Dodge SRT Forum

Dodge SRT Forum (https://www.srtforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.srtforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Flood Damage :( Help! (https://www.srtforums.com/forums/f166/flood-damage-help-643471/)

FastLife 06-03-2013 01:30 AM

Flood Damage :( Help!
 
So on friday it rained 5 1/2 inches in a couple hours. my car was parked on the street and it flooded really bad. I have to wait until tuesday for an adjuster to come out. I have a lot of time, energy, and money wrapped up in this car and i havent even had it for a year. its an 04 SRT4 with 89k miles. Perfect interior and almost perfect paint job. I bought the car with 84K miles 8months ago with a quite a few problems and i have been meticulously working on it to make it better.

I bought it for $6,500 the KBB value for my car is 7,588... i put at least $1,000 and now im not sure what my options will be when the insurance adjuster comes out to see it. i havent started it yet its just letting it sit until insurance comes out.

Does anyone have any insight as to what might happen or what i should do??

The picture is after the water level went down about 2-3inches

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8909ce02.jpg

05MoparSRT 06-03-2013 01:44 AM

If I'm not mistaken but don't take my word for it as I'm only 22. However I do believe insurance might total it. After hurricane sandy (I live in a hard hit area) we had a lot of cars come into work (I work at a new car dealer) that were flood damage. Some had it fixed but others had it towed I assume totaled because the engines were flooded it all depends on the adjuster really. I would wait to see what he says


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

FastLife 06-03-2013 02:14 AM

this is the longest wait of my life it feels like! :stab:

BamaSrt 06-03-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastLife (Post 9835777)
this is the longest wait of my life it feels like! :stab:

Honestly it don't look like the water got high enough to get into the engine. I'd hope they would total the car out. Let them cut u a check then they will sell you the car back for about $1500.00 That's about the average price they get form a junker place for the parts. Then Don't start the car!!! Drain the oil pan. Check for water in it. If no water the car should be fine. Drain your innercooler totally. Also I'd remove the exhaust and drain it out. Your gonna have to do allot to get the water smell out of the interior but it'd be worth it if the motor is fine. Good luck man!!!

fixit 06-03-2013 05:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
good call not starting it.
guessing its totaled..
buy it back and part it out..
seems water was high enough to submerge the pcm

orangescreon 06-03-2013 07:11 AM

I'll buy it from you if you were to buy it back, given you dont want too much more than what your buying it back for lol

FastLife 06-03-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaSrt (Post 9835783)
Honestly it don't look like the water got high enough to get into the engine. I'd hope they would total the car out. Let them cut u a check then they will sell you the car back for about $1500.00 That's about the average price they get form a junker place for the parts. Then Don't start the car!!! Drain the oil pan. Check for water in it. If no water the car should be fine. Drain your innercooler totally. Also I'd remove the exhaust and drain it out. Your gonna have to do allot to get the water smell out of the interior but it'd be worth it if the motor is fine. Good luck man!!!


I will Do that when/If I get it back i will do all of that to ensure a safe start up, thanks!

:buah: They tow'd it to the dealer and they sent it to a body shop/specialist and they told me that usually the flood line is low and mine was a lot higher. He said they would probably total it out and it would be a good car to buy back... even if i didnt decide to keep and drive it i would part it out and make more on it...

FastLife 06-03-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangescreon (Post 9835821)
I'll buy it from you if you were to buy it back, given you dont want too much more than what your buying it back for lol

just for the sake of knowing how much would you even consider buying it back for? not saying im willing im just curious as to what you would pay...

anyone have a ballpark figure of how much i can part the car out for with refurbished interior and hypothetically everything works ok...

and does anyone have a ballpark figure of how much i could sell it for if i redid the interior and everything worked?

atroph 06-03-2013 12:06 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Depends... How flooded did the interior get, or did the seals hold and keep the water out? IMO looking at the pic it doesn't look that bad.

As for the engine water isn't going to ingest itself into the motor. IMO I would remove all the connectors and spray with some contact cleaner on them, smear a little dielectric grease on them and reinstall.

I would definately check the oil and see if any water made it into the pan. Might as well change it and the tranny fluid just to be safe. Check the intercooler and the rest of the intake for stray water. Then give it a start and see what happens.

Might check the gas tank as well. They usually float keeping the water at bay, but you never know.

Oh one more thing. KBB is garbage. Use NADA (Clean retail) and local listings to bargain a price if they decide to total loss it.

All honesty I would accept the total loss if they go that way, buy it back, clean it, do the above ^^ and pocket the cash on go fast bits. Granted the car will be branded for the rest of its life as a water damaged vehicle, but if you keep it who cares? A "little green machine" should clean the interior, and for the seats best bet it to remove the covers and let the foam air dry, in the sun preferably to curb any mold growth.

As for resale, expect to take 20-25% off the going price (KBB, NADA, truecar, or Edmunds) since the title is branded. A branded title is almost the mark of death to some folks.

FastLife 06-03-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atroph (Post 9835985)
Depends... How flooded did the interior get, or did the seals hold and keep the water out? IMO looking at the pic it doesn't look that bad.

As for the engine water isn't going to ingest itself into the motor. IMO I would remove all the connectors and spray with some contact cleaner on them, smear a little dielectric grease on them and reinstall.

I would definately check the oil and see if any water made it into the pan. Might as well change it and the tranny fluid just to be safe. Check the intercooler and the rest of the intake for stray water. Then give it a start and see what happens.

Might check the gas tank as well. They usually float keeping the water at bay, but you never know.

Oh one more thing. KBB is garbage. Use NADA (Clean retail) and local listings to bargain a price if they decide to total loss it.

All honesty I would accept the total loss if they go that way, buy it back, clean it, do the above ^^ and pocket the cash on go fast bits. Granted the car will be branded for the rest of its life as a water damaged vehicle, but if you keep it who cares? A "little green machine" should clean the interior, and for the seats best bet it to remove the covers and let the foam air dry, in the sun preferably to curb any mold growth.

As for resale, expect to take 20-25% off the going price (KBB, NADA, truecar, or Edmunds) since the title is branded. A branded title is almost the mark of death to some folks.

Well the car was parked and hasnt been turned on so far as far as im aware of... and the water filled the cup holders, saturated the the front seats on the bottom section you sit on, and there is some water with the spare tire in the trunk... I looked at NADA bumped it up slightly over $8,000 but i have quite a few aftermarket parts on it along with a lot of things i have replaced lately! IDK if they will include parts into the figure they give me... im more than likely gonna keep it and redo the interior myself...

And i will also take precausions so that when i eventually decide to start it up i wont have to worry

BamaSrt 06-04-2013 02:12 AM

Keep us posted on this. Just curious how it turns out for u.

orangescreon 06-04-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastLife (Post 9836051)
im more than likely gonna keep it

This is a great thought!!! Most likely going to be one of those "I'm glad I made that decision" moments

BamaSrt 06-04-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangescreon (Post 9836495)
This is a great thought!!! Most likely going to be one of those "I'm glad I made that decision" moments

I had a cop hit my green srt and they tried to sell it to me for $1500. Which I had agree'd to. Then wouldn't you know as soon as they put it in my driveway the city was threatening to fine me because the car had leaked contaminating the ground!!!! If that's not some BS. So I ended up letting them take it. I hate hate hate that to this day. Wish I had kept it now :/

FastLife 06-04-2013 09:09 PM

Since the flood was really bad on friday state farm is so busy with claims they sent my car to dealership/collision center to get assessed for state farm. I went to the collision center to see what their assessment was. they told me that they will suggest that it be totaled out. but on a positive note they said that they checked to see if water was in the motor, cyliners, turbo, intake, and IC piping before turning it over and they said no water got in. the filter was the only thing to really get water... they told me that several of their workers and people who have stopped by have said whoever's SRT that is.. if they dont want it call them and they will buy it lol... He appraised my car in "perfect" condition... so i guess i can expect maximum amounts of money for it at least. and maybe more if they consider all the work I've done to it... ANYWAY back to topic. no water got in the motor or piping and they idled it for a while to see if it would run and if it did if any electrical problems would pursue. he said it idled perfectly and that no electrical problems have arose so far. just have to wait on insurance to get caught up so they can deal with me...


Been doing some asking around and reading on the net about how to fix water damaged cars and despite the nauseating smell i think its gonna be fun tearing this thing apart, cleaning it, and giving her hell!

FastLife 06-04-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangescreon (Post 9836495)
This is a great thought!!! Most likely going to be one of those "I'm glad I made that decision" moments

well idk if i stressed how much time alone i have in the car. ive changed so many things and done so much and its finally at a point were i feel like i dont have to worry about shit... i would prefer to keep the car just for this fact. i would have to repeat the refurbishing process with another SRT! shoot me dead if that ever happens! :stab: :knockhead:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(C) SRTforums.com

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome