Dodge SRT Forum banner

Dodge SRT4. At the (almost) end of it's run, bow your heads and reflect.

66K views 271 replies 166 participants last post by  Dr. Who 
#1 · (Edited)
Veterans2 – correct me if need be with the details.

Well, September of this year will see the end of the Dodge SRT4 as we currently know it. With DCX planning to match GM's employee pricing plans (announced in Canada today), and the last of the '05s and '05 1/2's getting ready to be built, there has never been a better time to buy an SRT4... or take a moment and think back on it's short, 3-year run.

It goes to sleep as the king of its roost; the Cobalt SS, Ion Redline, and the various import competition still haven't matched its brutal assault on the sport compact market as its nearest competitor has nearly a 30-horsepower disadvantage. It’s still the best bang for the buck, and it still starts around $20k (US).

Originally, the SRT4 was simply the Dodge SRT, and instead of being turbocharged, the first prototype was supercharged. And only 2.0 liters to boot. But it caught people’s attention, and the SRT team (then called PVO; Performance Vehicle Operations) kept the project evolving. Soon yellow and red prototypes were photographed here and there, minus the production model’s dual air intakes on either side of the front Dodge emblem, and wore PT GT 17” rims. But the key ingredients were there – turbocharged motor, dual-outlet muffler-less exhaust (which many magazines doubted would make it into production), boost gauge and Viper-inspired race seats.

Then came the announcement – the SRT-4 would be built in a limited production run for 2003. Online forums buzzed with anticipation, and enthusiasts began to line up. The prototype was shown to Sport Compact Car and Edmunds – who both gave it glowing reviews and couldn’t wait to drive it again. SCC awarded the SRT-4 it’s newly minted “Sport Compact of the Year” award for 2003.

For 2003, only the US got the car – and around 3500 examples were built. Color choices were silver, black, red and yellow. The dealer markups that usually surround limited edition models like the SRT-4 were present, but many buyers were simply too informed to get suckered into them. The 2003’s only fault, as cited by many online reviews and owners was its lack of a limited slip differential to translate all 215hp to the pavement.

PVO was listening.

For 2004, the SRT-4 got a power bump to 230hp and 250lb-ft (up 15 and 5, respectively), and a Quaife limited-slip differential as standard gear. The tires were changed from Michelin Pilot Sports to BFGoodrich KDWs, and little bits here and there were tweaked. Also, a sunroof was added as an option for 2004. About 15,000 SRT-4s were built for 2004, this time being available for sale in Mexico and Canada as well as the US. Canadians everywhere (including myself) rejoiced. Yellow paint was replaced with blue.

Mid-way through 2004, the Kicker Livin’ Loud audio option was made available as well, replacing the stock 6-speakers with Kicker speakers, and a powered 100-watt amplifier in the trunk.

Starting with the 2003s, owners wanted upgrade kits direct from Mopar, and the aftermarket soon swelled to meet demand. But owners wanted to be able to tweak out their SRT-4s with stuff designed by the guys who built the car.

Again, PVO was listening.

Stage kits were released, suspension bits made available, and a whole section of the Mopar Performance Parts Catalog is now devoted to the SRT-4. Aftermarket parts from turbo upgrades to vinyl are now abundant, and the enthusiasts couldn’t be happier. 400+hp SRT-4s terrorize modded V8s at the dragstrips, while stock production cars like the WRX, 350Z, S2000, and previous generation Mustang GTs now shirk to the shadows whenever a burbling SRT-4 pulls up beside them.

PVO was renamed SRT (Street and Racing Technology) in 2004, the 300C SRT8 rumors began to surface, and the SRT-10 Ram made it’s debut. An exciting time to be an enthusiast - a second golden age of horsepower was upon us. Unfortunately, no one from Honda or Toyota got the memo, as the SRT-4 continued to sit on the top. Oh for sure, the Evo8 and STi have more go fast for more cash... but they're at the $30k mark. A stock SRT-4 proved to be annoying to STi and Evo8 owners as they could just not get them out of their rearview mirrors.

For 2005 blue was replaced with orange, and then mid-year silver was replaced with white. With the 2005 ½ ACR, the SRT4 reaches a balance many have sought with aftermarket suspension packages – a balance of power, grip and handling. Where else can you find a production car with adjustable suspension, limited-slip differential, and 230hp on tap direct from the factory for under $25k US? That’s right kids – NO WHERE.

As the SRT-4 Generation 1 comes to a close, I also find myself thinking back to when I first stumbled across SRTForums in 2003;

- anxious owners wondering what the hell “D1” status was
- members taking photos of SRT-4s being off-loaded at holding yards
- SOT and G/F thread #1
- the original war stories crew… before they were the war stories crew
- everyone getting excited at Mopar actually becoming “officially” involved with the forums… and the disappointment when they had to back out
- silverbullet’s horrible bad luck with his multiple accidents
- HybridKid, and the outpouring of support and shock
- myfaults’ and hemidakota’s battle for most posts
- ban stick day… I missed it… but man was it fun to read up on
- just before the first SRT-4s were shipped, the anxiety level on the forums was so thick… and us Canadians had to sit back and watch from the sidelines.

I got a lot of info and knowledge from these forums, and even today… after you wade through the BS of course… it’s still the #1 source for anything SRT related. Some of the seasoned veterans don’t post as much anymore, and the amount of crap is overwhelming at times. But search is still > newbies.

I have made many new friends and acquaintances because of the SRT-4; indeed one of my closest friends I first met because he was driving his new 2004 SRT-4.

So tip your glasses to the car that is not the fastest, not “the BesT3ST EVaR!!!”, but simply the best car I have ever, and will ever own. Thanks PVO.

Dodge SRT-4
2003-2005
Loved by those that knew them.
Hated by those who couldn’t catch up.

See less See more
#152 ·
Hell NO F+Ck that!!! to all of my dreamers that have been following the srt-4 since day one and couldn't afford one its not over. for those of you that have been working hard, dedicated, since the srt-4 was first announced and still working hard to this day to get one it is not over! you will have that car wether it means you have to buy a used one that some *** owned and didn't appreciate! we know we will appreciate that srt-4 more than 90% of the people who own one or who owned one. dont ever give up on the srt-4 it will live forever! It is eternal!!!

Long live the SRT-4!!!

wrrrrrrrrrawwwww!!!

#154 ·
Dr. Who said:
There are still plenty of SRT-4's still being built.. There are many non-ACR's in the system today as a matter of fact.

After the plant builds out (date TBD) it will take some time for the cars to filter out to the dealers and for the stock to move off the lots.. I'm sure you'll be able to find new SRT-4's until November - maybe longer.

Getting an ACR is another story - now that the word is out and it's gotten some magazine coverage, it will be difficult to get your mitts on one of the 1164 ACR's built.

-Doc
Well about 3 weeks ago I talked to the fleet manager of a local dealer because I wanted to order one. He said they've stopped taking orders for news ones a while ago, and the only ones that are left are the ones "in the pipelines." So finding my exact one is taking a bit longer than it needed to. I could have bought a ACR becuase that's most of the ones around, I almost had exactly what I wanted but when they called over to another dealer, it was sold.

#155 ·
HaloBreaker said:
Well about 3 weeks ago I talked to the fleet manager of a local dealer because I wanted to order one. He said they've stopped taking orders for news ones a while ago, and the only ones that are left are the ones "in the pipelines." So finding my exact one is taking a bit longer than it needed to. I could have bought a ACR becuase that's most of the ones around, I almost had exactly what I wanted but when they called over to another dealer, it was sold.
Yeah.. CUSTOMER orders closed around the 1st of August..... The remaining builds (until they stop production) are fulfilling zone and customer orders placed before August 1st.

Good Luck Hunting... You should find a good dealer that will do a national search for what you want... It's easier than ever now for them to do this.

-Doc

#158 ·
Getting an ACR is another story - now that the word is out and it's gotten some magazine coverage, it will be difficult to get your mitts on one of the 1164 ACR's built.

Doc
Maybe I missed something before, how do we know that there were 1164 ACR's built? Where did this information come from, and were the number of ACR's made broke down into color as well?

#159 ·
darkside said:

Doc
Maybe I missed something before, how do we know that there were 1164 ACR's built? Where did this information come from, and were the number of ACR's made broke down into color as well?
<Doc waves hand palm-doan at Darkside> There were 1164 SRT-4 ACR's built.

<darkside> Oh, I see... So 1164 SRT-4 ACR's were built ?

Yes... No break down - yet....

#160 ·
Who, break it all down by year and color. :rofl:
And funny, but I'm not seeing that many SRT-4s over here. Oh wait...nevermind.
And there was ONE exemption to the 5-Star Dealer rule and the training when they first came out:
OverSeas Military Car sales (OSMC) were getting them in early '03. They didn't "take off" until '04...I think most of that was due to word-of-mouth over here.
You think taking your car to dealer that might now know the SRT-4, try taking it to a dealer that for damn sure didn't know the SRT-4 and didn't speak English either.
We got lucky in Manni-T though. He's a DCx tech AND a big Neon enthusiast.
And SRT_USAF's "adventures" on the Nurburgring....
Funny, but the two notorious ones over here that had some of the first SRT-4s in Germany have moved on to an S2000 and a Volvo.

#161 · (Edited)
iball said:
Who, break it all down by year and color.
Well, since I can't post actual volume #'s, I'll post the options based on percentage of total volume.... heh

2003 SRT-4
Color % w/CGS
PYH 32.4% 0.2%
PX8 25.5% 0.3%
PR4 22.7% 0.1%
PS2 19.4% 0.1%
0.8%

2004 SRT-4
Color % w/GWA w/ARL w/CGS
PYH 1.1% 0.1% 0.0% 0.0%
PB5 25.6% 17.0% 5.9% 4.5%
PS2 22.0% 14.0% 5.3% 4.1%
PX8 28.8% 19.6% 7.0% 5.6%
PR4 22.5% 15.3% 4.7% 4.6%
66% 23% 19%

In case ya'll were born yesterday, GWA=Sunroof, ARL=Kicker Audio, and CGS=Side Airbags...

2005 isn't technically over yet, so I won't bother posting those %'s

#163 ·
iball said:
Schwarze uber alles!
Black > All
Black pwns joo!
:rofl:
only in 2004/2005 heh

#165 ·
HaloBreaker said:
Thats coming from a salesman, salesmen dont know shit about these cars they are all morons, he just wanted you to buy one that same day.

#170 ·
Already been, already spit on the mock-up Caliber they had there.
Might go back and see if I can flip the damn thing over and haul-ass outta there before the cops show up.
I'm reserving a "special kind of hate" towards the Caliber.
DCx, the Pontiac Vibe was a failure. May the Caliber share the same fate.
Just because Porsche can get away with the Cayenne doesn't mean DCx will get away with a rebadged Vibe.

#174 ·
boooo

my salesman was awesome,but i know him cuz i bought a car at the dealership before... :rofl: ..its so sad to see the neon go.. :crying: .its such a nice lil car and the caliber is so stupid looking haha can any1 say aerodynamic drag at high speeds on the calibers body?lol

#176 ·
jaymzx said:
This guy is thrilled the Neon is dead..

..and likes the Caliber..

http://www.star.niu.edu/articles/?id=11522
THis kid doesn't know shit. He was in FOURTH GRADE when the first Neon came out. Hell, my roommate in the Army bought one of the first ones in El Paso!
He's a clueless, n00b, punk kid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.