Dodge SRT Forum banner

Full car vinyl wrap

49K views 127 replies 37 participants last post by  HNDAKLR2012 
#1 ·
I am thinking of vinyl wrapping my srt. I know a few people have have done some wraps. I plan on doing mine at home and wanted to know if any one has done there at home to took there car some were to get wrapped. If they did it a home about how many square feet did you need to do the whole car?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
Autovinylsolutions.com I used 3m.
You'll need 50x5' but you may wanna order more for reassurance.
It took me 27 hours my first time, about 2 hours a panel when I first go in it. About 30 minutes by the time I was done.

Here's mine 9 months later before I garaged it for winter.

Good luck. Its a big fun project that bonded me with a car I haven't felt in years.

#4 ·
I bought the car to flip and sell, after more than 24 hours locked in a garage wrapping it vinyl I couldnt part with it. I just havent loved a car like it since i had my old bmw I used to drift in, had like 3 motors in that thing, knew every bolt.

The doors, fenders, roof, all easy, slap and done. the front bumper is actually 5 separate parts all seamed together, #1 because if somebody hit it i wanted to rip only a small bit off and redo it, and #2 because the contours on it are NUTS, the AVS rep said I should be able to do it in one shot, but I was not good enough to do it.
the rear bumper had blowout around the license plate, i should have invested in the 3m vinyl glue for that part.
around the taillights was difficult, had to redo one side, but it lays smooth.
the hood was easy, until i reached the scoop, it was 45 minutes spent on that 1x1' spot.

Overall the 3m is very forgiving of mistakes and a small shot of heat from the gun has it perfect again, very little "waste". if it was a show car i would redo some panels, but its just my race car.

#7 ·
Wow I already can't part with mine. I have put every bolt on my car. It's going to be nuts after I wrap it. lol

Can I see some photos of the front? My concern is I am looking at one of the 3m brushed metal. So I really think I will have to do it all in one go on the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
Me?

And Reao, this is my best front shot, I had just entered in a car show. But the portion of the bumper you can see is actually 3 pieces of vinyl out of 5. If you google around there's a vette forum how-to describing how to use painters tape and a razor to get it to be totally invisable,I can't even see it.

Dirtiest Rims 2012 baby.

#26 ·
Comparing the durability and long lasting properties of vinyl against plastidip is apples and oranges.
The day after I finished my vinyl my gf backed down the side of my car. You can't even tell, and my cars paint was perfectly protected. The only reason I knew she did it was my door wouldn't open because my fender was pushed into it.
3m last 4 years. Or 5 I can't remember.

#27 ·
Yea but you guys are comparing a professionally done vinyl wrap vs someone whos never done anything like it before in his garage , hell i know if I tried to do a vinyl wrap id end up going through 5 times as much vinyl trying to wrap the damn thing, not to mention the front bumper....

Yea it CAN look good, if done RIGHT

#31 ·
I'm not a professional, but mine looks perfect. In my garage. I used a hair dryer and a pack of razor blades.

Me and my brother plastidipped his civic orange. I mean its nice looking, and no skill is needed, at all. But my car looks like it was almost painted professionally, you can tell his is plastidip.

#32 ·
I did my door jambs, I didn't do underhood. But my car is black, so you can't really tell anyways if your not paying attention.
I wrapped a 3series that was red in matte green, THAT was noticable, so we had to wrap everything. But wrapping a car for 5-700 vs 3k for a halfway decent paint, the answer is clear for those with a budget who just want a cool looking car to people without a magnifying glass.

Srt4kta thank you!

#37 ·
I want to wrap my car too.. My only concern is, I have PERFECT paint.. and i do not want it to be damaged after i removed the wrap. I want to do matte white. My car is flame red... i have to many tickets. White is easier to keep clean. any links to one with matte white?

#38 ·
It looks awesome, like matte black on a gloss black car is fine. You really can't tell in the engine bay or door jambs.

White over Red, shit son you better pack a lunch, that's going to be a hell of a job. Unless you skimp on the jambs and engine bay, which at that point it's going to look hacked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.