Dodge SRT Forum banner

Racing my SRT-4 mini-van in Tucson AZ

5K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  JmalB 
#1 ·
Speed World in Wittmann AZ where I normally race is temporarily closed due to disagreements between the owner and the county. Firebird is usually too crowded and they don't have any racing according to their schedule this month and they too are closing in April. I looked up SIR in Tucson and they have test & tune starting at 8 a.m. this Saturday the 16th. That would work out great for me because I won't have to get a motel because I can get 4-5 hours of racing in during the day and still make it home at a decent hour. So I've got some questions for those that have raced there because I don't want to drive 2.5 hours (one way) to not be able to race.

1) I can pass NHRA regulations and SIR goes by IHRA. The IRHA online rule book sucks. I am currently in the 14's but have a SNELL 2010 helmet (for when I get into the 13's) and a fire jacket because of my non-stock power adder. I'll be using slicks. Are IRNA rules any more strict or that different than NHRA?

2) Has anybody raced there during the day? How busy is it?

3) How is the place laid out? I tow my van with my Dodge Dakota on a tow dolly and I have tools in the back for any problems that might come up. Is there a place to park when towing a trailer? I can't back-up with a tow dolly.

4) Speed World opened at 7 p.m. and racing started between 8-9 p.m. With SIR opening at 8 a.m., I'm guessing during the day is practice and at night is when spectators show up. Can anybody fill me in how the day plays out?

5) During test & tune, do they give out time slips? I'll be going by myself so I won't have anybody in the stands reading the board to tell me my times.

Thanks for any info anybody can give me on this. Also anybody who hasn't seen the build page on my '88 SRT-4 Caravan can see it here: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f451/04-srt-4-engine-88-caravan-build-576112/

A.J.

See less See more
#7 ·
Just seen your from Mesa guess Ill have to keep an eye out for the srt minivan
I own my own shop in Mesa. Swing by sometime. I'm usually open Saturdays if I'm not racing or volunteering. Volunteering next Saturday.

Two most important things. DO NOT do a burnout and roll through the lights or deep stage then reverse. They will kick you out. seen it done a couple times. And Do not expect to cut decent 60 foot times. The track is decent but if it hasn't been prepped forget about it.
No worries there. I set the e-brake and barely creep forward. I need practice on my burn outs though.

Bad 60 ft times even with slicks?

Thanks for the info Zygomatic. I'm 95% sure I'm going. I'll probably leave here around 7-8 a.m. and get down there about 9:30-10:30 a.m. Since I'm going alone, if somebody has a camera to film, please bring it. Mine shit the bed and usually my Dad does the filming but he went on a cruise and took his with him. I'll have my laptop with me to tune so bring a cable so I can download the movies/pictures before I leave.

A.J.

#5 ·
SIR is a decent track. Im originally from Tucson Az. Last time i raced there 2009, tech inspection was pretty straight forward and being in the 14s didn't require a helmet. If you get there early say, 3pm, it isn't busy at all. I was the first through tech and I could do 3 back to back runs. Just like most tracks, theres a prep area where you can have you van and trailer and all that jazz. The staging lines are to the south of the track and its very easy to spot them. After your run, its a left turn to where they hand out the timeslips. Two most important things. DO NOT do a burnout and roll through the lights or deep stage then reverse. They will kick you out. seen it done a couple times. And Do not expect to cut decent 60 foot times. The track is decent but if it hasn't been prepped forget about it.

#6 ·
1) 1) I can pass NHRA regulations and SIR goes by IHRA. The IRHA online rule book sucks. I am currently in the 14's but have a SNELL 2010 helmet (for when I get into the 13's) and a fire jacket because of my non-stock power adder. I'll be using slicks. Are IRNA rules any more strict or that different than NHRA?

To my knowledge they really won't care about your non-stock power adder unless it's nitrous as far as wearing a fire-jacket is concerned. I will ask some locals regarding that later. As for the helmet you have to run 13.99 or faster and it has to be Snell approved and your 2010 is okay. They are not near as strict as the rules online say. They kind of just pencil whip and go unless you are some kid acting like a douche.

2) 2) Has anybody raced there during the day? How busy is it?

It's really hit or miss. Some days there is NOBODY and you can get damn near 15 runs in easily. And other days there will be a line stacked for about an hour. Knowing that firebird is closed.. I'm hoping SIR wont be packed because of it..

3) How is the place laid out? I tow my van with my Dodge Dakota on a tow dolly and I have tools in the back for any problems that might come up. Is there a place to park when towing a trailer? I can't back-up with a tow dolly.

Easy. Won't be a problem. Don't worry about that at all. They didn't even fill up every space at IFO.

4) Speed World opened at 7 p.m. and racing started between 8-9 p.m. With SIR opening at 8 a.m., I'm guessing during the day is practice and at night is when spectators show up. Can anybody fill me in how the day plays out?

Lately during this season they have been giving morning racing all the way until about 3PM or when cars die out. Usually tech closes around 10-11. On Saturday TnT's SIR is pretty active. Usually opens at 5PM and Tech opens at 6PM and racing starts near 6:30 or 7:00.

5) During test & tune, do they give out time slips? I'll be going by myself so I won't have anybody in the stands reading the board to tell me my times.

Yes. They give time slips.

It's a good time there, but don't overthink it. It probably isn't near as great as the Phoenix track. We have higher altitude and the track prep isn't probably near as up to par. Just bring everything and let us know when you race! I'll bring the Tucson srt-4 crew with me. Hope to see you and your ride soon!

#12 ·
SIR is a really nice track. I'm glad I made the drive. I started racing about 11:00 and quit around 4:00. They had an event going on. I got twelve runs in and they were all less than stellar. I think I need to upgrade my torque converter. I can't stage worth a shit. I did great burn-outs but I couldn't build any boost to launch and took off like a dog. Once I got about 50'-100' out it came alive. My best run was 1/10th slower than my fastest run at Speed World. I need to hit a dyno, get my torque curve, and get a converter made.

My number is on the right, the blue Neon SRT-4 in the picture below was on the left. It's cool that my fastest run was against an SRT-4 so I had his time also. Later in the day he had "13.9" written on his window.

There was an SRT-4 there. I went to look at it and talk to the owner. The hood was open so I could look underneath. It looked stock. The owner wasn't around for me to talk with him.

A.J.

#36 ·
4 years later, searching for threads about drag wheels... How the hell did I miss this thread?!?! That's my blue Neon in the picture. 4 years and my dial was only .5 sec faster my last race event. Le sigh.

#32 ·
I want to get into the 13's. I used a 1/4 mile calculator and at my weight I need 350 horse power to get 13 flat, if it's correct. It didn't specify if it was at the flywheel or the wheels.

pheonix is lower elevation then tucson.Might get a better time there, SIR almost always has head winds
Last Saturday they were tail winds. Even with the wind behind me I still couldn't beat my best time at Speed World of 14.7. It was 30 degrees warmer though.

A.J.

#34 ·
I'm going to SIR in Tucson this Saturday October the 12th. I'm looking forward to see what I can do with the AGP twin scroll exhaust manifold and Zeta 2.8 turbo along with my air to water intercooler on my SRT-4 mini-van. Last time I went I had the S60 turbo, log exhaust manifold, and air to air Toyota Supra intercooler with 12' of 2" pipe. I still have the wrong stall converter in it. I still have some tuning to do on the van so it might not be ready. If it's not ready I'll be taking my Dad's '85 Chrysler T&C 2.5 turbo wagon.

#38 ·
Dunno... If you look at the picture, I think that's me just off the left shoulder of the rider in white leathers. I'm guessing if he was looking for me while the car was in the pits, I was off either getting snacks or, talking to other club members, or making use of the facilities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.