• 1 Post By stowaway
  • 1 Post By Simon.Starkie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hard to find tires. Need options please.

Owning my 05 ACR might be coming to an end. Parts are hard to find, Im at 130,000 mi and the engine is still running good. After throwing a P1188 code the other day my mechanic said the engine and turbo look good. Just cant find the TIP sensor and other things, but I digress...

My question is on tires.. Im sure this has been asked 104,505 times but I cant find the thread so I will ask. I have an ACR model and original BBS rims..yes still original. It is harder and nearly impossible to find 225/45 R16 tires anymore. The ones I do find are the racing ones that will last about 10000-20000 miles on it. Still have the original Tokico stuff on them and I have to think about selling it so I need new tires.

It is very very difficult to buy 225/45 R16s. So Im asking what can I do, what are the best options without spending more than what the car is worth.
1. Can I go 215/45 R16s according to 1010tires I can but in reality can I do that?
2. Can I go 215/50 R16s? I know 225/50s can possibly rub, but will the 215/50 give me a problem?
3. I can probably find 225/45 R16s with Treadware of 200 and slap them on and sell it like that.
4. Find 17" rims and go 225/45 R17s.

I am sad that I am thinking of selling the car, but it might be time.

Thanks

Javier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:03 PM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
You should be able to go 225/50 16. Parts are not that hard to find. Transmission stuff yes but not the other stuff. You will regret selling her.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:45 PM
SRTforums Admin

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
205/50-16 is a better fit, but I don't like going skinny. If you get 17x8 wheels 235/40-17 is the best choice, but at that mileage and if you're wanting to keep the car I'd start thinking quality coilovers as that'd really open up the tire choices as well.

With stock struts or using regular neon replacements you need to limit yourself to about a 24.3" tall tire before it hits the spring perch.

But there's no reason not to go with the Dunlop direzza z3 unless you need snow traction.

As a buyer I feel better if the car has decent and correct size tires. If there's just some cheap junk on it I wonder what else has been skimped on with maintenance and service.
HybridKid likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

I should be okay with the 225/50s R16?? Wont that rub on the Tokicos? I was always under the impression that it would.

And I would totally be sorry for selling the car. I dont want to. I sent a message to H-Kid saying I might keep "Vroom" after all, but have not fully decided yet.

And I have not skimped on service..Its either Dodge or with this good mechanic that is really honest and solid. One of my baseball teammates is a dodge mechanic so he takes car of most of the work, when he cant, I go to the other guy. And I have all my paperwork and a paint job on it a few years ago since the Red started to fade a few years after buying it.

And I agree with you.. I dont want to go too skinny and for me the 205 seems to be too skinny. I would not be comfortable selling the car to someone with that tire if I do sell it. But if I got new coilovers would that open up my choices for 16"s?

Thanks for the info..
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:52 PM
SRTforums Admin

Lifetime Premium Member
225/50-16 is definitely too tall without modifications. If you go with coilovers then that definitely opens things up and a 225/50-16 would be a great choice.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:19 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Fun little tire size calculator...

https://www.americastire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator
s3*ps2 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaway View Post
225/50-16 is definitely too tall without modifications. If you go with coilovers then that definitely opens things up and a 225/50-16 would be a great choice.
I just went on 1010tires and looked up the specs of the 225/50 and oh yeah at 24.80 thats too tall. The 205/50s would be the best fit for the car if I cant find 225/45s. The 205/50s wouldnt be a bad choice to do in the mean time until I decide to keep or sell the car. That or still look for 215/45s.

Now, I fly planes for a living and do not work on my car so if you ever asked about airplane stuff, I can tell you everything about it, but how to work on my car.. not a chance. So this is going to sound really really dumb. Changing my coilovers wouldnt solve my perch problem right? I would have to change the coilovers and shocks. I currently have the stock Tokicos but if I want to open up my tire choice, I would have to get rid of those (and they probably need replacing anyway) and go with something like Eibach or something like that? I know.. dumb question, but this helps me decide to keep or sell the car.

Javier
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Been doing some reading and some past posts. If I got this wrong, I hope you would tell me
Modern Performance has coilover, struts, and lowering springs. If I wanted the most economical solution, it would be the Koni inserts and new springs? Would this eliminate my perch problem and open up my tire choices or since they are only inserts, I will still have the perch problem?
Modern Performance has the koni inserts, and the Tokico struts for the ACR but only have the eibach lowering springs. But MP does have coilovers for about $1,000 but since the car is only worth $3500-$4500. I dont know if I want to spend that much especially since Ill never get that money back if I sell the car. If I was going to keep it, or had this done years ago, then I can see that, but now. I have to keep options open. But at the same time I want to learn. From here I learned how to replace my timing belt, water pump and next its probably going to be the TIP sensor and the whole harness kit.. That freaking red vacuum line keeps popping out every time I go high boost.
So Ive been doing my research..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:15 AM
SRTforums Admin

Lifetime Premium Member
Coilovers do solve the height problem because the big spring perch is removed. This is not the case for koni inserts since they reuse the body of your stock struts. Lowering springs won't fix it as the perch issue.

I'd go with the 205/50 option, but use a decent uhp tire.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:45 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Another option is an air hammer or cut off wheel for the spring perch. I did that when I still had my ACR struts on. At the time I was able to fit some Kuhmo Ecsta XS 225/50 tires on. You don't need to remove much material to get them to fit.

DiabloSport tuned by Brian (Mindmelt101) at Drag-On Resources.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Coilovers do solve the height problem because the big spring perch is removed. This is not the case for koni inserts since they reuse the body of your stock struts. Lowering springs won't fix it as the perch issue.

I'd go with the 205/50 option, but use a decent uhp tire.

I get it.. so Im on the same page with you and understand now. Coilovers will be the best option for that and if I keep the car, thats the way Im going to go. Ive eliminated the Koni and the Tokico HP option since it wont do me any good. I might just do one of two things...go for the R1R or go with the 205/50 R16s... but I am finding that a lot of them have a load of 86-87...I thought the min the ACR had to have was an 89. So looking for some tires with a load factor of at least 89.

Sorry it took so long to reply..was out on a trip.

Javier.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:48 AM
SRTforums Admin

Lifetime Premium Member
89 is the stated minimum load rating, but there should still be some options out there.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
89 is the stated minimum load rating, but there should still be some options out there.
There are a few out there with an 89 and up so Ill look for that. Im not thrilled with going 205s but knowing that its an option and I still have about 4 months before I need tires, Ill keep looking for some 225s to pop up. Thank you for your help I learned a lot.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:

And my battery died today.. Nothing but the sounds of electricity zipping with no action. Im thinking my car is revolting.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 PM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode