Dodge SRT Forum banner

Dvlinjrsycty's Build Thread (Old VegasFuel Car)

21K views 107 replies 16 participants last post by  RTShadow 
#1 · (Edited)
So I wanted to start this thread as a continuation to Tyler's (Boostingsnail) build thread. Keep everyone in the loop of whats going on with the car so people dont think it disappeared or ended up in the hands of someone just looking to strip the car for its parts.

Here's a link to Tyler's build thread for reference: BoostingSnail : VegasFuel / AGP Turbo Street Machine Build

For those of you who didn't know this car, it was immaculate. Tyler took his time with everything and couldn't have asked for a better track car for the price.

So I originally had a 2005 Flame Red SRT that I had a tire blow out while merging onto a highway and subsequently lost control of the vehicle and went head on into a median across 3 lanes of traffic in April of 2013. Thankfully I was ok and no one else was involved. My insurance check was surprisingly substantial and I needed a new car to track with minimal down time. I would have loved to have built another car but I found Tyler's for sale and with my insurance check I was able to purchase his car and a trailer.

Last season, between my car being broken into and all of my safety equipment, gopro and tuning stuff stolen, buying a house (with 4 garages!), family stuff, and work it was a bust. The car was garaged and started here and there to let everything run. Over the last couple months I've been able to replace everything that was stolen and been able to start making some tweaks here and there to the car.

So far the ACT twin disc has been removed and sent out to get rebuilt, after Tyler's track seasons I felt it could use a refresher just to make sure everything good with it. While the trans is out I will be placing a Monster Billet Clutch Fork salvaged from my wrecked Srt, DCR Fork Ball and Mopar TOB. A DCR 4th solid motor mount is going in as it was the only mount that wasn't changed and its easy to get to by sliding the engine over with the trans out.

I plan on getting a lot of seat time this season to get comfortable at the track with the car and get consistent 60's. I also want to get the track times this car should have been putting down at a good track, most likely Maple Grove, Englishtown, Atco and Island for test and tunes (Tyler was running at Beaver Springs). Then I plan on getting a tubular exhaust manifold, havent decided which one yet but that'll be down the road, something twin scroll, bigger intercooler, water injection, 2000ish cc injectors and an E85 tune.

Here's a quick list of the current mods as the car sit (Updated as of 4/21/2022):

Short Block:
Bored +.020” & finished honed with torque plate
8.5:1 CP Pistons
BC Rods w/ 625+ bolts
Factory Crank w/ Straps & ARP Main Studs
Mr. X Oil Windage Tray
Upgraded Oil Pump
ATI Super Damper

Cylinder Head:
Performance CNC Race Ported Head
+1mm Intake valves, +2mm Exhaust valves
Upgraded valve springs w/ titanium retainers
BC Stage 4 camshafts w/ adjustable cam gears
AmmFab Centerfeed Intake
MPx 70mm Throttle Body
Oil Flow Modifier
Factory Head Gasket
ARP Head Studs

Turbo System:
Borg Warner S471 Billet Wheel Turbo
BPA Twin Scroll Tubular Manifold
Twin Tial 44mm Gates
Tunergeeks Race Intercooler
TiAl 50mm Blow Off Valve
Custom 3" Intercooler Piping with Quick-release V-Band Clamps
Custom 4" Hood/Cowl Dump with wastegates dumps

Fuel & Tuning:
BST Front Mount Fuel Cell
No Fuel Pump decided yet
Fullblown Fuel Rail
Fuelab 56504 Regulator
-10 Fuel Line, -8 Return Line
4x Bosch 2200cc Injectors
75spi Map Sensor
Haltech Elite 1500 standalone with plug and play harness and Racepak Dash
Will be tuned on e85 or 116, haven't made the decision yet until I speak with my tuner.

Driveline:
ACT Twin Disk Clutch
Upgraded Pivot Ball
Monster Billet Clutch Fork
Mopar TOB
Rage-Tek Accelerator Shaft
Rage-Tek ¾ Shift Fork
Upgraded Snap Ring
AGP Turbo billet shift selector
Rage-Tek billet clutch pedal pivot
Top and Bottom Scatter Shields
Hurst Shifter
Realtune Shifter Cables (Still being produced)
OE Axles

Suspension/Brakes:
BC Coilovers with 1000lb rear springs
Base Neon Front Brake Conversion with Extended Studs
FCS Lightweight Rear Brake Setup and Control Arms/Trailing Arms
Sheldon Brake Booster Delete with Wilwood Brake Cylinder to front brakes
Custom Staging Brake to rear brakes
Realtune Billet Front Control Arms with Realtune Bushings
Realtune Tubular K-Frame
BrutalSpeed K-Frame/Rad Trans Support Mount
Solid 4th mount & Prolite Engine Bracket
Solid Trans. mount
Hotchkis 24mm Rear Sway Bar (Full Stiff)
13" Front Bogart Drag Wheels
15" Rear Bogart Skinnies

Body/Others:
Fiberglass Wide Front Fenders
Carbon Fiber Hood & Carbon Trunk
Dzus 1/4 turn quick release bumper fasteners
BrutalSpeed Tubular Lower Rad Support
BrutalSpeed Chute Mount with Stroud Chute and Release
Gutted Factory Doors with Lexan Windows
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
10 pt. Chromoly Roll Cage, NHRA Certified to go 8.50 & slower.
G-Force 5-pt. Harnesses
Brent Sharp Swirl Pot
Custom Small Aluminum Radiator with Spal Fan(s)
Custom Oil Catch Can/Breather Setup
Custom made Coolant Overflow
Painless whole car wiring harness and 8 switch rocker panel
AEM Digital Boost Gauge
AEM Digital Wideband
De-Powered Rack/Powersteering Delete
A/C Deleted
Sheldon Race Seat Mount with Kirkey Aluminum Seat
VMS Rear Bumper Diffusers

If anyone has any input, suggestions and whatnot feel free. Thanks for reading! Also my name is Colin Moyle, I've been posting regularly on Facebook lately as well so people can put a forum name to the person.

On to the pictures!

So heres my old car before the accident

And after…

The trailer I purchased before picking up the new car

The day I picked up the beast! Sorry about the pictures my dad didn't realize rain got on the lens.

My new garages and its new home.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck with your build and the car.

I'm not totally far from Maple Grove, a little over 2 hrs and 15 minutes give or take and the same with beaver springs.

If you ever go Maple Grove on the Weekends, let me know I will support ya.

#4 · (Edited)
Continued build pictures:

Here's some pictures of the twin disc after two track seasons.

On a side note, my bumper from the red car wasn't a complete loss. A buddy of mine that does circle track racing was in the need of a bumper for his neon and I offered him mine to try and repair and see what he could do with it, needless to say…. IT TURNED OUT AWESOME!

#6 · (Edited)
A little update while I'm waiting for the clutch to come back from being rebuilt. So between my trailer and the height of the car always making it difficult to load and then also there being the catch can setup and coolant overflow behind the bumper underneath the headlights I needed a better and faster way to get the bumper off. I know some aren't the biggest fans of the Dzus fastners but I like the way they turned out. I orignally was gonna try some sort of draw clamp style fastner but couldn't find any I really liked so I settled with these. 2 on each side and 3 under the hood for 7 total and solid as can be.

#8 ·
Car is back together and was running good. Had it down to Ocean City, MD for Cruisin' weekend but started have some rich idle issues, think it's due to an exhaust leak. Also found out the 2-step isn't working so gonna figure those two things out and then hit the track!

#10 ·
Been chasing the idle issue the last couple weeks, finally found that my upstream o2 sensor went bad creating bad readings and making the pcm dump fuel.

Went to the track last night, first time attempting to launch on slicks. Didn't even get off the line on the first pass and broke the passenger axle. Thankfully I have spare stockers but now I'll have to send this one back to DCR to get rebuilt. Gonna try and go next Friday with better results.

#12 · (Edited)
Got 3 passes in last night. First pass didn't launch it, just wanted to get it down the track. Second pass lowered the 2-step to 5500 and ran 12.2 @126 with a 2.0 60'. Third run my 2-step stopped working at the line and couldn't get it figured out after so called it a night.

#15 · (Edited)
Times from last night. Got a new personal best of 11.5 @ 124. Still gotta get my 60' under control. Car bogs right off the line launching at 6600 with no tire spin but picks up and backhalfs like a train. Anyone have some suggestions?

#18 · (Edited)
Unfortunately I couldn't change a thing because I forgot my laptop. This was the first outing where I had nothing go wrong so I was just happy to get down the track consecutively. Next time I'm definitely gonna log the runs and post them up to look over.

When you say letting off the clutch to fast do you mean dumping it off the line? With the twin disk I pretty much have no choice especially once it gets hot.

#26 ·
I forgot you have a twin disc. It's hit or miss for some I guess. Some people dump the clutch and get away with it.

I don't dump the clutch but ride it until it rolls but I have a different clutch.

If you raise the boost in 1st too much you may have to much tire spin. Doesn't hurt to try though.

If you are falling out of boost to much raise it up a little bit, maybe 2 psi or so and work with the tire pressure.

#30 ·
I would kind of compare Maple Grove to MIR. The facilities are similar and professional. MIR IREV has any event this upcoming 24th and there will be a few srt-4's racing. Even Nigel is planning to come to the event which will be worth the trip.

Cecil County Dragway in Rising Sune, MD is also close to you and thats another place I can go to and would travel with the truck and dolly.

3hrs one way is probably my max unless the event is worth truck and trailoring the car to.

#31 · (Edited)
Just a little update on the car:

I changed the settings of the boost box so I'll be running 15psi in first out of the hole and see what traction I have.

Also in the process of removing the front sway bar and changing out the rear stock sway bar with a hotchkis piece, gonna be set to full hard.

Debating swapping out the AGP coilovers with BC's that I have, not really liking the AGP ones. Then gonna take it to a local guy to get an alignment done for the track, not really sure if one was ever done for that sole purpose (-1 camber in front, 0 camber in back, 0 toe all around and as much positive caster as I can run in the front) gonna have it done at stripped weight with me in the car.

Replacing the lower control arm bushings and possibly ball joints, they have definitely seen better days.

Stripping out the SRS seats and some other odds and ends to lose some weight.

Also need to figure out what to do with the lightweight battery I have, constantly needs a jump at the track after a couple of runs even after its been on a battery tender for days before heading to the track, looking at options of moving a full size battery to the trunk.

Other then that I'm contemplating putting in a water injection kit I have laying around to run straight distilled water to combat some heat soak and high egts with back to back runs the car is doing at test and tune nights.

#32 ·
Mr. Moyle! I just so happened to feel inclined to login to this place today, and saw the link over on my old build thread. Glad to see you're moving right along. I had no idea your car was broken into and lost a bunch of stuff, sorry to hear about that. If you got any questions, hopefully you got my #, but if not, facebook is a good way to get in touch.

I never did do a track specific alignment, but I would always set the all of the coilovers to full stiff when I got to the track.

If you want to step up this thing to a whole new world, it's pretty simple, but it's just going to cost some coin. I couldnt bring myself to dumping another $5k in upgrades to get a tubular manifold setup and all the fixins to go with it to take full advantage of everything else I did to the car. It's got the MAPs to run crazy boost, the fuel setup, the driveline, and the right engine to go well into the 10s........just needs the right tune and turbo/manifold to make the power.

Good Luck and I look forward to stopping in here occasionally to see what's the latest.

#33 ·
Tyler! What's up man, long time no talk. Sorry you haven't seen much updates, with not being on facebook for a while all my track outings were pretty much just updated on here.

I just recently bought a welder from a shop that was going out of business and a bunch of pipe so I might try my hand at making my own tubular setup. Still trying to get a idle issue bug figured out, I'm thinking I finally have it pinpointed to a cam or crank position sensor.

Other than that the car has changed a little from the last time you saw it, just making it more track oriented. Hopefully some time either I'm at an event you can make it to and we can have Shawn come out too.

#37 ·
I'll have to meet up with you one of these days at a local track, Island is about an hour from my garage, as is e-town (even though I live 20 mins away, ugh).

Im shaking the cob webs off mine for the year and getting the pump tune dialed in before summer e85 starts flowing then I'll try to keep up.

#38 ·
Yeah that would definitely be awesome. Right now I'm just doing Island to get the car and myself consistent enough, then I'd like to do Maple Grove, Englishtown and Atco. Last time I was at Island I met Bogdan and always like meeting other owners that actually track their car.

Are you talking about your first gen car or the Srt?

#39 ·
Was at Numidia Dragway this past Sunday but just had more issues. Broke the driver axle on the first pass so now I'm on OE axles completely, the DCR ones just can't seem to handle the track. Was able to swap out the axle and get some runs in but running on lower boost settings for fear of breaking something else right at the beginning of the season. Got comfortable launching the car again and will be at Island Dragway on May 1st and the car will get everything I can throw at it and see what it can do.

#40 ·
That blows but at least you were able to fix and continue racing, I personally send my axles in every off season for rebuilds. always nice when they call and say hey we have the newest version of your old axle and we are gonna replace for free. hope you get back out and crank out a 10, I followed tylers build from the beginning and nice to see the car is still out there putting in work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.