It's time to get dirty

22K views 230 replies 25 participants last post by  T4EaterJonny 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#5 · (Edited)

Disassbled the door & removed the "Cuda" stripes

Going to save the wing & lid, storage it goes

Sanded, cleaned & sprayed/cleared the interior of my non-wing lid

Sanded, cleaned spray/clear the inside of my new door.

Long day ahead tomorro with glazing puddy ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: angel0410
#6 ·
Rock on man! You do body and paint? Thats a talent i wish to learn before im too old and run out of patience.

Reactions: titan2782
#8 ·
Do you do it for a living as well?

#9 ·
No, just a hobby. If it was my job it would loose it's fun. I'm a signman thru & through. Fabrication, welding, installing, paint, cnc, service, crane operator & I also blow glass for the neon signs. My step-dad before he passed was a used car dealer & I learned lots from him in the garage, bodywork, paint & parts changing. Never caught on to the business side of car dealing (can't stand a liar lol).

#10 ·
One thing you could do if you really wanted to keep the car as close to OEM as stock, if you have a very good camera take some pictures with good natural lighting of the old door VIN sticker and you can probably find a vinyl or print shop that could print a somewhat close looking replacement sticker for the new door. You could try steaming off the old one but they have a security backing and will probably fall apart if you try to peal it off.

#12 ·

Hung the new door

Door wasn't so new. Did bodywork & removed the rocker for repair also

Rear door got the treatment next

Lots of waves where the offending cars tire got it. If it ain't rubbing it ain't racing lol

Fender was next

Touched the rear 1/4 & fixed the dogleg

Brother-in-law took over & will be on his own for the remainder. I've got 2 20hr days to start my workweek at the signshop ?

Front bumper needs a lot of work (dam opposing)

Rear bumper was messed up when I purchased the car

Little blocking on the passenger side

Meh

Trunklid was last other then 320grit so she's ready for primer tomorro

Reactions: HybridKid
#13 ·
My brother-in-law is the man (thanks Tracy). He should have the srt ready to come home this week after he primes, blocks, repairs all the plastics, sprays & bakes. I will make it worth his while. Hate that I can't be there for the remainder but my work can't stop, time is ticking on the rental, Tracy is way more capable then I am & it is where he works. He promised progression pics so I can upload here ??

#14 ·

Not much to tell other then things are progressing nicely. Helped Tracy tape it out, shot 3 good coats of high build primer then guidecoat for the extra blocking tommoro. He worked on my front bumper for a couple hrs (long enough to remind me how tough it is lol.)
He Should have glaze on the plastics & ready to prime them before I get there tommoro.
Maybe I can help do some blocking & or wetsanding when I get there so we can get it in the paint booth

#15 ·
Nice progress. Sucks about the damage but good opportunity if you had been planning on repainting anyway.

#16 ·
^^^yes! 10 years on oem paint, so it had crows feet, knicks, chips, dings, waves, scratches ect. This give me a oppertunity to remove the stripes also (got tired of them).
Thankfully my brother-in-law loves my car as much as I. He is a Dodge fan too, has a big ol gas guzzling 4dr ram to haul 3 kids!
If everything goes as planned the car will be ready to paint/clear Thursday. The bumpers & skirt should follow. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is installing the internals into the door (glass is a pita).

Reactions: HybridKid
#17 ·
Update: payed for a gallon of clear, hardener ect. Bumpers are done & ready to paint. I should be taping her up tomorrow evening.
Insurance finally cut my check & about time! This outta pocket sux ballz.
Did have to get a extension on the rental (giving that poor Cruze hell).
Pics coming....

#18 ·

Ready for paint

All blocked down

A lot straighter then I would have believed

Hate seeing it like this but it'll be better soon

Paint has started!

Looking good

My favorite part all fixed & painted!

Reactions: angel0410
#21 ·
Hahaha i cant wait to see pics man! I just need to find a way to teleport my car to your shop :p

#23 ·
Lots of work, should come out clean.
Is that 2 stock srt4 intercoolers stacked and welded? If so wonder how it does.

#24 ·
Looks like one of the big aftermarket intercoolers with welded end tanks, but the stock cross hairs in the bumper cover kept the middle parts clean.

#25 ·
Yes, bfmic. I'd never cut the crosshairs or run with no mesh. I can't for the life of me figure out how to clean the center section of the intercooler tho. Any tips guys?
The next thing I need to figure out is exactly what everyone is using for the Home Depot lip? Garden edging? Garage door seal?
Thanks everyone for the praise! This car means a lot to me & I love seeing all of your great looking cars also ??

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.