Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 PM
2011 Calendar Car
SRT of the Month

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the point of a theme? I don't think that would add any value to the section. I do think that it should be a blind poll. I probably won't vote again until it is.

RIP Jon Timko 1981-2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Nazi Admin

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
a theme would make things interesting like pics at the track (have people take a picture at the track).... how do you propose we do a blind poll. I know it is kind of a popularity contest in a way but i don't really see another way around it. The members are still going to post whose car is who and won't be able to keep it blind 100%.

ran a 12.11 at 111 on the stock turbo 1.68 60ft
DRIVE A 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 CS
425/397 JLT intake, Arh headers catless x pipe, gt 500 axle back exhaust, and bama tuner
post #63 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
2011 Calendar Car
SRT of the Month

I don't like the theme idea. It seems like it will just make it a bitch for whoever is nominated. I don't go to the track, so I won't ever have pics of my car at the track. What if the theme is pets, and the nominated user doesn't have a pet? What if it's an Easter theme and there's a nominee who's Jewish? It's just adding confusion for no real reason.

Every other forum I've been to that has polls makes them blind (see the totals, but not specifically who voted for who or what). I'm sure vBulletin will allow for blind polls.

RIP Jon Timko 1981-2011

post #64 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Nazi Admin

Lifetime Premium Member
oh i get what you are saying about a blind poll. If there was a way to make it blind to the members with us (admin/mods) able to view the results still it would work fine. The reason why we have it this way is because people tend to cheat and would make puppet accounts to up there votes. This way we can check to see who voted and make sure nobody cheats.

425/397 JLT intake, Arh headers catless x pipe, gt 500 axle back exhaust, and bama tuner
post #65 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 PM
2011 Calendar Car
SRT of the Month

That's what Conroy told me a few days ago. I get that you guys need to stay on top of cheaters, but as I told him, it may lead to a lot of butt-hurt-ness.

RIP Jon Timko 1981-2011
post #66 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Nazi Admin

Lifetime Premium Member
i will talk to the owner of the site to see if we can make it public for us and not the public but i am pretty sure that i asked already (a while ago when we first started srt of the month) and was told there isn't a way.

post #67 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
SRTforums Member

Not into the "theme" idea considering it's about the car not the setting of the month (props and crap). I do like the blind poll and the limit on people putting there car up every month till it wins. I like the poll but it's time for an update now that the corruption is evident.
post #68 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 PM
SRTforums Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Corruption?
post #69 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member
Ok so a few issues here I would like to address. First of all, ROTM is one of the only things I do follow on this site anymore. It is always an entertaining thread, fairly active, and a lot of fun. I think everyone involved has done a great job of both promoting it, and moderating it.

The first thing to address is Wigg-mans concerns on the blind poll issue. No one has gotten their feelings hurt this far, I doubt that would be an issue. Additionally, a large majority of voters publicly post who they voted for anyway.

The second issue is this 'themes' nonsense. I think you are taking away one of the most valuable pieces from ROTM and that is the open nominations every month. What you are proposing is only the members who can accomodate a theme and post pictures as such can participate. What about members who are overseas and have access to a computer with their pictures, but not their ride?

Another valid point that has been brought up already is a conflict in values. An easter theme singles out a group of people. Are we going to have a Shushan Purim or Passover theme for the jewish members? Or a Lailat al-Ma'raj theme for the muslim members?

I understand the intent, but it will take a value away from the contest. I think you are going to have an even tougher time then Conroy already has trying to get nominations secured and PMs responded to and folks actually participating in the contest after they are nominated.

This will decrease the popularity without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame View Post
I think the real joke is that the duck didn't want him and the Army wouldn't take him.
post #70 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:12 AM
2011 Calendar Car
SRT of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenser View Post
I understand the intent, but it will take a value away from the contest. I think you are going to have an even tougher time then Conroy already has trying to get nominations secured and PMs responded to and folks actually participating in the contest after they are nominated.
Excellent point. I know he has a hard enough time already. Themes would mean that polls wouldn't start 'til mid-month, I'd imagine.

RIP Jon Timko 1981-2011
post #71 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Nazi Admin

Lifetime Premium Member
It was a suggestion from two of the members from the site. Easter wasn't one of the things we were going to roll with it was just an idea for a theme. I really like some of the themes and think it will work quarterly throughout the year. Meaning four times out of the month we will bring in a theme. I understand where you guys are coming from but this is why I am putting it up for discussion before we implemented it. It is the members point of view that I want to get on this and not getting many members in here giving there .02. Maybe I will make a poll to see what the majority will be for Srt of the month.

post #72 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It was a suggestion from two of the members from the site. Easter wasn't one of the things we were going to roll with it was just an idea for a theme. I really like some of the themes and think it will work quarterly throughout the year. Meaning four times out of the month we will bring in a theme. I understand where you guys are coming from but this is why I am putting it up for discussion before we implemented it. It is the members point of view that I want to get on this and not getting many members in here giving there .02. Maybe I will make a poll to see what the majority will be for Srt of the month.
I completely understand the infatuation with the idea. If SRTotM was brand new and you were doing it from the beginning, more power to ya! BUT! You will lose some of the base you have developed. I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame View Post
I think the real joke is that the duck didn't want him and the Army wouldn't take him.
post #73 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Nazi Admin

Lifetime Premium Member
I was the one that started it btw from a suggestion from a member. I got the suggestion from a good buddy of mine and I ran with it. Changes aren't always a bad thing. Themes would broaden the amount of people that can participate as well.

post #74 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Nazi Admin

Lifetime Premium Member
Pm from a member:

The theme is not “nonsense” the theme will make it more challenging. Exp. You could have a bone stock SRT making a jump on dirt and a poser shot but I can tell you that I would vote for the guy making the jump because hes got balls doing something like that then just maxing out a credit card online. Its more of the effort put into getting the photo. Another thing is cutting out the photoshop and cropping and limiting it to resizing only not everyone has that technology and some people are still on dial up. It just makes it even across the board. It then make individual come up with his/her own creativity.

What would be better is get rid of the “nominated” issue and just have a thread started before the month starts and have everyone who wants to precipate post a photo in the thread, (you have till this day to submit your photos) those photos taken and put into the poll. The winner of the poll get put on list so he/she can’t enter again for XXX amount of time. There are a lot of people who have great cars that won’t ever get nominated this just makes it even across the board.

The themes can be discussed over the Mods and chosen for the month but these themes will be good to start with:
Drag strip racing
cars autocrossing
cars road racing
carshows
favorite sports
senic outdoor shots
city shots
burnout shots
creative VDay getaway
wet or soapy shots
reflection shots(window, water, another car, mirror)

now because someone said they can’t enter because they can do that theme well some people can’t enter because they don’t max out there credit card on parts. If you can’t precpate that month then hopefully you can the next month this puts everyone on the same playing field. If you don’t race then put them in the carshows, sports, senic, city, wet/soapy, reflection shots month. Those that do race it lets you come in to the picture and show us what your car can do. This will make it more interesting and also cut the popularity contest out.

I say get rid of the nominated like you’ve been doing in the past and open it up and let everyone in.
I say give it 3 months if it doesn’t work then go back to the nominated way.
I say start with Senic Outdoor shots, wet/soapy shots, and all Racing themes for this trial period.

post #75 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:09 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Pm from a member:

The theme is not ďnonsenseĒ the theme will make it more challenging. Exp. You could have a bone stock SRT making a jump on dirt and a poser shot but I can tell you that I would vote for the guy making the jump because hes got balls doing something like that then just maxing out a credit card online. Its more of the effort put into getting the photo. Another thing is cutting out the photoshop and cropping and limiting it to resizing only not everyone has that technology and some people are still on dial up. It just makes it even across the board. It then make individual come up with his/her own creativity.

What would be better is get rid of the ďnominatedĒ issue and just have a thread started before the month starts and have everyone who wants to precipate post a photo in the thread, (you have till this day to submit your photos) those photos taken and put into the poll. The winner of the poll get put on list so he/she canít enter again for XXX amount of time. There are a lot of people who have great cars that wonít ever get nominated this just makes it even across the board.

The themes can be discussed over the Mods and chosen for the month but these themes will be good to start with:
Drag strip racing
cars autocrossing
cars road racing
carshows
favorite sports
senic outdoor shots
city shots
burnout shots
creative VDay getaway
wet or soapy shots
reflection shots(window, water, another car, mirror)

now because someone said they canít enter because they can do that theme well some people canít enter because they donít max out there credit card on parts. If you canít precpate that month then hopefully you can the next month this puts everyone on the same playing field. If you donít race then put them in the carshows, sports, senic, city, wet/soapy, reflection shots month. Those that do race it lets you come in to the picture and show us what your car can do. This will make it more interesting and also cut the popularity contest out.

I say get rid of the nominated like youíve been doing in the past and open it up and let everyone in.
I say give it 3 months if it doesnít work then go back to the nominated way.
I say start with Senic Outdoor shots, wet/soapy shots, and all Racing themes for this trial period.
first post.

now those themes have worked on other forums for their ROTMs so if you do use them here i know they will work. some people wont like them because its weeding them out and forcing them to be different but it also give other people the chance to come out into the spotlight.

Nevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode