HOW-TO: Seat Harness Slots - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HOW-TO: Seat Harness Slots

First to make things easy I found someone that could get me some of the Viper harness slot plastic pieces.

After taking a week to get up the courage I started by removing the seat back from the car for easy access. To do this first reach up under the back of the seats where the zippers disappear. You'll find the ends of the zippers and pull it out and unzip both. Next there is a full length plastic strip along the bottom of the back. Unhook these. Next to give myself some room to get at the inside bolts I removed the center console. There are 2 13mm bolts on each side of the seat back remove these and the back comes right out. Take it inside to warm up.

Next I removed the entire seat cover except for one section that stayed connected to the foam by a bar I couldn't remove. There are two bars that run up both sides to hold the fabric tight on the inside of the bolsters. There is a hog clip at the bottom which I removed and then the bars slide out. Next I started to cut the foam on the backside to match the platic harness slot only smaller so it would fit tight. Then flipped the seat over and did the same for the foam on the front. Once the foam was cut I test fit the plastic harness slot through the foam and pulled the seat cover over the top of the plastic pieces to check their locations. Once I was satisfied with that I used a pair of Pinking Shears (scissors with a zig zag edge which help prevent ripping fabric) to cut the slots in the fabric just to the inside edge of the plastic pieces.

Then I removed the seat cover again and reinforced the ends of the cut areas with fabric tape and by sewing the ends with heavy duty carpet thread. Then I attached strips of velcro to the flaps created by cutting the slits in the fabric so I could attach the front flaps to the back flaps and adjust them as necessary. Then I put the entire seat cover back together with the plastic pieces removed. Unfortunately while testing the fit of the plastic pieces I pushed them together to hard and they snapped together. So I didn't get a pic of the velcro straps but hopefully you get the idea I don't feel like ripping it back apart again

So heres how it turned out. The back pulls a little over the metal crossmember but I want to see if it strecthes any before I release some pressure with the velcro strap.

Then you just reverse the process to get the seat back reinstalled in the car. Let me know if I can make this any clearer. Thanks.

I'm going to wait for a while to do the other one to see if anything bad happens. Like stretching or tears whatever. Then if all is good I'll do the other side. If not the seat backs are identical so they can be swapped. Good Luck
Here are the other pics of the second seat. with closeups of the velcro straps.

Greg Delp

Last edited by gdflys; 12-11-2003 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:12 PM
SRTforums Member

that looks great. Two thumbs and my toes up
post #3 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:22 PM
SRTforums Member

VERY NICE!!!!

Now you just need to post pics with the racing harness installed.

-Mobotix

2004 Electric Blue SRT4 Stage II Will be forever missed

Bye bye SRT-4 hello Jeep JK Sahara
post #4 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:29 PM
SRTforums Member

are you gonna do the passenger side? can you take more pics when you do? like of the velcro, and how you sewed it back together?

that looks so bad ass! i want to do this! i would be really, really hesitant on cutting though! it would take me a week to get the guts too! awesome job!

are you gonna put in a racing harness? how are you gonna support the back two straps? put a bar behind your seat? i dont know where tho [but i'm not looking at my car right now.

2 thumbs up from me!

also.. maybe you should tighten up the center part, so that not just the ends [in the back] are tight.

When I was your age, Pluto was a planet
post #5 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:33 PM
SRTforums Member

ARE THESE AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC?

("YOU'RE EITHER WITH US OR
BEHIND US!!" (PVO)
post #6 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

One took about three hours but I'm sure the next one would go faster. The actual slots are 3 1/2" wide so some nice 3" harnesses will fit great. I'm trying to figure out which way I'm going to attach them either to the rear seat belt points, a harness bar, or go all out and cage it. Now I have a nice patern for Katzkin if I ever do the leather.

Greg Delp
post #7 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Oh and the color is almost a perfect match I couldn't believe how lucky that was. It looks dark in the pics but it's very close to the other plastic in the car. I'll take some more pics when I do the passenger side. Hopefully I don't click the parts together again.

Greg Delp
post #8 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by importasskicker
ARE THESE AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC?
Not really but you may be able to get some. Maybe if the PVO guys like it they can convince Dodge to let the parts go out for sale. BJ......TurboG?

Greg Delp
post #9 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Something like this maybe just without the LCD screens

Greg Delp
post #10 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 01:17 PM
SRTforums Member

GDFLYS,

When you had the top of the seat cover off how did it look? I want to get the headrest embroidered on mine with the SRT-4 logo and was told the seat would have to have the stitches cut to fit the machine. I didn't believe it so that's what I was asking about. are they able to come off all the way to enable for sewing????

Ken

Member of the
"Broward County Crew"
post #11 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 02:24 PM
SRTforums Member

HEY,WHATS THE PART# ON THOSE SLOTS

("YOU'RE EITHER WITH US OR
BEHIND US!!" (PVO)
post #12 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 02:48 PM
SRTforums Member

You are my new hero!

PS. Step aside Dale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole Smelly
Just for the record, the torque setting for the oil drain plug is 20 ft-lbs, not infinity.
someone is watching me
post #13 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 03:11 PM
SRTforums Member

the guy is around here somewhere. search for viper seats. about a month ago, iirc. i'll look.

post #14 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ILSRTnFL
GDFLYS,

When you had the top of the seat cover off how did it look? I want to get the headrest embroidered on mine with the SRT-4 logo and was told the seat would have to have the stitches cut to fit the machine. I didn't believe it so that's what I was asking about. are they able to come off all the way to enable for sewing????
There is one section about midway down the front that is hog ringed onto a bar embedded in the foam. That kept me from taking it all the way off. It could come off just too much work. If you were to embroider the head rest area it may be tight to get around the machine I don't know. Not because of the bar thing but just the head rest area is all one piece. and smal. I think it could be done. If you did it lower then it would be no problem.

Greg Delp
post #15 of 594 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 03:28 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gdflys
i really like that. looks like it would just bolt into where the seat belts attach, above an below.

would suck for anyone in the back if you were in a wreck. nice for shows/racing tho. it could be put in and pulled out quickly i would assume.

when you do the passenger side, can you take pics of the holes in the foam that you cut? and pics if the holes after they are all sewn up, off the seat, and on the seat? who did you get them from? how much? pm me?? thanks.

here is the original thread, by gdflys:
Seat Harness Slots

Last edited by dj-anakin; 12-01-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode