30mph over the speed limit - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
30mph over the speed limit

I was in Kansas City, Missouri for a job interview. While I was there I wanted to visit a friend of mine who lives in Iowa. After the job interview, she was supposed to come down and pick me up, but on her way down she hit black ice, spun out, hit a pole and totalled her car. Fortunately, she was alright and nothing happened to her. So I rent a car and leave for Iowa...I am only about 40 miles north of Kansas City (near Kearney, Clinton County) when I get pulled over for driving 105mph. The cop handcuffs me and takes me to jail. I wasn't switching lanes or anything, just speeding. He then writes two tickets:

1. Exceded Posted Speed Limit
2. Following A Vehicle Too Closely

So I had to bond out on the spot cuz I don't know anyone in Missouri, and they tell me that my court date is on Feb 28 and that I have to be there.

Now the complication is that I am a college student and I live in California (bay area) and I can't really afford to fly again to Kansas City, MO. I tried talking to the Court Clerk to see if I can plean 'nolo contendre' and accept the fines and Traffic School, but that didn't work and she told me that I should talk to a lawyer cuz it has been filed as a misdemeanor.

I just wanted some opinions on this, and hear from people who have been in similar situation. Just looking online I was able to gather that 20mph over the speed limit is considered reckless driving which is a misdemeanor. The cop didn't cut me any slack, he didn't reduce the speed he wrote on the ticket from 105. This is the FIRST time i've ever gotten into any kind of traffic/court trouble...I have no traffic tickets and my record is squeaky clean. I am thinking about contacting a lawyer from Clinton County so he can go to the court for me.

What impact will this have on my driving record? Will it be a problem when I am looking for jobs, like will it prevent me from getting a job? Any info is much appreciated.

-G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:57 PM
SRTforums Member

I live in clinton county...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:14 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropelie
I live in clinton county...

Dumbest post I've ever seen.

Anyway.. sorry to hear about the ticket. I had a reckless driving ticket when I got into a wreck. All I had to do was attend a driver's class and it was dropped completely..

You should definately get a lawyer, the one I got bailed me out of my situation.

Good luck in your case.

DBs Garage Built SRT-4
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 07:32 AM
SRTforums Member

ugh, i had a really bad experience with speeding and court dates and crap. I was doing 100 in a 65 zone (the cop caught me at 94 tho, so only 29 miles over *phew*). Well the old impotent son of a bitch gave me a ticket and told me that I had to appear in court. This was about 2 and a half hours from my house so I asked him if it were possible to move the "trial" or whatever up to a courthouse that would be closer to my house. He told me that if I didn't show up in that court house on that date, that there would be a warrant out for my arrest yadda yadda yadda. Well, I missed school and everything and drove down for my court date and wouldn't you know - my name wasn't on the list to go before the judge. I went to the main office and asked what was going on, showed them my ticket, etc. Turns out, a court appearance was NOT necessary and the dried up bastard was just trying to scare the crap out of me or something. So I paid of the ticket right then and there and went home - 4 hours of my time and $30 bucks in gas that I wasted. Cops are idiots.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:49 AM
SRTforums Member

first, i'll give you my experience's, then tell you not to do what i did, then offer some real advise.

the only speading ticket i ever got in my life was in indiana, they nailed me for 20 over the limit reckless driveing charge and all that good stuff.....i found out that speading ticket's are not extraditible offenses (at least between IA and IL.), and so i never went back to indiana. i believe the warrent for my arrest in Indiana had a statute of limitations of ten year's, but i still have no reson for ever going back.

i don't recomend circomeventing the law, esp. if you'll be returning to that state at some point in time. your insurance company get's all pissy for a while,. and every time you get pulled over at home they feal the need to tell you that your a wanted man even though they can't do anything about it.

you may be able to get a lawyer to represent you while your out of state, and allow you to attend a driveing school in cali. however alot of judge's prefer to have the accussed in their court room. some state's even require it by law, but either way you need to talk to a lawyer to get it done.

"Necessity is the plea for infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt

Federalist Papers

Reverend of The Universal Life Church
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Here is the update guys:

I got to a lawyer in clinton county who said he should be able to get me a fine + traffic school and it won't go on my record. But after talking to the judge the lawyer said that's not possible because the judge insists on giving me minimum 48 hour jail sentence. And that jail time must be served in Clinton County MO...I am shocked and surprised to say the least.

I have two options now, since traffic offenses are not extraditable, I can just forget about it and never go back to MO. But the problem with this option is that I had to post a $1k bond to get out, and $1k is a lot of money for a college student. What are the repercussions if i choose this option? For how long will it be on my record and what is "statute of limitations" (as wildmousex mentioned in earlier post: "i believe the warrent for my arrest in Indiana had a statute of limitations of ten year's")?

The other option is just to go to jail.

I am thinkin about a 3rd option of writing a letter to the judge, explaining how I am a poor college student on the verge of graduating and looking for jobs... Can you guys help me out on what I should say/how I should say it?

Thanks,
-G
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:07 PM
SRTforums Member

Wow, jail for 30 over?

I would be in federal prison for the crap I pulled years back.

Honestly, I would try the letter. I don't really recommend NOT going to jail if you are sentenced. It's all up to you. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSRT-4
i'd do my sister if she was hot
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:09 PM
SRTforums Member

wow all this for speed that sucks..goodluck wish i could help

I have mods...but then again my warranty is 12.8@107
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:15 PM
SRTforums Member

This is fucking bullshit. Fuck that shit hole. Jail for speeding is fucking ridiculous. Unless it is 100 in a school zone or residential or some wacko shit.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get rich quick theory of life.
-Theodore Roosevelt-

Every generation needs a new revolution.
-Thomas Jefferson-
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:47 PM
SRTforums Member

u could try writing a letter, but i don't think that it'll do much. the law doesn't really give a shit about ur situation IMO, at least that's the experience i had. but i guess it's worth a shot! good luck, and keep us updated :-)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 07:29 PM
SRTforums Member

I know back in the day you could have outstanding trafic issues in one state and your home state would never care about it... I know now they keep in touch and will do something (at least between VT and NH). A friend if mind had an unpaid speeding ticket in NH resulting in suspention of driving privilages in NH... he ignored it and watched his ass in NH... well time went byt and he eventualy needed to renew his VT drivers licence and the refused to renew it untill he settled his busness with NH!!!!!

the wonderfull world of computers!!!

-Caine

srt4_texas: ...It's just funny that what people used to find abrasive and immoral is now normal and commonplace.

HYDCSX400: now suck my balls
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Here is the update:

I get 2 days in jail, in MO . So take a guess where I'll be for spring break.

middle finger to the law. now i understand how the system churns out criminals.

-G
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

How soon do insurance companies find out about something like this on someone's record? And how much do they raise the premium by?

Thanks,
-G

ps: just curious, anybody here live around kansas city area?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:10 AM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4jatt
Here is the update:

I get 2 days in jail, in MO . So take a guess where I'll be for spring break.

middle finger to the law. now i understand how the system churns out criminals.

-G
that suck's, but it could have been alot worse

at least you'll be getting a roof over your head, 3 hot meal's a day, time to yourself to rest and relax, and you get to keep your liscense...all in all it sound's like a pretty sweet set-up.

FYI, don't spead in wisconsin, you either need to pay the ticket up front or go directly to jail till your court apreaence.

"Necessity is the plea for infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt

Federalist Papers

Reverend of The Universal Life Church
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:21 AM
SRTforums Member

"Hey Peter!!... Watch your corn hole!"

-Caine

srt4_texas: ...It's just funny that what people used to find abrasive and immoral is now normal and commonplace.

HYDCSX400: now suck my balls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode