Dodge SRT Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennzoil Enginners Q&A Session

21K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  PennzoilQ&A 
#1 ·

Hello SRT Forums Members from the team at Pennzoil.

At Pennzoil, we’re car people. We love cars and the role they play in our lives. Some of our most cherished memories are made possible by cars. That’s why we tirelessly pursue the latest advances in oil technology - to provide car lovers just like you with state-of-the-art motor oils that can help keep engines running strong for a long, long time. At Pennzoil, motor oil is our passion, but cars are our way of life.

Recently, we introduced the new Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 synthetic motor oil, created alongside Chrysler Group engineers specifically to keep SRT engines running clean. The advanced, co-engineered formulation was the result of months of collaboration between Pennzoil scientists and Chrysler Group engineers to develop a motor oil that provides the performance that SRT owners have come to expect from their high-tech engines.

We recognize that SRT owners understand the importance of performance and craftsmanship like few others. They know clean engines are more efficient, better protected and perform at the demanding levels SRT engines are designed to operate at.

With that, we are happy to provide to you an opportunity to have your motor oil related questions answered by members of the Pennzoil and SRT Teams.

We greatly appreciate the interest that has been shown in our new product and would like to show our commitment to enthusiasts like all of you. Beginning today, with this post, we have opened a special thread for all of you to submit your questions to our team.

The thread will be open for question collection until October 29th. At that time, we will gather the questions posted and spend the next week answering as many as we can before providing you answers on November 16th. We are extremely excited to be able to do this, and we have only a few requests:

1. Please use this thread ONLY to submit questions, and please keep commentary or feedback on the product to the other areas of the site. Many members of the team do visit from time to time and always note feedback.
  2. Please understand that there will be some questions that we will not be able to answer. We can not divulge any proprietary information and can only speak from our areas of expertise.
  3. Please understand that we will not and cannot comment or speculate on the products of our competitors.
Thank you all for the understanding and enthusiasm.

Please ask any questions you may have as our team consists of marketers, engineers, formulators from our R&D group as well as SRT team members. Some of the members answering your questions will be:

Bree Sandlin
Pennzoil Global Brand Manager

Suzanne Clerkin
Pennzoil Associate Brand Manager

Dr. Robert Sutherland
Pennzoil Technology Manager

Dr. Allie Falender
Shell Technology Manager

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm new to the Challenger world and typically get my oil changed at the Dodge house with whatever it is they recommend (synthetic). Due to my lack of oil knowledge or expertise I would like to know if I would be able to run this oil longer and if I will need a different filter as well?

#9 ·
The first thing we would recommend is that you confirm the type of engine oil that you are being offered. Check your owner’s manual and verify the proper viscosity grade for your vehicle. Then make sure they offer the correct Pennzoil Ultra synthetic motor oil, approved by Chrysler. We should all take charge of our parts and fluid decisions to take better care of our cars. The oil drain is set by the engine maker, as is the minimum motor oil quality level thus you should stay with the owner’s manual recommendations to get the most out of your car.

#3 ·
Oil

As an owner of an SRT for over several years; this oil debate has been around. My question is simply this, what is the main difference between Penzoil fully synthetic vs Moible One fully synthetic?

Can you provide any COMPARATIVE data to justify the use of Penzoil synthetic in ,y beloved SRT?

#10 ·
As an owner of an SRT for over several years; this oil debate has been around. My question is simply this, what is the main difference between Penzoil fully synthetic vs Moible One fully synthetic?

Can you provide any COMPARATIVE data to justify the use of Penzoil synthetic in ,y beloved SRT?
In response to the need from Chrysler, Pennzoil® introduced the new Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 synthetic motor oil, created alongside Chrysler Group engineers specifically to keep SRT engines running clean. The advanced, co-engineered formulation is the result of months of collaboration between Pennzoil scientists and Chrysler Group engineers to develop a motor oil that provides the performance that SRT owners have come to expect from their high-tech engines. Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 is the motor oil Chrysler recommends for use in all SRT engines, exceeding the stringent Chrysler MS-12633 specification.

#11 ·
We always recommend sticking with the motor oil viscosity the manufacturer recommends and, in your situation, you can use Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 motor oil. It is a similar formulation in the specific viscosity recommended for your vehicle. Because we fully formulate each motor oil we create, you can use the Euro formulation in your American vehicle because it meets all US engine oil requirements.

The newer 0w-40 Pennzoil Ultra motor oil was developed for the current model 8- and 10-cylinder model SRT engines.

#5 ·
I have used Mobil 1 since 1987. That said, I am open to any synthetic oil that is comparable. I am now using an additive called ZDDPlus to add the anti ware additives that the Federal government mandated be removed. The governments claim, for the removal, was the earlier oil formulas with the increased additive package was reducing the life if the catalytic converters. My question is;what have you done with the Pennzoil additive package that would bring the ware components back to where they were (SF) before the government mandate.
Thank you in advance,
Jim

#12 ·
Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 motor oil exceeds the demanding API SN and Chrysler MS-12633 specifications. Specific to your question, modern engine oils provide all of the wear protection required by current engine hardware. Changes in formulation are always made in full consideration of what the engine demands, therefore rest assured that modern oils will be just for your car. The use of supplemental oil additives may upset these carefully crafted formulations and cause other problems with your engine – we do not advise their use. Specifically ZDDP additives can damage your catalytic converters, harm the environment and void the warranty on the catalyst life. Further, modern engine oils are formulated with a new and different kind of ZDDP compared to those used just a few years ago, more reason not to add anything to the mix. The only time you would possibly need a ZDDP boost is if you have altered the engine with a high profile camshaft and stiffer valve springs, in that case we offer racing oils with high ZDDP levels built in to better protect racing set-ups. Pennzoil Racing 25W-50 motor oil is designed for this specific case.

#6 ·
1) How does Pennzoil Ultra compare to Mobil 1?

2) The factory recommendation for my 2004 Neon SRT4 is Mobil 1 5w-30. I do a few track days and autox events throughout the summer as a novice and my car is all stock parts, nothing fancy. Do I have anything to gain by switching to Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 (the new factory recommendation for SRT vehicles)? Or would it be comparable to using Mobil 1 5w-30?

3) Building on the last question, if you do recommend switching to the Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40; how does that compare to Mobil 1's 0w-40 offering? What are the differences in formula? Mobil 1 markets theirs as their "European formula" where as yours was developed alongside the SRT engineers. Which would be the better choice?

Thanks for taking the time to answer any of my questions.

#13 ·
1) For Chrysler SRT engines Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 motor oil is the clear choice of Chrysler as this oil was co-engineered by Pennzoil formulators and Chrysler engineering to get the most out of SRT engines. When looking for direct comparisons between Pennzoil and Mobil 1; Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra SAE 5W-30 keep pistons cleaner than Mobil 1 5W-30. For more information, go to Motor Oil, Synthetic Oil, Transmission Fluid - Pennzoil. Most important though is to always use the recommended viscosity grade and performance level when selecting your engine oil.

2) Pennzoil Platinum motor oil would be more comparable to Mobil 1 in SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade, yet still provide cleaner pistons than does Mobil 1. Pennzoil Ultra SAE 5W-30 motor oil exceeds Mobil 1 in piston cleanliness. Either of these oils would make a great step up from the oil you are currently using. Please remember to always follow the owner’s manual for viscosity grade and oil quality recommendations.

3) Pennzoil Ultra offers a Pennzoil Ultra SAE 0W-40 SRT motor oil specifically for Chrysler SRT engines, we also offer a Pennzoil Ultra Euro SAE 5W-40 motor oil specifically for VW, BMW, MB and other European engine makes. The oils are very different (because the engine needs are very different) and should be used as intended. The Pennzoil Ultra SAE 0W-40 SRT motor oil is specifically tuned for SRT engines according to Chrysler engineering standards and was tested and formulated for that purpose, thus this oil offers many advantages required for SRT engines. Sorry we can’t offer formulation details, but this oil was made specifically with your car in mind. I would suggest that you stay with the viscosity grade recommended in your owner’s manual.

#8 ·
Neither do I.

If anyone came come up with any data, I'll be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.