Dodge SRT Forum banner

New member here from nyc

599 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Alex Waldmann 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I've always loved neons ever since I started driving 10 years ago. I finally took the leap into the nsrt4 world 3 months ago and living out my high school dream. I've never owned any turbod cars or really anything more than 120 hp lol. I actually daily drive an 05 sxt, and this is my fun/project/weekend car. I picked this silver 05 srt4 up for 4800 with 106k miles, complete tranny rebuild at 100k with DCR parts stage 2 south bend clutch at the same time, has a bfmic, full turbo back exhaust, agp wga (spikes at like 19psi), agp hard pipe, raceland coilovers, acr bbs rims, aem Cai, custom dsp tune, aem afr gauge..so from the minute I shifted this baby into first to now I love it to death. It is in mint condition inside and out and between that and the transmission rebuild (owner gave me receipts of all the work done to the car since he had it so I knew that was legit) I was sold. He said he had it dyno ed and it was at about 280 hp or something, but I don't think he ever did but I do know it's quick. Like I said I've never really owned any serious fast cars so I don't have much to compare to. My real reason for joining here is to figure out where to go next. I've actually read a ton on this forum but I just decided to join. Sitting on the side right now I have a Maddog sts, oil catch can, pcv valve, and Walbro 255 (I figured wherever I go from here I'll need that place the rewire kit ). I really want to be in the 350-375 hp range. I feel like from what I've read I'm close to maxing out the stock turbo. Porting the exhaust and intake Manny are really the next steps in maxing out my stock turbo is that correct?

I've really been doing a lot of reading but my thoughts are all over the place in where to go and where to access the parts I need. Note that I'm from NYC so any locals or people that can forward me the some local shops or people to talk to about where to go in the NY nj pa area would be awesome.

So since I have a lot of the supporting mods, I was thinking of getting an e1 bws (or another bws if anyone has suggestion), bigger injectors ( >750cc), possible porting the intake and exhaust Manny (just came across sdk motorsporys and they do porting for exhaust and intake Manny, are they reliable? Anyone else I can contact?) Also upgrading the map and tip sensors too or would thst be a waste? Say I was running 22psi on a bws, the map and tip sensors max at 18 psi correct? Also how will running e85 on top of all this change things? Do I need a fuel return line to run e85? When do return lines become necessary?

So that's all I really got so far. I don't think I really want to go big turbo right now. I also don't want to have the engine rebuilt or anything right now so I'd like to keep it around 350 to 375 max right now as easy as possible(I feel like going big turbo begins to make the process a bit more difficult. Thanks for everyone's help in advance, as you can see I have searched the forums and read a lot, I am just looking for help and advice solely related to my case, and maybe some people in the area to cruise and build and shit with. Nice meeting everyone.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! You're going to have a great time with this car. I'm semi-local to you. I live about an hour or so north of NYC but I work in Manhattan. There's a lot for you to learn. I don't know of any serious performance shops in the area.

Some questions, do you have a wideband? Diabo sport tuner?

Regarding the bws: you can get one from AGP, a lot of people here dislike them but for your power goals it may not be a bad idea. I had considered one as well but I haven't done any extensive work to my car.

Porting: form and function is very popular on here and are worth looking into (unless things have changed).

You may want to consider a stage 3 kit, I believe there's one for sale on the market place here.

For your other questions I'm sure a more knowledgeable member can chime in, I'm using my phone so grammar and extensive typing kind of sucks lol

Once again, welcome!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Where are you an hour north of nyc? My srt is actually parked in rockland county (new city) which is about an hour or 45 mins north. I grew up there but now live in the city with my soon to be wife.

Anyways, yeah I have a diablo predator eith a custom tune and the handheld, and aem wideband. What do you mean about your statement on porting and form and function? I don't quite understand the importance of porting and how that translates to power. I get that more air and exhaust flow will improve power, but what is specifically happening and what are the gains roughly?

I actually contacted the guy about the stage 3. Not quite sure I can put up that cash right now, bws setup seems cheaper and close to the same power from what I've read although I may be way wrong.

#3 ·
Welcome! 04itr is correct, I would keep her under 400WHP that way you are won't have to worry too much about breaking axles, clutches and need to upgrade internals (sounds like that is stock). You will still have a ton of fun and very little traction.;) These cars are light so power to weight will make her Very competitive with many cars out there.
e85 will require a fuel return and rising pressure regulator IMHO and also larger than 750cc. Also remember in the cold weather e85 may require more specialized tuning or a switch back to 93 octane regular gas.
Do you know what the 'custom DSP tune' was all about and who did it?

#5 ·
So like I said this isn't my daily driver it's only for fun, so if I could get a tune done for e85 and 93 and switch between tunes that would be a great option. What am I looking at in terms of power by switching to e85 with the stocker. How about e85 with the bws? Obviously knowing that I would need bigger injectors, I already have a walbro255, and the return line which all seem pretty easy to install. The engine is completely stock and id like to keep it that way unless god forbid something happens and then ill do engine work and work on more power, but the tranny is built with stage 1 DCR gears and a stage 2 south bend clutch (the previous owner dropped about 5000 on the transmission rebuild 6k miles before I got it and has detailed service records for everything). The tune I am not sure. I do know it's boosting at 18 to 19 psi, and it's not the regular 93octane tune that comes with the dsp. Maybe I can download the tune file to my computer and see what was done? Is that possible?

#6 ·
dan at flame red in edison nj is a great shop, srt4 specialty
new and used parts
dyno/tune/ full build
easiest way to reach him is face book

#7 ·
Talk to Dan and give him your goals; especially the one about not breaking the engine open unless you have to.
I don't run a stock turbo system or e85 so I am not able to help you there, but I don't see why you can't get a safe 350HP with bigger injectors and fuel system mods and tune.
Porting the intake and exhaust port by itself will not be worth it in my opinion, without bigger valves, cams, springs and retainers. Plus it would require that you break the engine apart.
If not already done, I would disconnect the balance assembly, this will require only dropping the oil pan. This may have already been done, looking at the modification list by the previous owner but I would check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.