Open Road Racing Setup info needed - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Open Road Racing Setup info needed

Hey guys, I'm a new SRT-4 owner and have been scouring this site for almost two weeks. I am an amateur open road racer, Sand Hills Open Road Challenge and the upcoming Silver State Classic Challenge. One of the primary reasons I bought the SRT-4 was to serve as my daily driver and ORR car - it's way cheaper than a vette and a lot more practical. That being said, this is only the second turbo car I've owned (a long time ago 1991 Eagle Talon 16V AWD turbo) so I'm learning a lot from this forum - theres' a lot of very educated folks here. I have found a lot of info on drag racing, HP upgrades and autocross set-ups, but nothing pertaining to the handling and sustained high speeds of an open road challenge. I'll be starting in the 110 mph class and working my way to the 125 mph class. These often see speeds in excess of 120 mph for 25 - 30 miles at a time. Not including any safety equipment upgrades, what might you guys suggest as modifications to the exhaust, turbo, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires or any thing else you can think of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:29 PM
SRTforums Member

search this section for information posted by Dale Seeley, as a good start.
He raced his SRT-4 in One Lap of America successfully for a number of years.

Good-bye, SRT.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:39 PM
SRTforums Member

Also, look for posts by Richard Worley (his name and screen name). He is an SCCA racer here in CO that has done many open road races in his SRT4. You should find a lot of what you are looking for from him. Not sure if he posts here anymore, but everything can be found in the search.

Rick

Rick Snyder
Snyder Motorsports
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

I did a search on Dale Seeley in this thread, nothing. I found him other threads and I saw some stuff from Richard Worley. Got some good brake information that was a couple of years old, hope it's still up to date. There's a thread regarding a group buy on a AGP racing intercooler - seems like a good price based on my research. Should I consider upgrading the intercooler for sustained high speed?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Premium Member (Lifetime)
SRT of the Month
2011 Calendar Car

Lifetime Premium Member
Well I wouldn't be me if I didn't chime in with my $0.02.

You have a lot to do for SUSTAINED high speed racing. Real suspension is your first priority (since by your earlier statement I am to assume you have safety equipment taken car of). If money is no object, visit the 3R Racing website and buy one of everything for the SRT-4.

Since that isn't too likely a scenario, try these things:
1-Full poly bushing for all suspension components. You may want to go to the solid LCA bushing from www.Rage-Tek.com as well.
2-Big Sway bars - Hotchkis are the best value.
3-Coilovers - Many people like the Mopar and KW kits. Personally I went to Koni and had them make me a custom set-up with race inserts into a stock housing.
4-Stiff springs I went 440/660 Eibach's Fr/Rr

Tires and Wheels
1 - High quality 17*8 of your choice. I have OZ's and love them.
2 - High quality 225 to 245 tire of your choice.
www.tirerack.com is hard to beat for both of these items.

Next I would address reliability issues for the long runs.
1- Lower temp thermostat. 180* or 160*
2- Thicker radiator
3- BFMIC - I would go AIS or AGP Race

Of course to win in any race class, a bigger turbo is always fun!

Mopar Stage 3R (Tial wheel) with Toys. This and basic bolt on's will give you about 350-360 HP/TQ to the wheels. Contact Ted at www.MoparSuperCenter.com

For the extra power you will also need at least:
1-60MM throttle body
2-Full 3" Turbo back exhaust system (see Scott at www.MaxxFab.com for the best products - I would go with the Side Exit (no cat, w/res)

Of course to stop all that extra power you will need some brakes. For road course braking (frequent and very hard) I went with a Wilwood BBK (Plus 3 or 4) from Todd at www.tceperformanceproducts.com, but for a direct fit system you can look to Ted again at www.MoparSuperCenter.com for their custom brake kits for the SRT-4

Next would be aerodynamics....

Lose the factory wing and get one that does something.... I hear Realtime Racing has some nice stuff.

For underbody, I would contact Mark at www.RamseyFamilyRacing.com in Sanford FL, they are developing a lot of new products to help make the SRT-4 as slippery as possible.

Hope some of this helps....

Doug

Modern Performance SRT4 - Dominating the road race community for over 5 years!

2012 MPx SRT4 Racing and Event schedule:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f77/...2012-a-627265/

Get your fix of SRT-4 racing here : www.WindspeedMotorsports.com

Last edited by 1LAPSRT; 07-18-2007 at 10:33 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 PM
SRT of the Month
2011 Calendar Car

Lifetime Premium Member
PS - Tell me more about this type of racing....It's new to me.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Open Road Racing

1 LAP RACING pretty much nailed it on the head with the set-up he sudj.

Of course I have to throw in a sudj on my parts. PM me.

On the one lap set-up, you better look into getting some kind of roll bar, or cage. I have been wanting to run this race forever. One thing that i do remember is, it is really expensive.
Another very important part you should look into is, a GPS. A lot of those races lately have been won by mere seconds. This way if you can't get a navigator, you can use the GPS to tell you exactly where you are at.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:57 PM
SRT of the Month
2011 Calendar Car

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny z
1 LAP RACING pretty much nailed it on the head with the set-up he sudj.

Of course I have to throw in a sudj on my parts. PM me.

On the one lap set-up, you better look into getting some kind of roll bar, or cage. I have been wanting to run this race forever. One thing that i do remember is, it is really expensive.
Another very important part you should look into is, a GPS. A lot of those races lately have been won by mere seconds. This way if you can't get a navigator, you can use the GPS to tell you exactly where you are at.
You mean like this?

Ignore that little thing mounted on the floor.....

Last edited by 1LAPSRT; 07-18-2007 at 11:00 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:09 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

that is not my car bud.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 PM
SRT of the Month
2011 Calendar Car

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny z
that is not my car bud.
Actually it is mine! LOL

Just read the Sandhills rule book (much of it anyway...) and all I need to do to compete is drive to NE (again). It would have been cool too....it starts on my birthday!

Maybe next year....
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 02:47 AM
SRTforums Member

if you remove the stock FMIC for a BFMIC make sure to get a crash bar fabbed or buy one ( I saw one on here from a vendor I dont recall which so someone chime in ) the crash bar must be replaced or modified to fit a BFMIC. IF YOUR RULES ALLOW, tie the cage to the front and rear strut towers. Brakes are the big deal here, wilwoods are good, but there are better brake kits out there. focus on the brake forum for better info. slippery stuff: I was thinking about this, a splitter and diffuser as well as a decent wing. move some weight back to the trunk (battery) =]

David
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM
SRT of the Month
2011 Calendar Car

Lifetime Premium Member
I must have dreamed about this last night, because I woke up screaming after a wheel flew off the car at high speeds.

While working on the suspension you also MUST (AND THIS IS NOT AN OPTION) replace the factory wheel studs with something stronger than a toothpick. MANY people have lost wheels while racing for lack of changing the studs out.

ARP sells a good one through JEGs and SUMMIT. Click here. These are press in parts and will require new open ended lug nuts. While I was there, I would also change all the hubs and bearing (I do that at least 2 times per year).

DrmCtchr is correct too.... You need to replace the front crash bar with something. I have a Pwerks bar and SloBoy make a good one too. Good idea too on attatching the cage into the towers.

I have a summit battery relocate kit and an optima battery in the trunk, this gets a little more weight over the rear and helps balance the car a little bit.

Ramsey Family Racing has a great diffuser and are working on developing a splitter, and are trying hard to incorporate some brake ducting.

Last edited by 1LAPSRT; 07-19-2007 at 06:54 AM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LAPSRT
PS - Tell me more about this type of racing....It's new to me.
It's pretty simple really, you try to average your class speed over the entire distance of the course. It requires a lot of good math skills and a qualified navigator is a huge advantage. I've done this previously in a 2006 Z06 Vette and we did pretty well, but I became hooked and want to do this several times a year. It's just not practical to go out and spend $75K on a new vette and then another $5k or so to make the mods to race in the class I want. The SRT-4 is a perfect fit for this type of competition and my budget. I'm a pretty experienced racer having spent time on the drag strip, road courses and now open road, i just dont know a whole lot about the SRT-4 turbo. I've always always had v-8 musclecars. Visit our website and you'll see what I mean - www.perfectionautosport.com This what we do during the day so we can play on the weekends! Thanks for all the input.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 AM
SRT of the Month
2011 Calendar Car

Lifetime Premium Member
That's a pretty sweet shop turning out some nice looking product!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:29 PM
SRTforums Member

ah yes, very nice =] good luck with the new style of going fast. (FWD) =] These cars are alot of fun. =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode