Hot intake Air - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hot intake Air

K,

We have been discussing this AEM intake and other open eliment setup and have been saying that its no biggie if we injest hot air cause the FMIC takes care of it.

Here are the things we need to think about:

We know what the turbo heats up the air, but does it multiply it by a factor of 1 or does it really multiply it by 2 etc?
Ex:temp entering the turbo is say 10, coming out the turbo is 50. If temp is raised to 20 entering the turbo, does it come out at 60 or maybe 100?

Now, regardless of what the the turbo is doing, im pretty sure that the hotter the air entering the turbo, the hotter it will come out.

Now for the FMIC. Lets say it drops temps by 25%. YOu have 100 degrees entering in, out comes 75 Deg. Now if you increase the temp to say 120 cause you had hotter air entering the intake, you will have air thats hotter than 100 degrees entering your throttle body.

It all comes down to this, the hotter the air entering your filter, the hotter the air will be entering your throttle body.

If you want to see how the temp varies with intake temps, you will have to read teh temp at the turbo discharge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:08 PM

Easy to understand and I believe it!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:13 PM

just look in the thread AEM or aem junk or?? i posted in there info given to us SRT-4 owners by ethan bayer (engine performance engineer & stage upgrade guy) at the detroit meet on 8/20 everything stated on there came right from a PVO engineer dont shoot me im only the messanger

[edit -- ekool -- sig image too large, keep it to 300x300 or less]
the yellow beast...............SOLD..........not an SRTOC member anymore...................

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:18 PM

I think PVO knows what there doing. If it worked they'd make one and sell it to us! But , what if I made a air box around the AEM filter and ducked it to to the left fog light?

Tom M
Black 03'
3"cat&down pipe
Short shifter
Stage 1 ASAP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom M
I think PVO knows what there doing. If it worked they'd make one and sell it to us! But , what if I made a air box around the AEM filter and ducked it to to the left fog light?
ethan said that that would be a great way to get a ram air effect....its just up to you if you want to remove the fog light

[edit -- ekool -- sig image too large, keep it to 300x300 or less]
the yellow beast...............SOLD..........not an SRTOC member anymore...................
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:38 PM

If its foggie I'll drive my wifes Jeep , Ethan ,do you have a Volume for the air box? I make custom Carbon part for sail boats all day long this would a great lunch and break project !

Tom M
Black 03'
3"cat&down pipe
Short shifter
Stage 1 ASAP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:42 PM

Removing the fog light is not an option for me. It's just something I wouldn't do. The more I hear about feedback from the PVO guys from the meet, the more I only want to buy Ma' Mopar's parts. I can't see them releasing anything that would adversely affect the performance or longevity of the car. They have to stand behind the car, they made the damn thing! Now AEM, although I loved my CAI on my del Sol, They didn't make the car, and might not know how it would have adversely affected my car. It didn't, but it could have. Now if Honda made a CAI for my car, I would expect them to have tested it so thuroughly for performance and longevity of the car, something that I don't think any aftermarket company is willing to do.

Am I just rambling here? Does any of this make sense? Where are my pants?

-dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 04:53 PM
SRTforums Member

Edit:

The question I have to ask is: What part of the stock system isn't considered a CAI?

From what I see it would be tough to improve on this unless you were to add larger ducting to feed a bigger turbo, and even with that I don't know that you need to remove the box.

This puppy sucks cool clean air from the drivers fenderwell, hard to argue with what the factory did here . . .

piece by piece the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity

Last edited by Emmeran; 08-21-2003 at 05:24 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 06:35 PM

arioch,

i agree 100% and even after today reading the pvo guys discussion I am even more sure of that for me. what i felt was interesting was that the pvo guys did say some mods outside of mopar were good things to do and to me that means something.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 06:52 PM

Turbulence

Quote:
Originally posted by warriorbob
ethan said that that would be a great way to get a ram air effect....its just up to you if you want to remove the fog light
With supercharged cars requiring a lot of intake air, I have learned that the "ram air" effect is only beneficial if the conduit runs straight into the throttle body. Any bend at all creates air turbulence, and subsequently negates the benefits of "ram air." With this in mind, running ducting from your foglamp will, indeed, bring in cooler air, but the benefits will be negated by the turbulence caused by the bend in you air intake tube. This has been tested on the '03 Cobras a number of times. The best dyno numbers come from a cone-style air filter plugged directly onto the factory air intake tube. This is just for blowers, though, which suck air through the throttle body. Since you are forcing air through the throttle body, this rule may not apply. Just my .02.

Also, someone said they didn't believe a company would sell them something that would not work as promised. That is not true. Companies will manipulate testing to get whatever results they need to sell a product.

2008 Cobalt SS
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 06:54 PM

Exhaust Depot; I agree with you, if the air goes in hotter it comes out hotter. The turbo isn't a furnace with a thermostat that always heats the air to XXX degrees just like the intercooler isn't an air conditioner with a thermostat that cools the air to XXX degrees. Both depend on the temperature of the air entering. Cooler air in equals cooler air out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode