Dodge SRT Forum banner

Official Tint Law (PDF)

55K views 89 replies 72 participants last post by  Scottylson 
#1 · (Edited)
#53 ·
yea

I talked to a cop around here and he said that most cops dont care if you have limo all the way around i have 5%. Just as long as you roll down the front windows when you get pulled over the cop wont give you hell about the tint.

#55 ·
Got pulled over yesterday. Had my window all the way down when the cop came up and told me to raise up the window so that he could check the tint. His gauge showed 19% and he said the law is 25%. I told him the safety inspectors say 20%, but most give a 1 or 2 difference. Mine has passed the safety inspection without any issues and they checked it at 19%. You go the the DPS site for inspections and it says 20%, but you check the DPS law and it says 25%. So it's OK for the safety inspectors to pass at 20% (-1 or -2) and then the cops give you a ticket for for under 25%. Damn Assholes.

#60 ·
n.y

i was pulled two in a row by different cops and both went straight for my windows with their little window device. i was given tickets and told that here in n.y. , the factory tint is 25% and the legal requirement is 30, which i was way over. i had 25% tint,but that is on top of factory. that means you can only put 5% over factory. i think they were just busting my chops.

#61 ·
Hmm...anybody from CO know about the law here? There are 2 entries in the PDF for CO. One says no to the fronts and ANY on back and back sides, the other says 27 all the way around....It's bad enough I haven't fixed the tint on my drivers side yet, I don't want to have to rip it off the pass. side too...that would suck. Arm gets fried when it's sunny :(

EDIT: wait..it says no side mirrors are required on the line that says NO in front, but both mirrors are req'd on the next line that allows 27 up front. Maybe you just have to have mirrors if you have 27. That would rule.

#63 ·
Just so everyone in PA knows, the law doesn't say 70%. There is no number specified. The officer has to be able to see in the windows, but it doesn't say from where. So if he can see in the windows from 1 inch away, you should be able to fight it and win. I have the book of vehicle codes, so if anyone has a questions, PM me.

Just to clarify, I did get pulled over for tint and I got a ticket for it. I asked my father (a cop) what he thought and he said that he understands the law to mean you can't have anything on the front 3 windows and you can have anything on the rear 3 windows.

#68 ·
My car was broken into a couple years back in West Philly. The cop who wrote the report told me it was a good idea to get it tinted so it was tough to see anything inside, and that it was a great theft deterrent. It pretty much makes a thief move on to the next car that's not tinted.

Get a cop to write a recommendation for you based on theft risk and you should be able to fight any tickets successfully. Then just keep the paperwork in your glovebox. Anyone who gives you shit after that is just a dick, and if you fight it in traffic court and win they can't fuck with you again.

#81 ·
In utfront has to be 30 in front and back can be as dark as you want. I run 10 on front and 5 back and I got pulled over a few times. They let it slide cuz I said my mom lives in st george and my old car had the dash warp since it was so hot and they let the fine go

Sent from my SGH-T959 using AutoGuide App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.