Dodge SRT Forum banner

Enginjoe's Turbo SS Build

25K views 190 replies 30 participants last post by  enginjoe 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so here it is. I started out with a perfectly good brand new 2002 Camaro SS. I did a bunch of bolt ons, cam and then ended up with an STS turbo kit. I finally got it working right. Got one run in with a terrible launch...
Turbo 2002 Camaro 12.058 @120.3 mph. Spun a rod b - Car Videos on StreetFire
Clackety clack at the end of the track. Doh!

Surprise. Surprise. Turns out I had a broken number 7. Accidentally overboosted a few times...

So, the disassembly began...then the wife ran away with the kids...so it sat. Then a couple/three years ago after getting other things in order...

So I decided to heck with the rear mount set up and decided to do it right this time. So, I've been out getting parts and here is basically what I have...

- Moser 9" w/spool and 3.25 gears (low miles)
- BMR turbo k-member
- Kenny Brown double diamond SFCs
- QA1 adjustable shocks w/eibach springs
- Forged LS1 built by Larry's, Mahle pistons, scat rods, stock crank, 9.1:1
- 243 heads, valve job, new Lunati springs and retainers
- ARP Head Studs
- LS9 Head Gaskets
- New LS7 lifters
- New stock rockers with trunion upgrade
- New gaskets and seals from oil pan to headers, all of them
- Virginia Speed Turbo cam VTC-2
- New Poly motor and tranny mounts
- Truck manifold turbo kit, ST80 turbo
- Mccleod adjustable master cyl and gm slave
- UMI adjustable torque arm and crossmember
- New LS6 valley cover - for better PCV
- Edelbrock victor jr intake with proflow elbow
- The original transmission (T56)

I started assembling the motor the other day. I put an LS6 valley cover on for better PCV action. I had to do a little surgery to make it fit.

Short block

Surgery

Results

Ok, now put on the valley cover, lifters, heads, cam, timing chain, Doh!!!! Too much slack in timing chain. Waiting for parts...

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, so since the heads weren't going to work out, I decided to mock up the turbo set up.

Unfortunately, while clocking the turbo, I got a look at the exhaust wheel. Not good....

The compressor looks fine, but the housing is ugly and a replacement is on the way. Unfortunately, I'll have to get this thing fixed now too.

Oh yeah, and the stock water pump is not working with the bigger turbo. Going to have to move the hot pipes...

#3 ·
Heads are here! Off to the machine shop for cleanup, then new springs, then....

The previous heads had small block chevy springs, valves and retainers and were hitting the rockers. So I found someone who wanted them and got the 243s above.

#4 ·
Heads are back all clean and shiny with a valve job. Installed...

Did the pushrod measurements, so now they are on the way along with the new radiator. Should have this motor completely assembled this week and in the front end assembly.

#5 ·
Ok, so I got the pushrods in this week and installed them with the upgraded trunion rockers.

Then I finished the oil drain and buttoned up the bottom end. Then I sat the intake on top (need the right bolts - Doh!) just to get a couple pics.

#8 ·
A little more done this weekend. Motor is completely dressed minus the alternator relocate, spark plugs, injectors, rails and fuel hose. Just got the Tick speed bleeder a few minutes ago from the mail man so everything is ready to put the tranny on, roll this thing around the garage, bring in the 1/2 roller and drop it on top.

#13 ·
Ok, so I thought I was going to get some serious stuff done this weekend, but I had to go out of town for a bit, but I did get some stuff done. I got all my fuel stuff in (rails, fittings, hose) but there was a problem...

This is the 3/8 NPT threaded end of my fuel rail. I checked with a tap to make sure. That is what it is supposed to be...good right?

This is the fitting that is supposed to be a 3/8 NPT on one end and -8 AN on the other...it's not! It's a 3/8 compression threaded on the end that is supposed to be NPT...

Dang heck! Now I have to find the right ones and return these pieces of crapola.

I did get the speed bleeder in the slave, the tranny on the motor and everything is on rollers to make it easy for install.

I rolled it around to see how easy it was and it moves pretty good. If I didn't have a 32 year old piece of concrete that has never been repaired to roll it on, it would be easier...

#14 ·
Looks like a nice build man, love me some turbo lsx's

#20 ·
Motor and tranny are in...sorta.

I got the wrong cross member, Doh! I'll get that this week though. Anyway, first time this thing has sat on it's wheels with a good motor in 6 years...

#24 ·
Doubtful with my schedule. I'm thinking if I'm lucky, end of June. I will, however, have the SRT-4 back here in the next few weeks. I'm trying for this weekend, but I see some obstacles in the way...

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.