Spec Stage 3 clutch review - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down Spec Stage 3 clutch review

Ive been running the Spec 3 clutch for about 3000 miles now so I figured it was time to post my opinions on it to maybe help some of you guys out in your search for a better clutch. Ill start by just saying I HATE THIS CLUTCH!
I picked it because its listed as a street/strip clutch, meaning to me that you should be able to use it regularly on the street and at the track without to many ill effects, WRONG! For everyday street use this clutch is way to harsh. Its put a vibration in the car since day one, anytime the car gets to about 2200-2300rpm I get this constant vibration that shakes the mirrors and only stops once I past this rpm. Its kind of like having all solid metal motor mounts. Also when pulling out its really hard to keep it from shaking the car, makes a really jerkey feel as if the mounts were broke. It also chatters like a bitch which I could live with if it wasnt for the other problems that killed the driveability of the car. Spec kept telling me that the vibrations would die down after it broke in, well it still feels the same as day one. Sometimes on pulling out it feels like it maybe slipping alittle too. Over all this clutch is not a good choice if your driving the car daily. Im doing a turbo kit after the first of the year is why I chose this one but I think Im now going to try the Centerforce after Ray@IPP s success with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 04:47 PM
SRTforums Member

That sucks. Glad I went with Clutchmasters. I've had mine in for 12,000miles and is an excellent street clutch and I've put it through the ringer at the track. No problems what so ever. I installed the Stage III FX300....

"485hp@453tq 11.8@123mph"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Seems like people here are having better luck with the clutchmasters clutch.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 04:52 PM
SRTforums Member

Get rid of it soon. You don't want to be another SPEC statistic.

04 Jet Black Project NSRT.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 08:31 PM
SRTforums Member

From what i have been hearing spec must have had a design flaw in the srt-4 stage 3 clutch. My stage 3 spec clutch is the shit for my stang. I had a dual friction centerforce and it started slipping after 10k miles. And dont take this the wrong way, but anyone who complains about the driveability of a stage 3 clutch is insane. It is made that way for a reason, to last under the abuse a high hp engine puts it through, and none of the stage 3 clutches will be like a stock clutch. Simple solution, if the car you are putting it in is a daily driver.....dont do it.....

MY CAR

Yes, it is faster than your srt-4! (but not Dynoworks)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realfast89gt
From what i have been hearing spec must have had a design flaw in the srt-4 stage 3 clutch. My stage 3 spec clutch is the shit for my stang. I had a dual friction centerforce and it started slipping after 10k miles. And dont take this the wrong way, but anyone who complains about the driveability of a stage 3 clutch is insane. It is made that way for a reason, to last under the abuse a high hp engine puts it through, and none of the stage 3 clutches will be like a stock clutch. Simple solution, if the car you are putting it in is a daily driver.....dont do it.....
no offense taken, thats why Im doing this review. I asked around and certain people said that this clutch would work fine for a daily car, I dont want others to get it and be as disapointed as I am and ok its not for daily usage but it still shouldnt be slipping.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:14 AM
SRTforums Member

I've got 1680 on the spec stage 3 and I have no complaints at all, I drive about 40 to 80 miles daily, havent had any issues...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:27 AM
SRTforums Member

i have the spec3f clutch on my car with 50 trim.. i got alot of chatter but.. you can still slip the clutch.. i say the clutch is very very streetable.. if anything i need one that has a hard enguagement. but i am use to running my 1 gen with no sprug hub clutch.. so this clutch is nothing.

HOME OF THE MOST HP SRT4 ON NO SPRAY!! WITH 31psi BOOST
FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS RAGE-TEK IS THE ANSWER

Shop (954) 978-0978
Cell (954) 274-4175

http://mike-castaldo.tripod.com/
also check herehttp://home.comcast.net/~extreme1neo...ome.html-.html
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:55 AM
User Banned

You cant expect to buy a stage 3 clutch and expect it to be warm and fuzzy like the stock clutch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:43 AM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riven
You cant expect to buy a stage 3 clutch and expect it to be warm and fuzzy like the stock clutch.
Can i expect YOU to be all warm and fuzzy?

*side note* Thanks for the reviews guys. Different strokes for different folks i guess. Someday I'll be shoppin in this market. Hope i get enough feedback from guys like you to make an intelligent guess as to what will fit me.

Mods. . . Does it matter? Its still "just a neon"

*sniffle sniffle* SOLD
Current Ride: 02 T/A WS.6 (lightly modded)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:45 AM
SRTforums Member

i had 4 spec clutches and 1 broken tranny because of it. now i switched to centerforce and love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode