Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good video
Simon.Starkie likes this.

1986 GLHS #329
2004 SRT4 Powered by DCR & Forward Motion
FM Stock Appearing Stage 5 Buildup (E1 Turbo, Factory cams/gears) Turn Key Ready
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21242 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 AM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Does anyone know the material difference and hardness between the Hondata and Thermalnator Intake Manifold gaskets? Thanks.
post #21243 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:55 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Well, that was too brief.

Slightly larger collection of drips under the '4 than the usual off the intercooler pipe. Turns out the seam between my engine and transmission is seeping. Quite a bit; it's "moist" after just running the engine for 5 minutes. So, the million dollar question is what am I looking at; main seal replacement? 15hrs book time if I'm reading/googling this correctly? Christ.

I'm so chaffed; did a 1k km roadtrip yesterday and was really looking forward to putting mileage on the '4 this summer. Swapped plates, insurance and wheels back over to the PT for now. It's still fun... but it's not a Neon.

Excuse me while I go have a cry.
HybridKid likes this.

"This car is 100% sh*ts and giggles."

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson
SRT-4 Production Epitaph | Thinking of buying an SRT-4? READ THIS.
| toasteroven.srt @Instagram

post #21244 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:52 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toasteroven View Post

Slightly larger collection of drips under the '4 than the usual off the intercooler pipe. Turns out the seam between my engine and transmission is seeping. Quite a bit; it's "moist" after just running the engine for 5 minutes. So, the million dollar question is what am I looking at; main seal replacement? 15hrs book time if I'm reading/googling this correctly? Christ.

I'm so chaffed; did a 1k km roadtrip yesterday and was really looking forward to putting mileage on the '4 this summer. Swapped plates, insurance and wheels back over to the PT for now. It's still fun... but it's not a Neon.

Maybe I'm an optimist...

It could be leaking from above the bell housing.
Then running down down and looking like the seam is leaking.
That is, it could be just a leaking cam seal or leaking valve cover gasket.
Check above the transmission.

Another possibility, assuming you have the stock airbox.
Is it leaking from the valve cover breather pipe that you maybe forgot to connect to the airbox?
And even then alot of oil from that breather pipe would have nowhere to go except out the bottom of the airbox.
You were talking the other day about the sponge filter for the airbox breather hose...

Last, I don't suppose it really is the oil from the UPP pipe that is so common?

Good luck.
HybridKid and toasteroven like this.

Last edited by Simon.Starkie; 03-20-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #21245 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Just replaced my clutch after the clutch master stage 2 spline was loose and making a loud chatter, also while I was there I replace the trans fluid along with cleaning up some wires and adding heat wraps and tape for better protection. Also just replaced both o2 sensors and map sensor to help with poor afr all thatís left is the fuel pump and hopefully that covers all bases with the afr. Once the pump is done Iíll be doing a boost leak test to confirm all bases are covered.

Tapatalk
HybridKid, JmalB and toasteroven like this.
post #21246 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 AM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Quote:

Like Simon said except the cam seal part, they are on the other side of the engine.
I have a very slight leak from the oil pan that causes it at times to have the same symptoms as you do. The oil comes from the back side since the engine is tilted to that side but somehow follows the lip of the oil pan and gets behind the 'dust cover' there at the bottom.
You will have to pull that off and look up there to see if you can tell where the oil is coming from. Good Luck on it Not being the main seal.
post #21247 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:30 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Starkie View Post
Maybe I'm an optimist...

It could be leaking from above the bell housing.
Then running down down and looking like the seam is leaking.
That is, it could be just a leaking cam seal or leaking valve cover gasket.
Check above the transmission.

Another possibility, assuming you have the stock airbox.
Is it leaking from the valve cover breather pipe that you maybe forgot to connect to the airbox?
And even then alot of oil from that breather pipe would have nowhere to go except out the bottom of the airbox.
You were talking the other day about the sponge filter for the airbox breather hose...

Last, I don't suppose it really is the oil from the UPP pipe that is so common?

Good luck.
Stock airbox. Nope; line's all hooked up. Minimal drippage out the bottom of the airbox. I replaced the PCV valve when we removed the deer. The intercooler drip is a closer to the drivers' side wheel.

I just removed the airbox and inspected the top side; I can only see the front half, so there could very well be shena****ns going on on the firewall side I can't see. I'll find a lift sooner or later and set aside a day to really pull stuff apart.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridKid View Post
Like Simon said except the cam seal part, they are on the other side of the engine.
I have a very slight leak from the oil pan that causes it at times to have the same symptoms as you do. The oil comes from the back side since the engine is tilted to that side but somehow follows the lip of the oil pan and gets behind the 'dust cover' there at the bottom.
You will have to pull that off and look up there to see if you can tell where the oil is coming from. Good Luck on it Not being the main seal.
It could be oil pan too; I'm going to thoroughly clean that whole area once I get it up on a lift and run it again to pinpoint where it's coming from.

There's also a possibility it could be the oil pressure sensor / seal finally going; I get the intermittent oil light on start-up (ever since 2014) and it's definitely up there on the back of the block in the right location (I think).

Even if it is the main seal, it will be fixed. Short of being compressed into a cube of metal, I will always fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still miss driving it. It would have been fantastic on that roadtrip I just took.
HybridKid likes this.

"This car is 100% sh*ts and giggles."

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson
SRT-4 Production Epitaph | Thinking of buying an SRT-4? READ THIS.
| toasteroven.srt @Instagram
post #21248 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:30 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
LOL thanks Marlon, it's been a while and I forget things more often nowadays

Also, making good progress on the biennial maintenance.
PCM, MAP, TIP, injectors, all swapped and test drive OK with no codes.
Managed to lose one of the original screws that attach the solenoid bracket to the stock airbox.
Ace Hardware had an almost perfect replacement, 8mm, a wee bit longer but silver instead of black.
So BBQ stove black paint should help it avoid any unwanted attention.
Also, the hood support clip decided to fall apart so it's time for a tript to a Neon junk yard looking for those two pieces.
Probably a bit OCD but hey, it's my car and that's me!
HybridKid likes this.

Last edited by Simon.Starkie; 03-21-2019 at 02:11 PM.
post #21249 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:30 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

If it takes 15 hours....there's a 8 hour nap in there somewhere

Rebuild the whole damn car with 15hrs lol. No not kidding....motor out; on stand broken down and reassembled then back into the car....15 hours lol

BTW use UV dye to pinpoint your leak....works every time and takes the guess work out of everything
bzzt likes this.

go ahead...change yours too now; again

Last edited by lVlemphizStylez; 03-21-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #21250 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 PM
SRTforums Member

What Have You Done To Your Srt4 Lately?

Well changed the fuel pump and while I was hooking up the battery I thought Iíd look at a few things and took a look at my pcm and was wondering if itís a staged pcm. I know itís a bit faded but if anyone has any knowledge I would greatly appreciate it.

Tapatalk

Last edited by 04nsrt4spooln; 03-22-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #21251 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:54 PM
SRTforums Member

Welp after a few hours for digging thru google I believe I have a stage one pcm.

Tapatalk
post #21252 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 AM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nsrt4spooln View Post
Welp after a few hours for digging thru google I believe I have a stage one pcm.

Tapatalk
Yeah I can see "Premium unleaded only... Not for use on public roads..." haha
04nsrt4spooln likes this.

2004 Silver SRT-4
Stage I, AEM CAI, UDP, cut balance chain
post #21253 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 AM
SRTforums Member

I went shopping for a new battery because it got to the point where I had to charge it once a month or so. Was looking for one with more cold cranking amps but ended up just getting an Everstart one again from Walmart for $48.95 (the last one lasted 3.5 years so can't complain). There were other places that sold basically the same battery, with the same CCA but they were $100 - $130.

2004 Silver SRT-4
post #21254 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:56 PM
SRTforums Member

Put the winter wheels away and bought these beauties. :-)

BFGoodrich
G-Force Comp 2 A/S

HybridKid and toasteroven like this.

2004 Silver SRT-4
post #21255 of 21342 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:24 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Put a new window regulator/motor assembly in driver door. I also added the modern performance door handle fix and an interior belt (that thing that scrubs the glass on the inside as it goes up and down). The exterior belts are shot, but I don't want to replace them unless I get paint. I have had them in the garage for over a year, lol! I go back and forth about whether to keep this car or not so we will see if it gets paint. It's looking pretty sad with the clear coat peeling off.

A few weeks ago I did the LEDs in the dash and while I was in there found the dash speakers had been replaced with the wires just bent over each other and taped! No wonder they cut out. Well, turns out one of them was dead anyway, so I found some from back east out of a wreck. I also sent one of my aeroforce gauges back to get fixed. It needed a new display and they fixed it and returned it quickly for 40 bucks. Not bad since I didn't buy it from them. I got it all back together, everything worked...except the boost gauge light! arrgh. I probably forgot to plug it in at the plug by the cluster, oh well. I'll do it one of these days.
HybridKid, toasteroven and bzzt like this.

2005 SRT-4, 47lb wheel Stage 3, E85...
2002 Camaro SS M6, PTE 7675 Turbo, E85...
2003 SRT-4 Sold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List
turbo666

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode