Where to get Medical Exemption Sticker for Tinted Windows - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Visual/Body Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 57164
Default Where to get Medical Exemption Sticker for Tinted Windows

I'll give the background of my story and what I'm looking for to help determine where I could find what I'm looking for.

Story: Pretty simple, got pulled over for having my front driver/passenger doors too dark (16%). Supposed to be at 35%. I can pay the fine and not receive any points and also don't have to remove it. Which I plan on doing this.

What I am wanting to do: Go take an eye exam to get a medical doctor's note saying that I need special tint. I've seen cars around town with stickers on the back of their cars that say it's legal basically. I know this isn't require in my state but I know it will help.

I've had my current car and previous car tinted at the same percentage for a total of 2 years now and finally got pulled over for it. With that being said, I know I can still get pulled over in the future and the right thing to do is get them re-tinted to 35%. So for those who are going to try and give me their "what's right and what's wrong" speech, I'll just ignore it. My question is pretty simple, assuming I pass the Medical Doctor's exam and get a note, who distributes the stickers for the back of your car?
STLracerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 20143

Way to abuse the system.
Zero46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Zero46 View Post
Way to abuse the system.

Or the system abuse me? I no longer call them "police officers". I now call them "Revenue Collectors".

But back on topic, I found out my answer, State Patrol will give me the sticker if I have a doctor's note.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
SRT of the Month
2011 Calendar Car

Member Number: 17636
Lifetime Premium Member

In RI its more than just a Doctor's note, there is quite a bit of paperwork, committees and meetings with a board specific to thes situations involved. These boards consist of medical doctors and experts in the field at hand. I'm sure every state is different, but heres how mine went.

I had to fill out the initial paperwork that I picked up at the Operator Control office portion of the DMV. My doctor filled out the basic questions on my conditions. They reviewed it, approved it, and sent him a huge questionaire with questions specific towards my condition (because I actually DO have one) and what his thoughts were. After he finished that paperwork and sent it in they reviewed it, approved it again, and asked for medical records. That is where I am at now.

Once I send them all of the medical records, they have the right to approve or deny me based on those facts. I was born with these conditions, and a surgery messed up my left eye even more, so I have legitimate reasoning. Im waiting for their approval to tint the front three windows and have the sticker placed on the car (which is never put in your possession here in RI the tint shop has it).

Thats how it works here. You are also allowed to have a tint exemption if you are carrying medicine that is neccessary to be with you at all times, and is photosensitive or heat sensitive. Again that is RI, MO could be way different.
LilSparkPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 31675

when you see a police officer, roll your windows down

Always works for me!
JayUtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 41979

Quote: Originally Posted by JayUtz View Post

Always works for me!

yep same here or keep them down everytime you drive it
Old 12-07-2007, 02:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 30264

i usually ride with the fronts down anyway

but damn i never knew such a thing was around for those with medical conditions. its kinda cool. sucks yet its a great idea and a good thing that you have to go through all that paper work. are they going to send you to a specific tint shop?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 47369

Always works for me!

Quote: Originally Posted by m00m00w4t3r View Post
yep same here or keep them down everytime you drive it

haha, thats the samething i do, but sometimes my unsuspectin passenger (tool) rolls it back up.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
SRT of the Month
2011 Calendar Car

Member Number: 17636
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by beyondspexj View Post
i usually ride with the fronts down anyway

but damn i never knew such a thing was around for those with medical conditions. its kinda cool. sucks yet its a great idea and a good thing that you have to go through all that paper work. are they going to send you to a specific tint shop?

That I'm not sure of. I asked that question to the Capitol Officer who helped me with my case at first and he didn't have a definitive answer for me. I do know that you aren't supposed to have the sticker so I'm assuming you would tell them where you are taking it. All the expenses are at your cost obviously, but it will be a godsend when its all done.

The paperwork is something they have to do, if they handed them out like candy everyone who didnt need one would have one, using it to conceal things they aren't supposed to have, etc.
LilSparkPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Always works for me!

I did. He was in the oncoming lane. Did a 180 and pulled me over. had my license, insurance, car shut off, seat belt on, and window completely down, before he even stepped out of his car.

Quote: Originally Posted by LilSparkPlug View Post
In RI its more than just a Doctor's note, there is quite a bit of paperwork, committees and meetings with a board specific to thes situations involved. These boards consist of medical doctors and experts in the field at hand. I'm sure every state is different, but heres how mine went.

I had to fill out the initial paperwork that I picked up at the Operator Control office portion of the DMV. My doctor filled out the basic questions on my conditions. They reviewed it, approved it, and sent him a huge questionaire with questions specific towards my condition (because I actually DO have one) and what his thoughts were. After he finished that paperwork and sent it in they reviewed it, approved it again, and asked for medical records. That is where I am at now.

Once I send them all of the medical records, they have the right to approve or deny me based on those facts. I was born with these conditions, and a surgery messed up my left eye even more, so I have legitimate reasoning. Im waiting for their approval to tint the front three windows and have the sticker placed on the car (which is never put in your possession here in RI the tint shop has it).

Thats how it works here. You are also allowed to have a tint exemption if you are carrying medicine that is neccessary to be with you at all times, and is photosensitive or heat sensitive. Again that is RI, MO could be way different.

Well from what I've heard, I go to the doctor, get a note, then take it to the state patrol and they either aprove or deny. Stickers aren't required.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 44393

Dude...pay the fine and realize your tint is to fucking dark, you don't need to be a piece of shit and work the system because you're a cheapskate and don't want to redo your tint. You are the exact type of person that would call the cops and request them for a simple complaint, and then call again two minutes later and ask where the hell they were. You are the type that makes cops complete dicks...if I were the PD..I'd would have made you remove it before I let you leave.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 7614

Why not just go with 35%.... I had it and have it on my current ride and it looks great and people can just barely make out a silhouette in the car. Doooo iittttttt......
Old 12-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 26914

I have 20% tint and an exemption. In Ohio they told me to just carry my medical excuse with me. And my sheriff bud said when I get my license renewed, to show them it and they'll add it to my license so it'll come up when they call up my plates.
I have schwannomatosis.Tumors on my brachial nerve in my neck and down right arm. Heat is killer on me. So my pain management doctor wrote me a script. Had my truck done too. It won't kill me and it's rare. So I'm glad to be alive and kickin. But pain is my life.
3147, AEM EMS, 750's, DCR oil kt, Oil mod, DCR TB, SBC 5x , MD 72%, MAXF 3" See /res, AGP w/HKS, LC-1 WB, Raptor Shft Lt, Agp RTL w/pump. SBeast ic , AGP solids , Injen SRI. 30lb gg , billet sel, F&F P&P intake,WOT box. Stage 1 springs. 20% tint. KTP Sport alloys. Aaron tuned. Rick built.
388 hp and 420 tq @ 24 lbs w/ 94 w/6700 redline
11.95 @ 119.7.. 1.88 60'= pump gas & slicks SOLD
mad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 36222

Seems like a lot to do just to get a medical excuse. I say just keep it on and don't worry about it if you like it. Did you get pulled over only for the tint, or for speeding as well?

I heard that they can't make you roll up the windows if they're already down, is there any truth to this? Good thing I live in Florida and the cops could care less about tint.
apk2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
2011 Calendar Car

Member Number: 33071

Both of you guys that have this condition that requires the tint..... Do you wear glasses? Do you not have a perscription for sunglasses or transistions? This is very interesting to read about as I've had many eye problems.... strabismus and nystagmus to name a few.... and I have huge photosensitivity problems. Just wondering if this is something I could look into down the road.
marakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement