Dodge SRT Forum banner

Pinch weld coating?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Shadow 
#1 ·
Ok, so my SRT-4 sat on the side of a asphalt road for about a year before i bought it from its abusing owner. Where it sat for so long and didn't move and wasnt drove or anything, the pinch welds have very light surface rust and it caused the paint to flake some in that area.

Voice your opinion on this: Taking a fine metal wire wheel in a air drill and sanding off the rust, removing the side skirts, spraying the rocker/pinch welds with undercoat and putting the side skirts back on. I work on cars and change 15+ cars oil a day in a pit and i inspect other car designs alot. I see alot of foreign cars having their rockers rubber coated to prevent rust in that area which is how I got this idea.

Voice your opinion, or give me another way to fix this before i drive it and it gets worse. would just having it sanded and resprayed be better?

#2 ·
Sounds reasonable. I'd just make sure to get as much of the rust off as possible and possibly use an etching, rust kill primer high in zinc and put a conventional coat of paint on first prior to using a rubberized undercoat. If you just went with an undercoat product only if it started to peal down the road it might trap some moisture between it and the body where the primer and paint might provide some extra protection.

#3 ·
well, ill only be wire wheeling just the pinchweld. The rocker doesnt show any sign of rust, maybe one or two tiny paint discolored spot but other than that theres none. so, i might just wheel the pinch weld, spray it with some primer like you said, and then rubber undercoat the whole rocker/pinch weld area since there will still be paint on the rocker. I'm really picky and i care about the underneath of my car as much as I do the exterior.

Thanks for input.

#4 ·
I will be changing my oil at work some time today, when I can get time to throw my car on a rack I will take some pictures of my undercarriage.

I didn't have but a few very small spots of surface rust in random areas. I took most of it off with an abrasive wheel, and then used an etching rust-stopper flat black spray paint and sprayed the entire underside of the car. I felt this was the best way to handle the situation having talked to a few neighbors who restore old cars and spend weeks stripping off old undercoat. I followed their recommendations with the spray-paint.

I only re-applied undercoat to the wheel-wells, as it was more practical for the application.

It came out perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.