Dodge SRT Forum banner

Check engine code

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  System_Crash 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm throwing a code for the o2 sensor... but that's because I have a 3" catless system!
It's now time to get the car inspected (with OBD II emissions) and I want to leave the exhaust the way it is..
Would it be possible to buy a wideband o2 and a Diablo Trinity to retune it and get the light to go out and pass emissions??

#3 ·
What is an OBD II "check"? In Berks County, Pennsylvania we don't have a sniffer up the tailpipe, but we do get a computer that plugs into the port.. does this mean that I don't need a wideband and a Trinity? What if I still want them anyways, would they be pointless to spend the money on if I find a "Tuner" (whatever that means?)? Am I supposed to download something online and plug it into my car or am I supposed to take out my computer and mail it to someone who I don't know and hope that I get back what I wanted (not being able to know the difference anyways...) or is a tuner going to put a tune on a "chip" that I have to plug in and sell it to me thru the mail? How does that work?
Can anyone recommend an awesome tuner on here?
What does a "tuner" charge for, say work?

#4 ·
The short answer is that you cannot tune your own car by just buying a device unless you know how to tune cars. By your response, I can tell that you have a little to learn about tuning cars. That is fine, that is what this forum is for. We all started out that way, no problemo. There is a whole section on here about tuning. In there you will find all the information you asked above plus you will meet up with competent tuners.

Long answer: OBDII check is when the emissions dude plugs into your OBDII port and reads the codes. If your computer says it's ready and there are no codes, you pass emissions. It sounds like that is what they do in your state. A competent tuner can make it so that your car will pass emissions with or without a cat in most states. Ask your tuner, he will know if it is possible in your state.

On to tuning. You can go to a shop and get a dyno tune if you have an SCT or diablosport tuning device and they know how to tune with those or they have HPtuners and know how to do that. Expect to pay around 500 or so for a dyno tune. Most of us just buy a diablo device (intune, trinity, or Predator) and pay someone on the interwebz to send us tunes. When you get the tune, diablo device is plugged into your OBDII port and you load the tune into your car's PCM following the instructions on the screen. You will then follow your tuners instructions to start and how drive the car. You will then need to follow your tuner's instructions to log data with your diablo device. You can then send the data logs to your tuner who will change things in your tune based on what he saw in your data logs and give you another tune and repeat this procedure until you get it right. This is how many of the srt-4 guys tune their cars since local tuners are hard to find.

I've used Duster360 (Dave Trohan) on here as have many of us. He uses diablo products and knows what to do.

#5 ·
I finally got my DS Trinity. I'm still trying to find the time to play with it (the SRT isn't my DD). I don't think I noticed much of a difference AT ALL on the 93 tune... so for $500 right out of the box, Im kind of dissappointed... I sure hope a better or more custom tune will wake my car up!
The problem Im having now is getting my "original backup" to save and load on the computer so I can attatch it to the forum I need to fill out on NeedLessToque.com
For some reason, my laptop won't support DS so I have to go over to my parents house and use my moms computer and I don't really know what Im doing to begin with... this is turning into a pain in the ass. All I want to do is get my car inspected and drive it (it's been over 2 years since I've been able to enjoy the car without being harrassed by the cops for a stupid stick on my window)! It's been "parked" for like 15 months now..... its driving me crazy not being able to do anything with it!
I need to call someone one of these days when I have time to work on the car in nice weather

#6 ·
Also, I can't find an "S" shaped hose to go from the intake tube to the valve cover... As far as I have seen in other pictures, this should be a "STRAIGHT" vaccum hose..... however, mine is definitely not!!
Can I just plug the hole and put a breather on the valve cover? I'm getting a tone of oil in the intake manifold... I got a universal catch can but haven't had the time to put it on yet.

#10 ·
There is never any positive pressure in the intake to the turbo, only ambient during idle and cruise and suction during boost. Attaching the line from the valve cover to here allows fresh air in the valve cover area during idle and cruise and a vent for the crankcase pressure during boost. The PCV connection takes care of crankcase pressure at idle and cruise.

#11 · (Edited)
What should he do with the black line that is currently installed? I think it's the secondary purge solenoid line? Alternatively last time I was in autozone, they had an big selection of pcv hoses in all kinds of shapes, Even if you can't find one with a "Z" pattern, you could just get a long enough section to make a "Loop" May not look great but it would function just fine.

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure I downloaded the current DSDL (could be wrong though). I was able to upload the "original_Backup".... with conformation on the computer, but yet when I try to search for it I cant find it and when I try to upload it on NeedLessTqorque, it's nowhere to to be found!
Where could this file going??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.