Dodge SRT Forum banner

Looking to buy/ New Member

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  m4mckeen 
#1 ·
Hey

Well I've decided i want a "cool" car again. My wife and I have been a one family car for the last four years, my whole army career so far. We have a white hemi jeep. We got stationed back here in texas, and we live 20 miles away from my work. I bought a little ford focus hatch for the cummute but I'm a car guy at heart.

So I want to buy an SRT4 neon>:) once my tax return comes in. I do want to mod or buy a modded one. Any advice on looking for one, or anyone selling one? Im willing to go anywhere in the US to get one.

#3 ·
If you enjoy driving, and you are willing to buy anywhere in the USA, you can always get a one way ticket if you trust what you see with the car you want to buy.

I honestly think the most important thing these days is:

1) Unmolested shell w/ straight frame - outer body, front bumper, hood, side skirts, etc. Some of that stuff is getting hard to find.
2) An interior that isn't trashed
3) Decent engine

The reason I would go in that order is that it appears it is harder to get a nice shell/interior/frame than it is to do the engine work. Replacing an engine is relatively easy by comparison (in my opinion) to straightening the frame, replacing a rear quarter, trying to fix a trashed interior.

Now if autobody/upholstery is your thing, or you don't mind doing a full swap into a base Neon (LOTS Of work, wiring, etc), then you may feel differently.

I'm not saying engines are a 'dime a dozen' but the achilles heel for this vehicle is NOT the engine, its usually someone making a mistake and totaling the car, which leaves a few surplus engines around to be had. It's easy to make even a small mistake and crunch the car or bend the frame, the engine takes quite a bit of abuse and keeps on ticking.

Best of luck in your search.

#4 ·
Ya, I was an autobody guy before I joined, right now I just want a drive and go car, I'm in a military school for the next year and don't have too much to do any major work. But I'm willing to do maintenance and easy upgrades, for now...

#5 ·
About to buy

05 ACR
70,xxx original miles.
Interior is in great condition
Factory acr BBS wheels

Bored .020 over engine
LSD Trans
Boomba fuel rail
Boomba catch tank
Godspeed intercooler
Agp 50 trim
Meth kit
850cc injectors
Hks ssqv
Turbo timer
Hks Evc boost controller
Exhaust has an electric cutout.
Booger shifter bushings

It's runs 16/23 lbs of boost

#9 ·
Pink fuel rail. Owned by a woman? :)
Check the compression. The shifting of the transmission while driving. What kind of clutch is in it and how many miles on it?
Some on here may tell you that $9K might be a little high but then again these cars in good condition are getting harder and harder to find. Plus the engine has been rebuilt so keep that in mind,might have had a harder than expected previous life.
Good Luck!

#10 ·
Ya It was not very well taken care of. Very dirty and dry rot window seals. Missing interior pieces to include steering column cover with wires hanging everywhere. The fuel line was completely rotted/cracked. I didn't even drive it I just walked away

Reactions: SER-ious
#13 ·
OK so I just bought this SRT4 it's number 159 with 127,000 miles. The only mods done to it are AGP blow off plate, AEM replacement boost gage, stereo, crappy window tent, and the stripes were repainted poorly. Tomorrow I'm having the tint stripped, I ordered brand-new motor mounts,and oil catch can. As soon as I bought it i replace the engine oil transmission oil.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.