Full car vinyl wrap - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 127 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Full car vinyl wrap

I am thinking of vinyl wrapping my srt. I know a few people have have done some wraps. I plan on doing mine at home and wanted to know if any one has done there at home to took there car some were to get wrapped. If they did it a home about how many square feet did you need to do the whole car?

| Hahn Racecraft 20G | E85 | Diablo Tuned By Performance2ning | 330hp 350tq on P2ning's mustang dyno |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM
SRTforums Member

Autovinylsolutions.com I used 3m.
You'll need 50x5' but you may wanna order more for reassurance.
It took me 27 hours my first time, about 2 hours a panel when I first go in it. About 30 minutes by the time I was done.

Here's mine 9 months later before I garaged it for winter.

Good luck. Its a big fun project that bonded me with a car I haven't felt in years.
post #3 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostingbackwards View Post
Autovinylsolutions.com I used 3m.
You'll need 50x5' but you may wanna order more for reassurance.
It took me 27 hours my first time, about 2 hours a panel when I first go in it. About 30 minutes by the time I was done.

Here's mine 9 months later before I garaged it for winter.

Good luck. Its a big fun project that bonded me with a car I haven't felt in years.
Thank you for the info. The car looks good. Did you have any spots that you had to redo 100% and waste the vinyl?

I bet it would be a bonding experience.

| Hahn Racecraft 20G | E85 | Diablo Tuned By Performance2ning | 330hp 350tq on P2ning's mustang dyno |
post #4 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 PM
SRTforums Member

I bought the car to flip and sell, after more than 24 hours locked in a garage wrapping it vinyl I couldnt part with it. I just havent loved a car like it since i had my old bmw I used to drift in, had like 3 motors in that thing, knew every bolt.

The doors, fenders, roof, all easy, slap and done. the front bumper is actually 5 separate parts all seamed together, #1 because if somebody hit it i wanted to rip only a small bit off and redo it, and #2 because the contours on it are NUTS, the AVS rep said I should be able to do it in one shot, but I was not good enough to do it.
the rear bumper had blowout around the license plate, i should have invested in the 3m vinyl glue for that part.
around the taillights was difficult, had to redo one side, but it lays smooth.
the hood was easy, until i reached the scoop, it was 45 minutes spent on that 1x1' spot.

Overall the 3m is very forgiving of mistakes and a small shot of heat from the gun has it perfect again, very little "waste". if it was a show car i would redo some panels, but its just my race car.
post #5 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM
SRTforums Member

i am doing this in matte green in the coming months, expected to be done by february. yours looks great!

Masshole
Instagram: elmashin
post #6 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaBroke View Post
i am doing this in matte green in the coming months, expected to be done by february. yours looks great!
one of my buddies has a blue srt4 and is wanting to do his matte green. curious to see it done.

2004 Pontiac GTO M6
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
post #7 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostingbackwards View Post
I bought the car to flip and sell, after more than 24 hours locked in a garage wrapping it vinyl I couldnt part with it. I just havent loved a car like it since i had my old bmw I used to drift in, had like 3 motors in that thing, knew every bolt.

The doors, fenders, roof, all easy, slap and done. the front bumper is actually 5 separate parts all seamed together, #1 because if somebody hit it i wanted to rip only a small bit off and redo it, and #2 because the contours on it are NUTS, the AVS rep said I should be able to do it in one shot, but I was not good enough to do it.
the rear bumper had blowout around the license plate, i should have invested in the 3m vinyl glue for that part.
around the taillights was difficult, had to redo one side, but it lays smooth.
the hood was easy, until i reached the scoop, it was 45 minutes spent on that 1x1' spot.

Overall the 3m is very forgiving of mistakes and a small shot of heat from the gun has it perfect again, very little "waste". if it was a show car i would redo some panels, but its just my race car.
Wow I already can't part with mine. I have put every bolt on my car. It's going to be nuts after I wrap it. lol

Can I see some photos of the front? My concern is I am looking at one of the 3m brushed metal. So I really think I will have to do it all in one go on the bumper.

post #8 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reao View Post
Wow I already can't part with mine. I have put every bolt on my car. It's going to be nuts after I wrap it. lol

Can I see some photos of the front? My concern is I am looking at one of the 3m brushed metal. So I really think I will have to do it all in one go on the bumper.

Oh god the brushed metal is soo cool. I wish it was released when I made my choice. Vinyls been taking off of late and colors are being released weekly almost. When I did it 3m had like 12 choices..

My cars disassembled right now, bumpers up in my rafters, ill have to see if I can find a good one on my computer
post #9 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Premium Member
SRT of the Month

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Premium Member
Dude I love that look!

PM Wonderer876 for all your clutch fork, porting, and powder coating needs. Purchase online at
WikydPerformance.com Like us on Facebook!

You're retarded if you don't contact Sir Nigel Alexander/Turbo666 for Diablo Sport/CMR tuning. BrutalFab.com
post #10 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm0n3y View Post
Dude I love that look!
Me?

And Reao, this is my best front shot, I had just entered in a car show. But the portion of the bumper you can see is actually 3 pieces of vinyl out of 5. If you google around there's a vette forum how-to describing how to use painters tape and a razor to get it to be totally invisable,I can't even see it.

Dirtiest Rims 2012 baby.
post #11 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Premium Member
SRT of the Month

Premium Member
Yeah you

PM Wonderer876 for all your clutch fork, porting, and powder coating needs. Purchase online at

You're retarded if you don't contact Sir Nigel Alexander/Turbo666 for Diablo Sport/CMR tuning. BrutalFab.com
post #12 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
SRTforums Member

I appreciate it more than you know, its a very controversial look, I get a lot of flack for it, so I always love hearing people like it. Hopefully when I get my new rims and finish my bay shave ill be able to score a COTM.
post #13 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Premium Member
SRT of the Month

Premium Member
Is the lower lip of the front bumber wrapped? still looks shiny in the pic

post #14 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm0n3y View Post
Is the lower lip of the front bumber wrapped? still looks shiny in the pic
Yeah, two reasons for that as well, 1, I thought it added a really nice accent with the lip still clearcoated, I wax it up and its great contrast. 2, I use to scrape everywhere when I was super low and didn't want the vinyl tearing and looking like shit.
post #15 of 127 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM
SRTforums Member

I love the matte black look too !

'04 NSRT-4
'03 SVT Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version