• 2 Post By HybridKid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New srt owner in NY

Hey guys,
I just bought my first srt in April. It's a fun car and I like it, but I paid 3000 for it and it needs a lot more money. I'm wondering if it's worth putting all the money into. It has 148000 miles on it and it needs a whole new suspension, tires, I have to put a thermal r & d 3 inch exhaust on it with a muffler cuz its my daily driver and I'm sick of being pulled over. After I get all that stuff done it's going to need an alignment and probably some stuff like wheel bearings and tie rods and motor mounts. I should have my taxes back pretty soon so I'm wondering if I should put the three to four $1,000 more into it at this point or not. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Teflon07; 01-10-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 PM
SRTforums Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hey welcome to the forums. Where in NY are you from? I'm from orange county.

In regards to your question, the answer is, "it depends." Is the engine healthy? How is the transmission? Do YOU like the car and want to get it up to date on everything?

Tires are a regular wear item so you would need them eventually, I understand it is an expense but like I said you will need them anyway so replacing them shouldn't hurt too much.

Also, what exactly is needed for the suspension? The wheel bearings cost like 30 each on rockauto and you should replace the hub as well. That isn't a terrible job, i have done a few, you just need to have the bearings pressed in. You can do that with the tie rods and then get the car aligned.

If you get motor mounts I would recommend a set of dogbones. Also, have you done the timing belt? flushed fluids and etc?
HybridKid likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04itr View Post
Hey welcome to the forums. Where in NY are you from? I'm from orange county.

In regards to your question, the answer is, "it depends." Is the engine healthy? How is the transmission? Do YOU like the car and want to get it up to date on everything?

Tires are a regular wear item so you would need them eventually, I understand it is an expense but like I said you will need them anyway so replacing them shouldn't hurt too much.

Also, what exactly is needed for the suspension? The wheel bearings cost like 30 each on rockauto and you should replace the hub as well. That isn't a terrible job, i have done a few, you just need to have the bearings pressed in. You can do that with the tie rods and then get the car aligned.

If you get motor mounts I would recommend a set of dogbones. Also, have you done the timing belt? flushed fluids and etc?
Thanks! I'm from the Rochester area. I believe the engine is good, it's only ever had royal purple oil and been changed regularly. No problems with the tranny. The suspension is completely shot all the way around, it bottoms out on every little bump. I get that tires in tie rods and stuff like that are normal wear and tear things. I think the turbo needs to be rebuilt or replaced too, there is oil all over my air intake sensor and on the pipe around it and it don't seem to work like it used to. It still sits at zero though. I'm just worried that with 147000 miles on it that I'm going to put all this money into it and then something like the motor or tranny could go. I was looking at megan coilovers and a thermal R&D exhaust. That's about 1500 just in parts. I do like the car and I would put the money into fixing it and then tuNing it up some, I'm just not sure with that many miles on it if it's worth it. not sure how Dependable or reliable or what their longevity is like. I am not looking to do anything too crazy with it but I would like to try to get the horsepower up to about 300.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon07 View Post
Thanks! I'm from the Rochester area. I believe the engine is good, it's only ever had royal purple oil and been changed regularly. No problems with the tranny. The suspension is completely shot all the way around, it bottoms out on every little bump. I get that tires in tie rods and stuff like that are normal wear and tear things. I think the turbo needs to be rebuilt or replaced too, there is oil all over my air intake sensor and on the pipe around it and it don't seem to work like it used to. It still sits at zero though. I'm just worried that with 147000 miles on it that I'm going to put all this money into it and then something like the motor or tranny could go. I was looking at megan coilovers and a thermal R&D exhaust. That's about 1500 just in parts. I do like the car and I would put the money into fixing it and then tuNing it up some, I'm just not sure with that many miles on it if it's worth it. not sure how Dependable or reliable or what their longevity is like. I am not looking to do anything too crazy with it but I would like to try to get the horsepower up to about 300.
Have you done a compression test on the engine? Do you know if the timing belt has been replaced?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04itr View Post
Have you done a compression test on the engine? Do you know if the timing belt has been replaced?
No compression test, but I can. What should it be? as far as I know the timing belt has not been done either.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 AM
SRTforums Member

I'm not sure what the numbers should be but I do know that they should at least all be consistent. For example, 144, 145, 142, 145 would be okay. If you do a compression test and post the numbers here, more knowledgeable members will provide feedback. Also, if you're going to keep the car you should do the timing belt.
Teflon07 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 AM
"Made" Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Need to do a leak down test too, while this may not show for certain the rings and valves are sealing 100% it will tell you though if it is really bad.
04itr and Teflon07 like this.

Last edited by HybridKid; 01-11-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I'll try to get both tests done this weekend and post the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode