Side-exit exhaust legal in Canada? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > Regional Forums > International Forums > Canadian

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 7884
Default Side-exit exhaust legal in Canada?

Hey guys, I'm considering the Maxxfab side-exit and was wondering if it's legal in Canada (in particular Ontario and Quebec would be most important I guess since I do most of my driving in both provinces). Does anyone have this info or know where to look?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 4456

Quote: Originally Posted by Speedy Neon
Hey guys, I'm considering the Maxxfab side-exit and was wondering if it's legal in Canada (in particular Ontario and Quebec would be most important I guess since I do most of my driving in both provinces). Does anyone have this info or know where to look?

Thanks

Don't know about legal information but I have seen a local SRT-4 with a custom side exhaust.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 12117

Hey Speedy Neon,

I have side exit on my SRT, and it is legal. Just make sure if you have it done get a resonator. Sport compact car had a article a while back when they converted their SRT to a side exit exhaust. If you do not get a resonator It will be so loud you will not have a chance of carying on a conversation. I may be wrong but I believe you can route your exhaust any way you like, but you must adhere to noise and pollution laws. So a Cat and resonator is a must.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 7884

Cool, thanks for the info Oshawa, how do you like the side exit so far?
Do you have a custom one or the Maxxfab?
any ground clearance problems with the snow by chance?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Well, I have the maxfabb down pipe. Then the rest was done by a custom shop. There is no real problem with ground clearence. just make sure you have a small gap like a 1/4" for heat dissapation. Snow should not be a bother because of the heat as well. But I love it. Especially the flames.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 840

nope, a side exit exhaust is NOT legal, atleast in Ontario. I've actually been ticketed twice for it. Your exhaust must exit at the rear of the vehicle... I've had a twin side exhaust with no resonator or muffler for almost two years... so i have experience with it.

I know exactly what some one is gonna say: "But what about the Ford lightning or viper or svt stang? They have side exhaust factory!"

I'm aware of that, that is because they are coupes. The exhaust MUST exit a certain distance behind the passenger compartment. Since they are coupe there is plenty of room after the door to the compartment to place an exhaust. The problem is that the SRT is a 4 door car. Therefore, a side exhaust would exit essentially right underneath the rear passenger door. THIS IS WHAT MAKES IT ILLEGAL.

I've asked numerous metro, opp, and mto cops about this and they ALL say the same thing. So take your risk... cops don't seem to bother me cuz it's a PT and they think it's "cool"...

SRT-4- AGP 50 trim .63 A/R, Turbonetics Evolution WG, RC Injectors (750's), Walbro 255lph, Apex'i SAFCII, AGP Motor Mounts, AGP 3" CAI, AGP Race FMIC, AGP UHP, HKS SSQV BOV, Turbo XS HPBC, 3" Perrin TBE, Skunk2 Race Springs, MSD Tach Driver, MSD Blaster coil-pack, MSD 8.5mm Super-Conductor Wires, NGK Copper V-grooves, 17" Fast Wheels...

**12's at 121mph: Blown clutch, on 3 cylinders, and a Full Slick
Old 01-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Ok it seems there is a problem here. Because I heard something completely different. Now that I am curious, I will to try and find a copy of the highway traffic law book, or act?
Old 01-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3132

Quote: Originally Posted by oshawa SRT
Ok it seems there is a problem here. Because I heard something completely different. Now that I am curious, I will to try and find a copy of the highway traffic law book, or act?

ontario traffic law:

Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1).

no exhaust system shall be shortened or modified from original equipment so as to fail to direct the exhaust beyond the underbody of the occupant compartment or luggage compartment, and in no case shall the distance between the outlet and periphery of the underbody, past which it directs the exhaust, exceed 15 centimetres.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

chalk one up for pt turbo boys!!!!!!!!! thanks Punch...

SRT-4- AGP 50 trim .63 A/R, Turbonetics Evolution WG, RC Injectors (750's), Walbro 255lph, Apex'i SAFCII, AGP Motor Mounts, AGP 3" CAI, AGP Race FMIC, AGP UHP, HKS SSQV BOV, Turbo XS HPBC, 3" Perrin TBE, Skunk2 Race Springs, MSD Tach Driver, MSD Blaster coil-pack, MSD 8.5mm Super-Conductor Wires, NGK Copper V-grooves, 17" Fast Wheels...

Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 10763

Vipers are side exit... ? They are legal.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

read the thread before posting.... this means look at my previous posts in this thread...

I even quoted your question before you asked it.... damn i'm psychic

Old 01-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 10243

Anybody know about Alberta?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 10243

http://www.tu.gov.ab.ca/Publications/Legislation.asp

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine
must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the
exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without
producing flames or sparks.
(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled
by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the
muffler has been widened.
(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled
by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the
exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the
expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited
from the exhaust system.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

oh man that sucks for you guys... that basically means you can get a ticket for modding your stock exhaust!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread