LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2611 of 2685 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:38 AM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTShadow View Post

Next up, moved to the AC/Heater blower. I remembered on our old Ram, you had to reach over and beat on the bottom of the heater box to get the fan to start moving. So I turned the fan all the way on, no sound, no nothing, then I beat on the bottom of it...

AAAAaaaaand it started moving, all sorts of rattle so I shut it down right away. Took it apart, a huge pile of seeds fell out. Yuck. Got the shop vac out and went to work. Then brought the fan itself in and cleaned it and the blower up as best I could.

It took awhile to get all of the seeds out, at least I think I got most everything, put it all back together, now everything works in the Heat/AC blower assembly.

So, kicked most of the electrical problems I was having. Tomorrow I need to take apart the passenger door and find out why the electric window keeps getting stuck when I try to bring it up. I can tug on the top of it and bring it up, not sure if it is off a track lower down but I need to find out.

I'll hopefully get that seatbelt sensor tackled too!
What you have there is a seed harvester.
HybridKid likes this.

2004 Silver SRT-4
Stage I, AEM CAI, UDP, cut balance chain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2685 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Pretty much man, pretty much! I am not even sure I got it all out of there but I did my best haha.

I stopped in at the U PULL IT again to see if there was a set of R/T 16" rims. Unfortunately there were not. So I went ahead and got the new tires for my 15" rims.

I went with the BF Goodrich 195/55R15 Advantage T/A Sport. I was concerned that the tire shop would have a lot of issues, but things weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. After the install, they aligned the front tires, but to do the rear they are recommending to first get a set of the aftermarket adjustable rear control arms (I believe that is what they are called?). They quoted 210 dollars a piece for them, without install costs. Uh... NO. I will find them myself than you.

As far as the new tires... Immediately pleased. Hard to believe what a difference it made. I thought I had wheel bearings going out in back, but nope, just horrible tires making all that racket. As wonderful as it is to have that racket gone, including the "unbalanced shimmy" (and the "trunk clunk"), I now need to narrow down anything else making racket.

I'm appalled at how awful this Rock Auto fuel pump is that I installed. It is ridiculously loud, and varies how loud it is both by volume and pitch. Aggravating, considering I spent extra to get a mid level quality pump that was about 30 dollars more than their cheapest one.

I spent 100 dollars on it (locally they wanted 200 to 300 for one), and it was NOT money well spent. It works, but that's not saying a lot considering how unbelievably annoying it is, all the time.

post #2613 of 2685 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Hit U Pull It again today. Got some screws for the plastic piece that fits between the bumper and the radiator support, a few were missing. It is such a mess down there, I am going to use vice grips to try and bend some of it all back into place tomorrow, then screw the plastic back in. While laying under the car I was pulling the screws from, looked up and realized it was a manual car. I needed the stock shift knob (some asshat put a piece of crap aftermarket fake "carbon fiber" knob on that didn't hold up the boot), sure enough, it was in there. Not too bad of shape either. Cleaned it up and put it on later, looks great. Pretty happy about that, online they are about 30 bucks. I got it for 2 dollars.

Also picked up a few more pieces for the spare tire kit. Does anyone have a list of items that would come with an 02' Neon for the spare tire? I have the spare tire itself, the jack, the long bolt with the special head that slides into the bottom of the spare tire well, the wing nut that goes on top, the funky metal cap with the two tabs, and the folding lug nut wrench. Not sure if there are any other items.

I pulled the two horn assembly off a Chrysler Pacifica. I'll try and get that installed tomorrow. Needed one lugnut, saw one laying there with the little "M" on the end, nabbed it. Also found an entire factory Neon floormat set, I'd say fair condition, got them anyway. I have a rubber set of mats in, I'll just put those on top of the factory set after I clean them up.

Not a bad haul for 20 bucks. I always talk up a storm the people who work there, it works often times to get some good deals. They let me take a few items for nothing simply because they are getting to know me again (been about 10 years since I've worked on a car and been to U Pull it).

Took the car down the the farm tonite, bigger air compressor, better tools for cleaning rust and corrosion off of things. Used all air tools, air grinder, air wire wheel, and something called a "needle scaler". That thing was pretty cool, it is a bunch of small long metal rods that stick out of the end of a pipe, air actuated. It amounts to about 24 miniature jackhammers. Simulates sand blasting. Between those three tools, got the brakes looking really really good. Then I used red brake paint from Oreilly's. The back has drum brakes but it's not too bad, better than pitted horrific rust.

Wish I had done some before and after photos. This car is so much better looking than it was sitting there not running 3 weeks ago.

post #2614 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Pulled the headlight on the passenger side today and installed a dual horn setup. Sounds so much better. Unfortunately, as I went to remove the inside "long bolt", the head tore off. NOT good. Very glad I purchased the new headlights though. After trying to drill out the bolt, breaking 4 of my drill bits (FOUR OF THEM!!!) I said screw it, folded a towel against the body and used a crowbar to break the old light out. Oddly enough, the bolt was in hand tight and I was able to use my fingers to unscrew it from underneath. But there was no way I would have gotten to it with the light in place I hate breaking things, even when I have something to replace it.

So, ended up at U Pull It AGAIN today, picked up several of those long headlight screws (just in case). Also got a front emblem from a 2003, used the dremel to trim the sides so it will fit on mine (2002 had a really withered sticker type Ram emblem).

I'm going to wait until I get the car painted to put that emblem on, and the new headlights, and the fog lamps... so on, and so forth... no reason to install the good stuff now, Maaco is kinda notorious for having overspray here and there.

Tonite I have the driver's side front wheel off, fender splash guard pulled back, intake box (is that what the F that thing is called?) pulled out, and I'm trying to fix a crack in the bumper cover. I'm using strips of gorilla tape and JB Weld plastic repair, hoping to avoid purchasing a bumper cover. They are maybe about 50 bucks, but I've spent too much money already, and with a 399 dollar paint job coming up, I want to start to limit some of my cash outflow haha.

post #2615 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Well hell... I fix one problem another pops up. ON the way home from youpullit, with about 4 of those seatbelt sensors (gotta make sure I have one that works, and I think my SRT may need one soon) the engine light comes on.

P0551 - power steering pressure switch.

Well, at least, near as I can see, this one shouldn't be detrimental to daily driving. Just another item to fix. Switch appears to be in a rather annoying location though.

I did install the seatbelt sensor, finally the light goes off on the dash now when I put it on. And hey, it even chimes now when the seatbelt is not on, that's new
HybridKid likes this.

post #2616 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Got the key fob programmed this morning, bought it off amazon for 8 bucks. Got the programming, a 2nd skim key, and a spare key just for the door, all for under 100 bucks. Went to a locksmith, dealer wanted an arm and a leg to do it. Was a little worried, they told me with the check engine light on, sometimes that locks them out to where they can't do anything to get the code they needed, thankfully that wasn't the case.

Feels so odd using a keyfob with this car, never really expected it to get to this point, but awesome so far.

Currently working on the body, sanding and filling little spots. I need to replace the rear bumper, cover is good but the bumper itself is about to fall apart from rust. I have a donor to use so it shouldn't be a problem.

Still have to get to the P0551 issue, keep putting it off.

post #2617 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
So, picked up the power steering pressure sensor from Autozone for about 31 dollars (part#PS399). Got the car up on jackstands and slid underneath. Took me more time to find the dang thing than to actually replace it. Once I realized I needed to be facing the backside of the cross member (basically laying under the driver's seat looking forward) to see the sensor on the back of the steering gear, it was about a 5 minute job.

Engine light stayed on (I don't have an OBDII reader/code clearer) so I headed over to O'Reilly's, code cleared, and voila! First time I've had every check light (battery light, check engine, seatbelt) off with a clear dashboard.

Still prepping the car for paint, body work stinks

Oh, and finally ordered an OBDII code reader on Amazon. Will let you know how it works.

post #2618 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Truck Got Smacked With Hail

So, the SRT takes up one side of the garage at all times. Because I'm working on this 2002 Neon (anyone that doesn't realize that by now in this thread is either blind or suffering from brain damage haha) it has been in the garage a lot. As I got home tonite it was raining, had no expectation of hail at all, it appeared to just be a simple thundercell without much for bad weather.

Parked the truck on the street so I could pull the car out and work on it in the driveway, it was raining so I figured I'd just endure the rain and wetsand the car tonite with 600 grit to get it ready for the Maaco estimate tomorrow. Right as I get out into the driveway...

ping...

ping...

PING...

Oh shxx!! I had to make a choice, put the car out on the street and watch it get trashed (oh and it would have been blasted) to put the truck all the way in the garage, and even then might not have gotten the truck put away in time and then both vehicle shit...

Or move the car all the way back in, save the 2002 Neon (liability only insurance), then get the truck in as far as I can behind it, and hope that the truck skin (being tougher than cars, usually handles hail well) can avoid getting damaged.

Got the car in, ran out getting pelted by hail, as I was pulling the truck up the driveway it really started slamming, the quarter to golf ball sized hail coming down...

Could only get the truck in to about the halfway point on the roof of the crew cab. Then got out and just stood in the garage watching the damage as it continued for several more minutes.

Afterwards, got a clean rag out and started checking, sure enough, lightly pelted all over the hood, at least 15 pock marks. The roof appears to be even worse, but the rain is still coming down so hard that I can't really tell how bad it is.

Then we got more hail, smaller. Right now there are tornados to the west of us, coming this way

Oh well, the 500 dollar deductible is going to be in full affect, I guess at this point it is just a matter of how much damage it will total in the end.

Sadly, 24 hours from now, the truck would have been inside an hour before the storm and the car would have been 30 minutes east of here getting an estimate at Maaco for the paint job.

SADNESS!!!

The rain is coming down so hard I can't even get the car out to wetsand it for tomorrow...

Some good news, my OBDII port reader came today.

post #2619 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:26 AM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Damn!! Will the insurance cover one of those dent removal services?
post #2620 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Yeah, I think so. But that 500 dollar deductible...

Not really all that concerned about it, because sometimes things get put into perspective real quick. My little brother was in Hawaii to attend a wedding, and a member of the wedding party went into the surf, misjudged a wave, and got killed against the rocks. Happened the same day as the hail storm.

Truck is just a truck, insured... can't replace life. He was one of my brother's best friends.
HybridKid likes this.

post #2621 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Car is at Maaco, will pick up on Tuesday next week. Hoping for the best, this Maaco is actually pretty good and I did all the prep work, removed the headlights, taillights, license plates, and license plate light.
HybridKid likes this.

post #2622 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
So far

Here's the product so far. Hoping to sell it around here for about $3,000. Neons with double the mileage this has go for 2500. Stripes were difficult but it was my first time doing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.0 Neon SXT.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	137074  
bzzt likes this.

post #2623 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 12:37 PM
"Made" Member

post #2624 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks... got the stripes on the spoiler tonite, holy cripes that sucked. Laying one down, peeling it off, stretching, redoing, peeling off, peeling back to get air bubbles out, so on and so forth... reasonably happy with the outcome, but the underside of the spoiler is not as nice as I'd like, the stripes have a few tiny air bubbles and creases. Have to get up close to see them.

post #2625 of 2685 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 AM
"Made" Member

You should try "windex" so you can position the stripes and help with the bubbles. It will dry fine as you squeegee most of it anyway once lined up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode