LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thumbs Down Bead won't pop on stock rims

Hey friends,

I need some information. I recently took off my stock wheels to repaint them. I had them professionally powder coated black, then sanded and polished the face before having them cleared. They came out beautiful, I ordered some new tires while I was at it and have been having some major issues with mounting.

Without doing enough research I ordered some 215/45/17 Falken Azenis 615K+ tires, I knew the sizing was going to be a bit tight but I went for it because I really wanted to run these tires. Upon having them mounted, the shop was unable to get the bead to pop on the rims. They were able to air them up to (60+PSI) but about an 8" section of the tire would not pop over the bead on the rim. Regretfully I sent them back and decided to order another tire in the factory size.

Fast forward another couple of weeks of my car being down and I received my 205/50/17 Pirelli P Zero Treffeo R tires. I thought for sure being the stock size that these would pop right on, but again after taking them to be mounted the exact same issue occurred. This time about 6 inches of the bead would not pop. They aired them over 100 PSI and tried putting them in the sun and every other method they could and they would not go on. They said the only other thing to try would be to put them on the car and try rolling it a bit to see if the weight would pop them on.

They ended up dismounting the tires and then just to be sure they put on a unidirectional 215/55/17 and it popped the bead like nothing.

Did I by coincidence order two sets of tires that will not fit the stock rims, or do you guys think there is something else going on? Are the stock wheels unable to use directional or run flat style tires? I'm pretty discouraged by the whole thing as my car has been down over 2 months for something I thought would be a week.

I want something pretty aggressive for the street/track as my car sees far less than 10k miles per year and is ~425 wheel. The other option that I am considering is the Toyo R888 but I am concerned to order those for fear of the same issue. Could this be a speed rating/stiff sidewall issue? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

2004 Flame Red SOLD: Stage 1, CAI, 3'' Turbo back w/electric cutout, AGP Wastegate, Greddy Type s, Turbo XS MBC, Stage 2 Injectors, Walbro 255, BFMIC, Apexi Neo, Prothane Inserts, AGP Trans Mount, Catch Can, Tein Springs, Short Shifter.

2005 Flame Red: Stage 3 w/ bolt ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Here is a pic of the finished wheels. Quite happy with how they came out!

https://ibb.co/dgQq92L

2004 Flame Red SOLD: Stage 1, CAI, 3'' Turbo back w/electric cutout, AGP Wastegate, Greddy Type s, Turbo XS MBC, Stage 2 Injectors, Walbro 255, BFMIC, Apexi Neo, Prothane Inserts, AGP Trans Mount, Catch Can, Tein Springs, Short Shifter.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

@stowaway

I saw in a few of the stickies that you ran the 225/45/17 615s on your car. Was that on the stock wheel? Do you think the 215s didn't pop because of the hight of the tire? I'm running BC coils with a moderate amount of clearance and planning on a 4 wheel alignment when I get something to fit. I would really love to run the 615s I'm just scared to order anything at this point. Would love your input on all this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:19 PM
SRTforums Admin

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
No, I used 17x7 wheels.

I would have made sure the wheel was well lubed, even sanding the inner hoop area smooth, and working the tire a bit more and not relying on just air.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Do you know if anyone has reported using the 205/50/17 Pirelli P Zero Treffeo R or Toyo R888 on the stock wheels? I can't understand why the stock size would not seat on the wheels.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Taking a look, I see they actually make the Pirelli in a Y and ZR speed rating. The Y is supposed to fit the stock wheel while the ZR does not. They sent me the ZR when I ordered the Y. Hopefully this helps someone in the future with this question on the Trefeo R. The Toyo R888 is also supposed to fit and does have the ZR speed rating. Must be something to do with the stiffness of the bead reinforcement used in the Pirelli. Just a heads up to others that might think that as long as you are ordering the stock size they will fit your rim, that appearently does not apply to every tire.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Finally got my tires mounted. Ended on the 205/50/17 Toyo Proxes R888R. Shocked how well these hook up. I have never had second gear in my car and they dead hook. I am actually going to turn up my boost by gear a bit. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21727BEF-04DF-4FEA-9A6B-C9C89EF6C189_1562726565466.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	138313   Click image for larger version

Name:	2A3E27D8-9393-4A0C-95AE-492017B0DB1F_1562726587636.jpg
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	138315   Click image for larger version

Name:	73F4B02B-4679-4803-AA16-4EA644900EDC_1562726615916.jpg
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	138317  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
odd issue. I havent had stock wheels in many many years, but i havent heard of that being an issue. I sometimes regret selling my stock wheels. I like the looks of them, i just hate how skinny they are.

435 HP & 438 TQ -E85
Tuned by Turbo666 on his mustang dyno

Best ET to date: 12.1 @ 124 on DR's
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:58 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
^Agreed. OP is at 420whp and rocking 205's on the stock 6 inch wide wagon wheels. Damn.

Wheels do look great, love the gunmetal/gray face with the black insides. I am guessing the powdercoating/clear setup affected the bead.

05 PW1 SRT-4
AGP 50 trim and supporting mods
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Agreed, I think everyone wishes that the stockers were wider than they are. For my application I really want to stay with the stock look as it seems less and less of our cars are not heavily modified in the looks department. Being a stage car for me it just puts it in a nice little Niche to see an SRT that is relatively what you could have ordered from Dodge. The black inner section with the polished face looks really reminiscent of the period viper wheels which I also loved.

With the tires, I ended up spending over an hour on the phone with Tire Rack and talking to about 5 different people. With the Falkens it was a sizing issue for sure. But with the Pirellis, the bead is reinforced so brutally being a 186+MPH speed rating (regularly run 200+) that it is just huge. You can physically see that it is wider than the gap in the stock bead seating area of the rim. It just doesn't want to go in there.

The traction of the R888R is actually shocking to me. 205 or not, first gear was actually somewhat usable for me (granted its set at like 10 psi) but even in second gear around 18 psi, there is 0 and I mean 0 spin. I thought for sure these tires would cure the 3rd gear traction issues but I was pleasantly surprised. I am eager to go back to the track and see what kind of 60 I can cut with them. Lord knows what kind of milage you can expect from a set, but since I do far less than 10k a year in my car I am not concerned with that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode