car bogs after start up? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum
 
 


Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Technical Tuning & EFI/EMS Electronics

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
srt4neon7700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Member Number: 91197
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 78
Default car bogs after start up?

my car seems to bog and almost lag a little when i first start it up. when its cold or warmed up it doesnt matter.
almost seems like its running rich a little rich... but i have no idea.

checked the spark plugs and they were great.
tuned for summer if that affects anything i dont know.

its always when i start it up though and then goes away after 60-90 seconds of driving.
srt4neon7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
User Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member Number: 35677
Location: California
Posts: 1,844
Default Where do you come up with this stuff?

YOu post up that you have bent valves from a timing belt mishap - now complain about an uneven idle at cold start up. Do you know the valves (which shouldn't be bent) are controlling the fuel and air exiting and entering the engine.
You state running rich - is black smoke coming out the exhaust or do you smell gasoling inside the car?

If you live in Wisconsin you know a completely cold car will need a moment or two for the oil to start flowing and warm up just slightly.
ValleyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
srt4neon7700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Member Number: 91197
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 78
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
YOu post up that you have bent valves from a timing belt mishap - now complain about an uneven idle at cold start up. Do you know the valves (which shouldn't be bent) are controlling the fuel and air exiting and entering the engine.
You state running rich - is black smoke coming out the exhaust or do you smell gasoling inside the car?

If you live in Wisconsin you know a completely cold car will need a moment or two for the oil to start flowing and warm up just slightly.


well its not consistent... like today i started it up and drove it a few times and it drove great and did not have this problem....

then one day it MIGHT do this and bogg down for a little bit.
today was warm and so was yesturday (no problems) but i dont think that would really affect it because it does it when the engine is warmed up even after starting it.

lets just say its not the valves, what is your next guess it could be?
srt4neon7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
User Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member Number: 35677
Location: California
Posts: 1,844
Default Even a few degrees matters

Even a few degrees outside can bring the metal temps and liquid viscosity down to where it takes a few minutes for the oil to flow, have adequate pressure, and get more liquid and the metal parts loosen up, just slightly, as the metal warms up.
There is just some cold weather driveability that is not entirely avoidable.

Let the silly thing warm up for 60 seconds before driving. It's just the reality of fuel, cold metal, oil viscosity, piston pressure, mechanical parts and cold air and the engine sensors.
ValleyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
ziggo0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Member Number: 63759
Location: La Porte
Posts: 2,034
Default

I had to let my Talon TSI (4g63) idle for a good 2 ~ 4 minutes in the winter from a dead cold start, ran 20w50 in it...it did not want to move at all until it warmed up a little, oil pressure at idle was sky high.

I'm running 5w40 right now, temps are in the 30s ~ 40s and it takes my car about a minute to feel better...can't give it much gas but by the time i can go 35+mph its warmed up enough to be ok.
__________________
Stone White 05 - Stock Bottom End - HX35 7 Blade - BEP .70 AR Back Half - 93oct - tons of supporting mods
ziggo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
srt4neon7700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Member Number: 91197
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 78
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by ziggo0 View Post
I had to let my Talon TSI (4g63) idle for a good 2 ~ 4 minutes in the winter from a dead cold start, ran 20w50 in it...it did not want to move at all until it warmed up a little, oil pressure at idle was sky high.

I'm running 5w40 right now, temps are in the 30s ~ 40s and it takes my car about a minute to feel better...can't give it much gas but by the time i can go 35+mph its warmed up enough to be ok.

hmm ill take this into account as it seems it just needs to be warmed up but it just throws me off when i start it up when the engine is warmed up and it still does this. (not every time just every once in a while)
srt4neon7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
User Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member Number: 35677
Location: California
Posts: 1,844
Default fuel variances, oil temps, outside air etc

Quote: Originally Posted by srt4neon7700 View Post
hmm ill take this into account as it seems it just needs to be warmed up but it just throws me off when i start it up when the engine is warmed up and it still does this. (not every time just every once in a while)

YOu do understand that the fuel available in any given area, and therefore the liquid solution of gas in your tank, is not 100% consistent in octane and additives. IE - your car will start and run slightly different from time to time

At any given time with your oil level and the condition of your oil, and the outside air temps etc etc, air filter condition, engine sensor, battery voltage etc etc - you'll have minor variances in the cold start activity with your car.

Sometimes around here, in the summer, when it's 105 outside, my TEMP guage goes up to "normal" by the time I drive ONE BLOCK. The oil is already fluid and warm. Then even in cooler temps, I wait about 60 seconds until I feel no lumpy idle before leaving the garage.
ValleyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
 
srt4neon7700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Member Number: 91197
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 78
Default

my car is starting to do this again... bogs after start up but goes away and runs great after a couple minutes of driving.

now the temperatures are getting warmer outside so not sure if the ECU is tuned for winter or what but one thing i do know is i have a exhaust leak that i had since i got the car but now its even worse. its leaking pretty bad acually.
could this cause a bad stumble on start up while driving? it always idles fine even when cold.

O2 sensor not getting the right amount of air with the combination of it getting warmer outside?
srt4neon7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 AM.



(C) SRTforums.com

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2