned on. (if the motor is running. idk about with it off.) if you need to check this, chock the wheels with a brick or something and check under the hood with it running. FYI, its very likely the parking brake just needs to be adjusted to work again.

The fans should be one unit, all attached, and they are very easy to remove/replace. the PCM is not in the way to take them out. I would also pop the coolant cap off (engine cool, not hot) and see if you're low on coolant. i'm betting you are.
Thanks for the reply! So the Radiator Fans got here yesterday and we installed them and you are right... the PCM is not in the way at all... the previous owner just did a very bad job with the old fans he installed. But yes, now everything seems fine but sadly the radiator is leaking from the top so yeah I gotta add that to my list.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:59 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
yep...only 1 fan should run, unless ac is on or engine is getting hot.

_____5TOEZ______ 1967 Cadillac Calais 429 2dr.,.... 1967 Chevelle 4sp. Conv.... ,1978 Dodge 318 "Factory Custom"van.,..... 2004 Dodge Srt-4,Stage1.5(E-Blue) & a couple motorcycles.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:43 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Also worth noting that the stock PCM lets it get a lot hotter than one of the Stage computers do, or a custom calibration is likely to. A couple of years ago I ran a stock PCM for a while for the first time in years, and it worried me how hot it got, because I'd been running non-stock so long I forgot what stock was like. I hooked up my DiabloSport and changed the fan schedule to keep it cooler while I was running that PCM.

'04 SRT4, '87 Shelby CSX, '89 Shelby CSX, couple of others
2006 One Lap of America LER Media Crew

2009 Midwest SRT Nationals Attendee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode