Dodge SRT Forum banner

CBD PVO trunk

15K views 54 replies 16 participants last post by  Chris@CTA Motorsports 
#1 ·
I tried several times to get a used PVO trunk but it didn't work. Screw it... got a new one from Modern! Everyone on here has to know Modern by now. These guys are awesome to deal with. Fast shipping and they pack their product well. On to my thoughts about the trunk.

I did NOT take any pictures of the PVO trunk when I got it. Lots of disappointments. Cracks... dullness... cf and fiberglass threads hanging off of it EVERYWHERE and the cf weave outta wack here and there. What I mean is it doesn't look even in some spots. Ugh.

BUT when I got it back from the body shop... two clear coats later HUGE difference. Cracks: gone. Dullness: gone. CF weave outta wack: less noticable.

I know... I'm being picky but the Seibon CF hood is just so darn near perfect it is hard not to be hard on the trunk. When I pulled it out of the box I just felt sick to my stomach. I almost got the Seibon trunk but I wanted the PVO molded trunk so bad I went for it. Even after reading about poor fitment and the like I took a chance. Still, all in all, I'm glad I did. Without the body shop doing what they did, however, I would be SUPER SUPER pissed.

I haven't installed it yet. I want to wait till I calm down and get the springs from Home Depot. Then follow those kinda crappy directions.

Here is a pic of what it looks like now after the body shop.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i got mine a couple weeks about and all the fiberglass hairs pissed me off as well.
Also the fact you need to drill the holes for the 3rd brake light and widen the bump stops.

I also drilled a big hole and ran the harness through the trunk like the oem

#8 ·
Yep, I just installed a Air Induction Hood and the PVO trunk. I had to drill out the holes for the trunk to get it snug.

I too delayed getting either of the products because of the quality concerns. I just liked the overall look of both pieces too much to resist. My intent was to go carbon fiber for weight reduction and then paint to match. A lot of people already like the look of the CF on my car but what a shame, the weave pattern is out of whack in some places...especially a big piece going right down the middle of the hood. Again, I'll get it painted so, oh well. The underside of both pieces are quite a mess with fiberglass strings hanging out from everywhere.

I did manage to get both the hood and trunk to fit near perfect after a lot of work. Even got rid of the fender gap everyone talks about on these hoods.

Pics to come soon.

#7 ·
I would never and I mean never, get another CBD product. Period. Folks around here have their expensive hood with the slots... and the fitment looks like crap. The Siebon hood I got is just amazing. Highly recommend them. I debated on getting their trunk but the PVO trunk is just so sexy. Now that a few days have past and the love affair is over, no, I wouldn't do it again. I would recommend a Siebon trunk. But the PVO still looks awesome. I'm not selling it. It's just that getting one without taking it to the body shop is like having a super model for a wife and waking up one morning to see her without her makeup...

#11 ·
The trunk is finally on. One hour to install it, drill it, etc. 10 HOURS to align it. It was shifted big time to the passanger side. Finally I had one kid pushing on one side, another kid pushing down and I laid in the trunk tightening everything up. Still not perfect, but sits pretty good.

Long and short advice from me is get Siebon unless you just gotta, and I mean, gotta, have that PVO molded trunk. I hate myself for loving it! I have never seen a Siebon trunk but my Siebon hood is just so close to perfection and I would think the trunk would be the same. I spent an hour or so putting it on and aligning it. I'm not sure if I am going to continue with this PVO molded trunk or not. I think it depends on if I can get it aligned better.

Attachments

#15 ·
Not to resurrect this , but yes cbd products are garbage. First one I got shipped was dinged up bad on the corners, sent it back. Next one has a wave in the weave of the cf which looks like a bug crawled around the top of the hood and it too has a crack on the outer edge by the back windshield.

Lots of fitment issues as well, trunk was jacked so far to the passengers side. I didn't drill anything but eventually took it to a body shop friend of mine and we just reefed on the whole trunk to bend the arms/hinges just enough so it would fit nicely. Eventually I'll be painting it so the chips and marks in the weave won't be an issue.

The finish on their hoods and the fit of the front hood is also atrocious. Yes, the hood fits nicer as it is a little bit longer than stock so this eliminated the large gap between bumper and OEM hood. That's about where the positive aspects of this hood end. Water is constantly sitting in the folds of the hood. Needed some small drainage holes drilled. Next, the hood latch was built into the hood crooked, it's not even close to parallel with the centerline of the hood. And the hood is not wide enough for the gar, there are some unsightly gaps between fenders and hood. I've made things look decent by readjusting the front fenders as well as the hood latch and so on.

The finish has decent gelcoat , but it is very very uneven, before painting this piece it's going to require some serious prep, sanding and filling.

I guess however nothing is perfect, and if you have to have that cbd moulded trunk you've only got one choice. Too bad really.

#55 ·
I have some history (some years ago) with CBD, and primarily because I exposed the poor quality of their later products. The early runs were decent, and to this day, I still have their OEM hood and a couple of smaller items, but other parts such as the forementioned trunks, fog light surrounds, etc, ended up being garbage. I tried two trunks, multiple fog light surrounds, c pillar covers, fuel door covers, etc. Due to constant fitment issues of later production parts, all unused and any non fitting parts, were sent back to CBD and that was the end of the business relationship with them.

For the water problem inside the hood frame, I drilled holes in the frame of the hood, in the locations similar to the stock hood drain holes. For the trunk, I took a bit of load of the trunk spring, by adding in a hasp between the spring and where the spring used to attach to the body.

I'm not surprised that nothing has really changed with their substandard quality, other than their prices going sky high. If you want a decent trunk, buy a Seibon trunk. That is what I finally settled on and have never turned back.

Siebon CF Trunk with C-Wings CF OEM wing, CBD CF exhaust surrounds

CBD CF hood and CF shorty eyelids, Kaminari front CF spoiler

As I mentioned above, the hood, eyelids, and exhaust surrounds, were from an era when CBD parts were actually of good quality.

#21 ·
Well I've always wanted the molded PVO so I didn't have many options. I did find someone else who makes a PVO trunk, but it doesn't have the shaved trunk lock and I'm unsure of their quality (I've seen a lot of their stuff on eBay)...

I'll probably bolt it up as is until winter when I have the downtime to give it the CE treatment like I did to my hood. Hopefully that will hide any flaws that might be in the weave.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#24 ·
That's what I keep hearing, but I'm hoping I win the lottery and get a unicorn. That's not too much to ask, is it? :)

Regardless, if it fits like shit I'll fix it as much as the trunk will allow and hope for the best. The edges will all end up being painted if I stick with the current paint scheme, so if I have to do anything too extensive, I should be able to cover it.

#25 ·
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

That's what I keep hearing, but I'm hoping I win the lottery and get a unicorn. That's not too much to ask, is it? :)

Regardless, if it fits like shit I'll fix it as much as the trunk will allow and hope for the best. The edges will all end up being painted if I stick with the current paint scheme, so if I have to do anything too extensive, I should be able to cover it.

Maybe you will get lucky and get a good one? I'm sure they weren't all bad.

#32 ·
I'm satisfied. I didn't fully inspect it yet, but it looks like the weave is good. They didn't do the best wet sand and buff job, but the average person wouldn't notice and I'll be painting most of it eventually anyway.

I can definitely complain about their drilling and cutting though. This one was drilled to allow use of the stock third brake light mounting hardware and it in no way would ever work. Their holes don't line up anywhere near where they should be. And being that they already drilled them out instead of letting me doing it, it made it a royal pain in the ass to mount the light securely. On that same note, they didn't cut the hole out large enough for the third brake light to fit properly either. But, better too small than too big I guess. I fixed that too.

As for actually mounting up the deck lid, it fit fairly well. I didn't have to do anything besides adjust it a couple times to have it sit flush, so I can't complain there. Maybe I did get the unicorn?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.