Dodge SRT Forum banner

Official Tint Law (PDF)

55K views 89 replies 72 participants last post by  Scottylson 
#1 · (Edited)
#16 ·
suzq044 said:
maybe u can't have more than the top 4" on the sides as well as the front? which in theory looks stupid IMO .. lol
from what i have seen in MI, is you can only tint the top 4" of the windshield and the front side windows, looks very :gay: IMO, but to each their own. I have been up there several times, i have never had a problem, maybe its the out of state plates, they probably figure i'm just a dumb hick that can't read, much less figure out complicated laws :lol: forgot to mention, i have 5% on all windows and a 7" eyebrow on top and a 6" piece at the bottom of the windshield. To help darken the interior. You can barely see my steering wheel

#17 ·
I know for PA case you can get a waiver form for inspections.

#19 ·
Locutus said:
So for Michigan it said 4" on the front glass. Does that mean 4" of untinted or tinted glass is allowed?
Bah I hate Michigans tint laws. The law is 4" from the top only can be tinted on the front sides at any visibility. They lower half can not have any tint on it.
I see people driving around with the sides tinted all of the time. State troopers are the biggest dicks about it. I've heard stories of people being forced to peel it off right in the street. But I'm sure the officer was breaking some laws in doing that. I'm also sure the people who had the windows tinted were being jerks about it too so what comes around goes around. I'm getting my front sides tinted. Light. I just gotta not pull up next to any police.

#24 ·
And since no one mentioned it and I did a little research on it, I thought I'd explain what that "AS1" means in regards to the windshield. The AS1 is a mark that is put on by the glass manufacturer that states "AS1" or "AS-1" and usually has an arrow facing downwards (which means that glass in direction of the arrow complies with the 70% light transmission requirement). This mark is the limit of how far down the factory tint goes. Not all cars will have an AS1 mark/line on them if the manufacturer determines that because of the seating position any tint would inhibit the drivers view (such as low slung sports cars with short windshield height, etc.)

FVMSS codes
AS1 = for use anywhere in the vehicle
AS2 = for use anywhere in the vehicle other than windscreen
AS3 = for rear and rear side windows only
AS4 and AS5 = plastic glazing not suitable for driver’s vision

AS-1 = Laminated safety glass marked AS-1 is required in windshields and is acceptable anywhere in the vehicle.
AS-14 = Laminated Safety glass marked AS-14 is required in windshields and is acceptable anywhere in the vehicle.
AS-2 = Laminated or tempered safety glass marked AS-2 is acceptable for use anywhere in the vehicle except the windshield.
AS-3 = Laminated or tempered safety glass marked AS-3 is acceptable anywhere on school buses except in windshields and side windows to the immediate right or left of the driver's location.
AS-4 and AS-5 = Rigid plastic safety glazing material marked AS-4 and AS-5 is acceptable anywhere on school buses except windshields and side windows to the immediate right or left of the driver's location.
AS-6 and AS-7 = Flexible plastic safety glazing material marked AS-6 and AS-7 is acceptable for use in rear windows of soft tops, flexible curtains, or readily removable windows.
AS-8 and AS-9 = Wire glass marked AS-8 and AS-9 is acceptable for use in folding doors, standee and rearmost windows in buses or windows to the rear of the driver in trucks and truck tractors.

#25 ·
ya...

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't touch the tint on my windows IF and WHEN I get my EB SRT-4. I want people to be able to see whose behind the wheel. I almost had my 04 Black SXT tinted down, but in Ohio, as the chart shows, we can oly drop down to 50% tint, thats NOTHING, it's almost a waste of money. I guess having lack of tint gives the car depth to me because you're able to see more. But in Ohio we're lucky to see the sun maybe 6 months of the year so we really are in no need of deep tint. Ohio is one of the most cloudy states in the US about 80% of the year. :eeeek:

#26 ·
tint will help keep your interior from fading, even if its cloudy out, you still have the UV rays that cause the materials and plastics to fade, tint will slow that down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.